When 3 Barrels Go bad

ChipTraderChipTrader Red Chipper Posts: 178
edited August 2014 in Online Poker Hands
In hindsight this hand was played bad I think because Villain was calling me light all night but I had doubled up on him with a set less then an hour ago so I felt that would still be in his mind. The replay doesn't show it but he was taking very long to call each street so I knew he was really light with his kicker.

Hand Information
, 10 BB (6 handed).
Hand History converter courtesy of pokerhandreplays.com

Table Information
Seat: 1 seat 1 ($1200) Small Blind
Seat: 3 seat 3 ($990) Big Blind
Seat: 5 seat 5 ($2300)
Seat: 6 seat 6 ($2400)
Seat: 8 seat 8 ($1000)
Seat: 10 seat 10 ($1700) Dealer
Dealt to seat 10
5S.png 4D.png 

Preflop (Pot:15)
seat 5    CALL
seat 6    CALL
seat 8    FOLD
seat 10    RAISE $40
seat 1    FOLD
seat 3    FOLD
seat 5    CALL
seat 6    CALL

Flop(Pot: $105)
AD.png QH.png 7C.png 

seat 5    CHECK
seat 6    CHECK
seat 10    BET $90
seat 5    FOLD
seat 6    CALL

Turn(Pot: $285)
AD.png QH.png 7C.png 3S.png 

seat 6    CHECK
seat 10    BET $250
seat 6    CALL

River(Pot: $785)
AD.png QH.png 7C.png 3S.png 9C.png 

seat 6    CHECK
seat 10    BET $550
seat 6    CALL
Showdown:
seat 6 SHOWS
AS.png 2C.png 
seat 10 MUCKS

seat 6  wins the pot: $1885

Comments

• persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, you tried. He no doubt remembers the set, but that cuts both ways: he wants revenge. I think you can give up on the river with a guy like this and save some cash. And obviously, you make your life easier by not having 54o in any part of your range. Hopefully you play with this guy a lot and value bet him to death.
  • Christian SotoChristian Soto RCP Coach Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭✭
    I usually dont try to get ppl off top pair when top pair is an Ace. But You can Double POT river :-) , I think he folds all non two pair+ hands a large percentage. But in general I don't think ppl fold AceX top pair too often.
  • SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 4,071 -
    I think your preflop and flop lines are too light here. Preflop is a fold, and as-played the flopCB with very little equity isn't great in a MW pot barring some great info here
    📑 Grab my custom poker spreadsheet pack right now.
    📘 Start the Preflop & Math Poker Workbook today.
  • MarrekMarrek Red Chipper Posts: 104
    SplitSuit wrote:
    I think your preflop and flop lines are too light here. Preflop is a fold, and as-played the flopCB with very little equity isn't great in a MW pot barring some great info here

+1
  • Ed MillerEd Miller RCP Coach Posts: 330
    Yeah I agree with Splitsuit. I just never play this hand preflop, and this flop is a great reason why... no equity if called.

Once you get to the turn it's probably worth barreling turn and river against a lot of opponents, because after the turn check-call you're usually looking at AJ or worse due to preflop limp behind limper and the lack of a bet or raise/checkraise so far. It's hard to call down a preflop raiser on a board like this with Ax.
    I agree that 54o is probably a little out there. But I think you were just feeling good about yourself at that moment and you were in POS. So 'as played" I think Double POT river and you get the most folds possible. :-)

But what Ed and Split said are true.
  • ChipTraderChipTrader Red Chipper Posts: 178
    edited August 2014
    Wow you guys would hate the way I play then and coming from the three coaches I respect the most in this business I'm shocked I run 14 bb / 100 over 90 hours per week / 3 years.

I will open raise this hand from EP in the right situations lol

Usually because of some table dynamic like I'm trying to piss off some one or rep some image etc.. etc.. I play a very mental game with the table but I totally agree with you guys its -ev but there are spots that it can work to your advantage. ;)
  • SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 4,071 -
    ChipTrader wrote:

I would too...but this isn't what I would consider one of those "right situations" :)
    📑 Grab my custom poker spreadsheet pack right now.
    📘 Start the Preflop & Math Poker Workbook today.
    SplitSuit wrote:
    ChipTrader wrote:

I would too...but this isn't what I would consider one of those "right situations" :)

hahahaha TRUE !!!

Cheers
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Chip trader, as someone who opens or raises some low equity hands as well I understand your approach, but I thought I would mention that one of the reasons this isn't the right spot for my opening 54o is that I am on the button. I know that sounds strange, but even relatively novice players expect me to have a wider range here, whereas when I am opening light from EP I now have deception, if little else, on my side. Thus, I want to fold my button's pure junk in order to provide some balance, which translates into credibility, for when I do go for it. If I want to play 54 from any spot, I reduce it to 54 suited, because that takes out some of the combinations that weaken my overall range.

I also second Christian's idea of an overbet of some sort (although I don't know if I have it in me most nights) because here you should know your opponent has an Ace, and will almost always call a normal bet after calling the turn. There were no reasonable draws and his hand is face up.
    persuadeo wrote:
    Hey Chip trader, as someone who opens or raises some low equity hands as well I understand your approach, but I thought I would mention that one of the reasons this isn't the right spot for my opening 54o is that I am on the button. I know that sounds strange, but even relatively novice players expect me to have a wider range here, whereas when I am opening light from EP I now have deception, if little else, on my side. Thus, I want to fold my button's pure junk in order to provide some balance, which translates into credibility, for when I do go for it. If I want to play 54 from any spot, I reduce it to 54 suited, because that takes out some of the combinations that weaken my overall range.

I also second Christian's idea of an overbet of some sort (although I don't know if I have it in me most nights) because here you should know your opponent has an Ace, and will almost always call a normal bet after calling the turn. There were no reasonable draws and his hand is face up.

Excellent points thanks for the feedback appreciate it.
    I would assume Ed and Split agree with Double Potting river though as played :-)

I know I like it! Haha

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file