UTG Range - Missing Value ?

ChipXtractorChipXtractor Red Chipper Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭✭
edited April 2015 in General Concepts
So I figured I would start a topic discussing my UTG Range and how I play it. The reason I want to discuss this concept is hopefully better players than me can help me find hands/spots I can play profitably that I may be missing.

Lets get started... For the purposes of this discussion lets assume a few things.

1) Standard 1-2, 1-3, 2-5 full ring table (take your pick). Hero UTG. 100 Big Blind Effective stack. (We can change and discuss specific table dynamics as we get going if you like)

Here is my UTG Range:

:A? :A?
:K? :K?
:Q? :Q?
:J? :J?
:T? :T?
:A? :K?
:Ac:Qc (All Suited)

That is it. I am raising this entire range.

** Interesting short article on UTG Ranges http://www.pokernews.com/strategy/strat ... -16606.htm

My general question is this...

What hands other than the ones I listed above are you *Profitably* playing UTG? Under what conditions are you playing them? How are you playing them?

Lets see if we cant have some fun with this.

p.s. This may or may not actually be my UTG range and how I play it. But I figured it would be a food jumping off point.

Comments

• SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 4,069 -
    That sure is tight.

I'll take the bait though: What's the difference between opening TT and 99? Are you open-limping the "other" hands (like 22-99, KQ, AJs)?
    📑 Grab my custom poker spreadsheet pack right now.
    📘 Start the Preflop & Math Poker Workbook today.
  • EazzyEazzy Red Chipper Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭✭
    I think this depends strongly on what your capable of doing, your reads on your opponents and the type of game your in.

High suited connectors like KJs play very well if your capable of semi bluffing oop...or checking and getting a bet size read in a multi-way flop type thing. If your just going to play fit or fold or hope it goes HU against a wide range (kind of unlikely unless you have one big fish and a bunch of tight regs) and then you one and done...then this hand is probably borderline at best...

small pairs work fine as raises if there is little or no 3 betting...Also your standard raise size makes these more or less playable. I raise 4bb first in and in some game 3bb first in...these raise sizes (if no 3 betting) make small pairs play very well. Of course if you think you can get away with sweetener raises, and big raises without being noticed go for it.

In almost all games I raise 77+...they tend to play just fine even in many oop multi way pots, and in hu raised pots.

For an excellent article on the subject Ed Miller wrote this in 2007 and its still some of the best advise I ever read on the subject (he may have changed a bit since then, but I think he got it right here.)

http://www.notedpokerauthority.com/arti ... dards.html
  • JCWJCW Red Chipper Posts: 93 ✭✭
    In standard Tight-Passive live games I am raising the following hands UTG...

:Ac:Ad to :2c:2d
    :Ac:Kc to :Ac:2c
    :Kc:Qc to :4c:3c
    :Kh:Qd

If I find myself in a bad position against a 3bettor or if the game adjusts, then I am going to a much more tighter range... closer to what you are playing. But I will start here and adjust.

If my image is good and players are folding. Then I am going even WIDER!

I have excellent board coverage and get A LOT of action. People seeing me raise hands like 22 and 43s UTG makes them call me more from all spots and widens their ranges too.

Remember, you can adjust instantly and it will take them a while to realize you have adjust. You open wide a few times... get 3bet and then shift to a tight range they don't know it. And you get a call or two with your new tight range by their wider range.

Then you improve your image, move to a better seat, or the guy adjusting well to you leaves... back to a very open range.

But again at all times, you are the one making the first adjustment.
  • SixthStreetSixthStreet Red Chipper Posts: 260 ✭✭
    I also play a tight range, but now no it because I fit and fold early position. Plus when I hit I have been getting paid off by busted draws & TPGK. I would like to open up so I can hit more flops. Goes back to what being told how that tight of range and fit fold gives LP odds to almost call with ATC.
  • SixthStreetSixthStreet Red Chipper Posts: 260 ✭✭
    So would expanding to 77+, AJs+, KJs+, QJs, JTs, AQ? Then adjust up or down to players and stacks. I usually start real tight and open as table requires, plus for online when multi tabling I seem to have more luck big cards position and fit & fold. Can seem more like playing video game.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file