working on my custom ranges

SixthStreetSixthStreet Red Chipper Posts: 255 ✭✭
edited March 2015 in General Concepts
I am gong to post what I am doing and please tell me if on right track of constructing ranges for different situations.
Going to base this on pre-flop. Well I know lots of player types, but just starting with what I seeing the most common range in games I play. Couple guys are tighter and few are looser.

#1 small blind 3bet vs btn open.

BTN 1 30% 394 combos: AA-22,AKs-A2s,KQs-K9s,QJs-Q9s,JTs-J9s,T9s-T8s,98s-97s,87s-86s,76s,65s,54s,43s,AKo-A9o,A5o-A2o,KQo-KTo,QJo-QTo,JTo,T9o

SB 2 15% 192 combos: AA-55,AKs-A8s,A5s-A2s,KQs-K9s,QJs-QTs,JTs,T9s,AKo-ATo,KQo

Equity 1: 43.280% Win 1: 41.418% Tie 1: 3.724%
Equity 2: 56.720% Win 2: 54.858% Tie 2: 3.724%

#2 BTN 3bet vs UTG-UTG2

UTG-UTG2 1 10% 130 combos: AA-88,AKs-ATs,KQs-KTs,QJs-QTs,JTs,AKo-AJo,KQo
BTN 2 2.7% 36 combos: AA-JJ,AKs-AQs,KQs

Equity 1: 36.331% Win 1: 34.312% Tie 1: 4.040%
Equity 2: 63.669% Win 2: 61.649% Tie 2: 4.040%

The reason doing 3 bet is because I need to figure out when to use that more in the games I play to take lead and get used to being out of comfort zone.

See if my logic is right. In a cash game where I have this much +EV. knowing the initial raiser might stack off with 90-100% of this range. I can call that with top 80% or even my whole range.

*** Forbidden. Please enable JavaScript. Antispam service cleantalk.org. ***

Comments

• Rello242Rello242 Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 595 ✭✭
    I remember when i was wrapping my head around this whole process, it could be very frustrating at first but i like the fact that you are starting somewhere.

Now, cutting straight to the chase, i would like to say that my opinion is neither perfect nor is it to discourage how you are going about constructing your range. By that being said, I hope my opinion can influence your range construction and make the process a bit more easier.

One of the things I had to understand about ranges is that it will always change based on villian range + action. So for example what is my 3bet range against someone who opens 10% and fold 80% to 3bet? What is my 3bet range against someone who opens 10% and fold 40% to 3bet?

Think about when you are using a polarized range, de-polarized range or a merge range as well.

The idea here is what is your goal in your range? Against someone who opens 10% and folds 40% to 3bet, your goal of your range is to expand your value range and take advantage of the villian calling (or 4betting) to wide. Against someone who opens 10% and folds 80%, you want to take advantage of making him fold his weaker range and pick up the extra money as much as you can without forcing him/her to adjust.

Blind defending is much more complicated but the goal should be the same.

The thing here that i am trying to get across without just throwing some pre-defined ranges at you is that you should have ranges based on your villian. Your range should have a "goal" against the different types of villian you face. If you are thinking about 3betting more, take into consideration about how much fold equity you need. Think about how to handle 10% open against different fold percentages. I like to group my percentages by multiple of 10's for this. For example, i would have a range against people who fold in the 70%'s (70% - 79%), a range for people who fold in the 60%'s (60% - 69%). usually 80%+ would be under a set range and 40% and below would have a set range.

This accomplishes 2 things:

1. It keeps profitability at its highest
    2. It makes adjusting so much easier by knowing how you react as they re-adjust to you.

I would recommend taking it a step at a time by making a range for a specific villian first and just attack that range and just add more as you get comfortable, and re-tweak your ranges. Most of this i use in my blind vs blind play, i really do not have much of a 3bet range for UTG openers, except i just decide if my value hands will get more value by flatting or raising (Based on their fold range) and make a plan from there.

I tend to keep all of this stuff based on blind steal open, blind defending and blind re-stealing, which in my opinion is going to be a way more profitable spot than trying to pick with earlier raises.

Hope my opinion can help your construction and maybe one of the coaches on the site can help you even more than i can.

-Rello
    -Rello

"Its better to give than to receive, so bet more and call less"
    Check out my HUSNG Graph: Chips-Results
    Follow All the Action On My Blog: www.rello242.blogspot.com
  • SixthStreetSixthStreet Red Chipper Posts: 255 ✭✭
    rello;
    thanks for your opinion. I am looking for advise like that. I want this to simple so i can remember this stuff at the table. right now I am working on ranges based on the regs i play with and more skilled players I could run into.
    Im glad i can help, out of curiosity, is this for live games or online games?
    -Rello

Im glad i can help, out of curiosity, is this for live games or online games?
    -Rello

• SixthStreetSixthStreet Red Chipper Posts: 255 ✭✭
    Mostly live. The online is ok, but I like being around people. I feel like I can read people good. I natural people watcher.
    Ok awesome, well with the absence of having a HUD and sample size on players, i would create more simple ranges. For example, I would probably stick to 3 stealing ranges from the BTN. One against players who rarely folds, One against players who fold a ton and one as more of a default/50-50 range against players who folds a good bit and call a good bit. Something of that nature, just be careful with using 1 range for different types of players and this should also allow you to re-adjust to anybody who might be adjusting to you.

:D
    -Rello

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file