Tournament workbook layout...

SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 4,070 -
edited June 2017 in Coaching & Commercial
Enough MTT players have asked me to create a workbook for them - so now seems as good a time as any =) This is the beta layout for section 1 (where you build and reflect on your own range). Does it have everything you'd need? Is there anything you would add? Anything you'd delete?

(all hands are from the final table)

q12o1k1po6yw.png
📑 Grab my custom poker spreadsheet pack right now.
📘 Start the Preflop & Math Poker Workbook today.

Comments

• jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 5,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would find it useful to have the M value and level times. This could be useful for determining when you have to start pushing your range, or when others might be pushing theirs. You could make the black box just a bit taller.

If you wanted to reduce space, you could avoid listing all payout places. I'm sure some tournaments will pay more than 9 places. But you could list:
    - top payout
    - bubble position and payout

And then have an appendix where full payouts are listed. That would declutter if you decided to add more info.
  • bigburge10bigburge10 Red Chipper Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭✭
    I've worked through the Poker Workbook a few times, and my favorite part is revisiting hands later to see how my approach has changed. So, I tend to make a lot of notes describing my thought process and reasoning for my answers. Not sure if you can squeeze an area on the pages for this type of thing, but it can come in handy.
  • LukaLuka Red Chipper Posts: 216 ✭✭✭
    Is there a point in the workbook where the payouts factor in, as in ICM calculations, etc...? I ask because in the sample page it doesn't seem directly needed and could be addressed one time in the intro section where we assume the same payout for all the exercises. This may free up a little room on the page for something else. Maybe a notes section as suggested above. Or, maybe a column where people can list out good/bad river cards for their range to get in practice thinking about runouts.
    Looks really good though and excited for the final product!
  • SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 4,070 -
    @jeffnc The feedback about blind levels and time remaining is excellent. Most certainly going to add that.

Like my previous workbooks I'm not going to be doing the quick calculations for students (like M, SPR, etc.) as I want students using these exercises as chances to get in many reps and get used to solving those things automatically for themselves.

@bigburge10 did you grab the physical version of the workbook? Did you find the margins of those pages to be enough for note taking? Was the 'notes' section of the free templates download too small?

@Luka Yes, there will be many questions about ICM pressure, doing ICM calcs, etc. And section 3 addresses runouts and range advantage - so you are on the right track for sure =)
    📑 Grab my custom poker spreadsheet pack right now.
    📘 Start the Preflop & Math Poker Workbook today.
  • jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 5,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SplitSuit wrote: »
    Like my previous workbooks I'm not going to be doing the quick calculations for students (like M, SPR, etc.) as I want students using these exercises as chances to get in many reps and get used to solving those things automatically for themselves.

Right.

• bigburge10bigburge10 Red Chipper Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭✭
    SplitSuit wrote: »
    @bigburge10 did you grab the physical version of the workbook? Did you find the margins of those pages to be enough for note taking? Was the 'notes' section of the free templates download too small?)
    I do have the physical version of the workbook--but used the pdf template when doing the exercises. Honestly, I guess having a notes area in the physical workbook wouldn't help me too much since I have terrible penmanship:) However, I found the notes section to be too small for me--I'm trying to capture all of my assumptions as I work through the hand so that when I revisit it, I can get a feel for where I was at.

For the template, my only idea is to shrink the % Form and Combos boxes to create some room for a notes area. Perhaps these metrics could be to the right of the "Your XXX Range" box--so it would read something like: Your Prefllop Range: 20% / 274

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file