First Hand: FD on a A-9-9 board! Second Hand: QQ vs ??

Joshua KJoshua K Red Chipper Posts: 82 ✭✭
Hello Red Chippers:

I took my shot today at $2-3-5 and felt good about my overall performance. I wanted to discuss a hand and see if I played it correctly or could have played it any differently.

First Hand:
Hero in UTG+2 with :Kd :Jd
Effective Stack: $600

I limp call (Not typical for my play)
BU limps (Stack: $450)
SB raises to $20 (Stack: $420)
BB calls ($1300)
Hero calls
BU calls.

Flop: :Ad :9d :9s
Pot: $80

SB Checks
BB bets $50
Hero Calls
BU calls
SB raises to $200

BB folds
I tanked, BU led out with a call during my action and I ended up folding.
Turn comes :7d
SB checks, BB shoves AI
SB calls.
River: :2c

SB shows :Ts :9c
BB shows :Qd :9h

Second Hand:
Hero has :Qh :Qc UTG
Effective Stack $500

I raise to $25
UTG +2 calls (Stack: $1200)
BU calls (Stack: $400)
SB calls (Stack: $900)

Flop: :Ks :Td :3D:
Pot: $107

SB Checks
Hero C-bets to $50
UTG+2 folds
BU folds
SB calls

(I lead out here because the table was pretty soft and was calling light to the flop with Off-suit connectors, especially UTG+2 and SB. I think the sizing is too small?)

Turn: :7D:
Pot: $207

SB leads out to $60
I call.

(I felt in this situation, if SB had a flush, he would not lead out in this spot, but rather check and wait for me to bet and raise for value or flat call. I also did not feel he had a KX because he would have also raised on the flop or flat call the flop, check the turn with expectation to check call turn and river. Thoughts?)

River: :2S:
Pot: $327

SB leads out to$100
I tank and call.

SB shows :TH: :6D:

Comments

• PondyPondy Red Chipper Posts: 150 ✭✭
    First hand: I don't like the limp-call. On a soft table where everybody limps, it can be okay but when I see that the SB raised with T9o I don't really think this is great.

On the flop: When the BB leads out, it is definitely not a fold. You could raise there but someone will probably have an A or a 9, so you will probably not get many folds, so I like the call.

When the SB check-raises, he looks strong. You get decent odds after you know that BU calls and because you close the action you know that you won't be blown off your draw on the flop. But the problem is that if you don't improve on the turn, you will probably have to fold because you have to assume that the SB continues to fire. So I think I would have folded as well.

Hand 2: I would play it the same, but be prepared to lose this pot quite often. You say that he doesn't have many flushes when he leads the turn. I don't fully agree with this because he might want to get value from a K and is afraid that you check behind. But yes, it looks more like top pair or second pair. But note that top pair beats you. Due to the good pot odds I do call down there too.
  • fkjsekeske1 ffkjsekeske1 f Red Chipper Posts: 1
    劳伦森大学毕业证|成绩单|办理Q/微信596403686办理LU劳伦森大学本科文凭|学位证书|办理LU录取通知书
  • fkjsekeske1 ffkjsekeske1 f Red Chipper Posts: 1
    劳伦森大学毕业证|成绩单|办理Q/微信596403686办理LU劳伦森大学本科文凭|学位证书|办理LU录取通知书
  • bigburge10bigburge10 Red Chipper Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    First Hand--I also don't like the preflop limp. Anyway, calling the BB bet is fine, and then folding to the SB check raise is good--especially once the button is calling. It would be different if the board wasn't paired or if there was a chance you could still make top pair--so this spot is looking nasty. Overall, you played it fine. As @Pondy mentions, when you flat, and miss, you're going to have to fold anyway.

Second Hand: I think you also played this hand fine. You can certainly bet smaller on this flop with your range if you want--especially at this table. You are blocking a few combos of KQ which can't be bad--but you're also blocking the straight draw as well, but you don't block the flush draw. Anyway, I don't agree that villain never has a flush here--he could certainly lead out with it thinking that you'll check back this turn. Also, imagine if he did have it--you don't believe that he has it, so he's getting value from you. I think deciding to call or fold here will be very opponent dependent, like all situations. Since this player is showing up with T6o, it's a easy call. But, against some players, they'll show up here with a flush every time. I actually don't think many villains will show up with a K here too often with this line. I mean, what K check calls the flop, and leads the turn? I'd say that when you do lose this pot, it will be to a flush and not to a pair of K.
    Also, for next time, try to post each hand separately---that way the comments are separated and it won't get confusing.
  • zampana1970zampana1970 Red Chipper Posts: 546 ✭✭✭
    Yeah too passive on first hand. Raise pre (you knew this as you posted it cuz you qualified that it's not your standard play :-) and then continue betting on the flop. You might run into an A but they'll pay you off if your FD comes in. And if there is no A you will likely take it down on the flop. Assume you had played more aggressively, you can't be sure SB would have taken the initiative, and if they had you can decide at that point to use the hand to balance AK/KK/AA value or to just call with the right price.

Second hand pfr I think was a little big - is that a table dynamic thing? How about $15? The rest of the hand I think was good. C-bet for sure, then c/c I think to the river, as per bet sizes.
    Second hand pfr I think was a little big - is that a table dynamic thing? How about $15?

I think the sizing is fine--especially since the game is 2-3-5. In fact, I'd probably go even bigger--to like 35/40.

• Joshua KJoshua K Red Chipper Posts: 82 ✭✭
    bigburge10 wrote: »
    Also, for next time, try to post each hand separately---that way the comments are separated and it won't get confusing.

Thanks @bigburge10 I will make sure of it in future postings.
    bigburge10 wrote: »
    Second hand pfr I think was a little big - is that a table dynamic thing? How about $15?

I think the sizing is fine--especially since the game is 2-3-5. In fact, I'd probably go even bigger--to like 35/40.

$35 and $40 are the tables typical raises. I was learning the open raises as we were going along.
    Pondy wrote: »
    First hand: I don't like the limp-call. On a soft table where everybody limps, it can be okay but when I see that the SB raised with T9o I don't really think this is great.

On the flop: When the BB leads out, it is definitely not a fold. You could raise there but someone will probably have an A or a 9, so you will probably not get many folds, so I like the call.

When the SB check-raises, he looks strong. You get decent odds after you know that BU calls and because you close the action you know that you won't be blown off your draw on the flop. But the problem is that if you don't improve on the turn, you will probably have to fold because you have to assume that the SB continues to fire. So I think I would have folded as well.

Hand 2: I would play it the same, but be prepared to lose this pot quite often. You say that he doesn't have many flushes when he leads the turn. I don't fully agree with this because he might want to get value from a K and is afraid that you check behind. But yes, it looks more like top pair or second pair. But note that top pair beats you. Due to the good pot odds I do call down there too.

Thanks for your input @Pondy . I know I have some flaws in my play and am grateful to hear how my plays should be done. Will be working on it in upcoming sessions.

On hand 1, would you have opted at the 4-bet preflop to win the pot outright or do you see me dragging along multiple callers?
  • PondyPondy Red Chipper Posts: 150 ✭✭
    Joshua K wrote: »
    On hand 1, would you have opted at the 4-bet preflop to win the pot outright or do you see me dragging along multiple callers?

Not sure what you mean by 4bet because everybody limps in and the SB bets (2bets), so I guess you want to know if I would have 3bet? I personally would never do that but that is because I almost never limp-raise premium holdings. The circumstances would have to be very extraordinary to limp-raise anything from up front (e.g. a table full of maniacs who will raise and reraise with almost any two cards). If you have a balanced limp-raising range, then you can do it. You have blockers and you have a playable hand when you get called. But it also depends what sort of player SB is. If you know that he raises T9o, then your limp-raise with KJs is even a value-raise.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file