67s vs a 3bet and a call on the Button

Blade76Blade76 Red Chipper Posts: 26 ✭✭
edited March 2015 in Online Poker Hands
PokerStars - $0.25 Ante $0.05 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 5 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BB: $98.70 (VPIP: 39.17, PFR: 25.00, 3Bet Preflop: 9.26, Hands: 120)
UTG: $63.71
CO: $51.06 (VPIP: 33.80, PFR: 11.27, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 72)
Hero (BTN): $25.00
SB: $24.16 (VPIP: 50.00, PFR: 50.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 6)

SB posts SB $0.10, BB posts BB $0.25, 5 players post ante of $0.05

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.60) Hero has 6:spade: 7:spade:

fold, fold, Hero raises to $0.60, SB raises to $1.50, BB calls $1.25, Hero calls $0.90

Flop: ($4.75, 3 players) 9:spade: 7:diamond: 5:spade:
SB bets $4.54, BB calls $4.54, Hero??

So what is my play here? Is the Preflop call ok?

Comments

• Chacarron91Chacarron91 Red Chipper Posts: 20
    Hi blade76,

Your preflop call is good here and in my opinion better than 4b-bluffing since they both look fishy, have full stacks and the 3b sizing he made looks small/bad

OTF i think calling IP here is the best option since we dont know if they fold hands like TP, OPs or stronger flushdraws with overs to your pair. Youre IP and you can us this to your advantage.
  • BotswanaNickBotswanaNick Red Chipper Posts: 696 ✭✭✭
    Pre-flop, if we were facing a normal size 3bet (3x our raise) and BB had folded, I would definitely prefer a fold at this stack size. But in this case, I think it is a mandatory call given the odds we are getting.

On the flop, I think I would just prefer a shove here. I agree that we probably won't be getting overpairs or bigger flush draws to fold (maybe a 9 or TT folds), but we still have plenty of equity against these hands. And we are happy to fold out overcard hands (especially a hand like :As:Kh ) that have some equity against us. Also, if a spade does come, it will become harder to get paid off. So I think with this exact hand I just stick it in.
  • Rello242Rello242 Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 595 ✭✭
    I completely agree with Nick about shoving here, I just want to add to it by covering the "Why" part to it. Without any special reads or nothing, I'll say the SB 3bet is small and by default I think a small raise is an indicator of a more weaker range. The BB is much harder to put on a range but in times where its more difficult to give a proper range i eliminate holdings that i likely won't see such as AA, KK, QQ, AK, AKs. Basically the rough Top 3% of his range would be coming over the top at some point.

With that being said, I'll say by default i expect to see a more merged range here with 99+/AJo+/ATs+/KQo/KQs. Something that your regular fish may see as a really good hand and want to randomly raise here. So going into postflop the thing here is this, the BB looks passive so he could be calling anything from bottom pair to draws. The BB being involve do hurt your equity but not by alot, probably like 10% at best, with his wide range.The key point here is understanding how well you do against the SB. If we look at how your hand do against overpairs alone vs the SB your doing slightly better than a coin toss and yes you do have more equity than his overpairs. With overcards added in his range your like 60% good against his range. Even with the big blind involve you are doing really well on the flop. Shoving becomes your best move on the flop here because after the turn, if you hit a blank, your equity decreases by a good bit and your most likely to face a bigger bet on the turn. Shoving eliminates overcards and only allows overpairs for SB to call and even wider range for BB to call if he wants to commit any of his made hands in the pot. The fold equity is good and if you get call your equity is good enough that you double and potentially triple up in most cases.

If you would like to go into deeper discussion about this I'll be more than happy to provide combonations and equity calculations.

Hope you find this helpful along with the other advices and good luck at the tables.
    -Rello

"Its better to give than to receive, so bet more and call less"
    Check out my HUSNG Graph: Chips-Results
    Follow All the Action On My Blog: www.rello242.blogspot.com
  • babyblue27babyblue27 Red Chipper Posts: 1
    i think from the start opening 69s is -ev play
    i dont mind if you wanna go and bluff this hand all the way but you dont have info on a player to start opening like that
    and if you allready did
    i guess shoving is not a good idea , maybe calling him on the flop may sounds better
  • Chacarron91Chacarron91 Red Chipper Posts: 20
    Solid/interesting discussion we're having here guys!

Opening 67s OTB is a must.. I think you miss read his hand? (not 69s)

I still think that fllatting here is best tho because the SB made a small 3b pre then cbet for pot. I doubt he's ever bluffing here. If he does this with a value hand i don't see him ever folding. I think us jamming looks bluffy to him (looks like a FD).

I think If we do make our hand on the turn we can still get paid off by worse because most bad players who have hands like QQ+ will still get sticky with them because they like to feel "unlucky" type thing (specially if the have a spade themselves).

If this was a HU pot i think jamming is better here but since we're getting direct pot odds flatting is my option. I can deff see an argument for both tho. Also if I was out of position I would x/jam this.. but i just think being IP and getting great pot odds that calling's the way to go here.
  • SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 4,034 -
    My thoughts:

[video]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file