A new red chipper from the land of Ice

Jónas SJónas S Red Chipper Posts: 202 ✭✭✭
edited June 2017 in Come Say Hello
Hello there, Red chippers.

My name is Jonas and I'm from Iceland. I got introduced to Poker around 2010, at the age of ~17, playing with play money on Zynga and then maybe a couple of home game tournaments in college. Nothing serious at start. I finished my studies and eventually graduated from University with a degree in Computer Science. At this point I really didn't know anything about poker other than what beats what and so fourth. I then started working as a software developer where I got introduced to a home game where I quickly learned the basics of the rules and before I knew it I started hitting the local places playing 1/2 live CG. I quadrupled my buy-in in my first session and since then I've had a thing for poker, mostly NL-TH but I know the basics of PLO and I've had an occasional Crazy-Pineapple game (very fun IMO). I've played in quite a few live tournaments with 10-20 people and one 100-player event where I'd like to say I got coolered early on but really I was just too inexperienced at the time. I've got some experience with online MTTs (nothing significant) but my main game is certainly cash.

I was pretty much a TAG for the next 2-3 years or so and while I was probably better than the average player for the most part I've been a loosing player due to leaks that seriously needed to be fixed, for example with paying people off and simply not believing. My main problem, for sure, was that I didn't really study the game much apart from an occasional YouTube video or poker episodes like high stakes poker, which of course is nothing but entertainment. A few months back I started listening to podcasts and came across one that recommended Miller's the course and I read it and I started noticing significant improvements.

At a similar time I came across the RCPodcast which I listen to while walking to and fourth work, along side the times when I do go running, and I've now listened to every episode.

I do crush home games that I go to now and I'm very good at reading and making certain plays at live games but since I became a LAG (after reading miller's the course and listening to every red chip podcast there is, etc) my variance has gone up significantly which eventually forced me to stop playing live and moved entirely to online (apart from an occasional stake) where I want to build a bankroll and maintain a proper bankroll management. I'm currently playing 10NL and since starting implementing the things I've learned through the podcast and the course I've been a slightly loosing player. My stats are in the 27/25/77 area after around 21k hands which I'm quite happy with but some of my stats I need to fix, my C-betting freq is too high (yes, I listened to the episode and it got me really thinking about it) and I am constantly finding myself in places where I'm playing with raw-aggression when I shouldn't be, when I've been too hasty in making decisions and not given myself enough time to put my villain on a range. I do intend to get myself into the hand reading lab to fix that leak.

I joined about a week ago here with the trial and am now a regular red chipper. I'm already seeing improvements after watching and taking notes on 10NL, Overbetting, Emptying the clip, Automatic profit in position, and other videos. I'm also a constant listener of the Mindset Poker Podcast so I'm getting a decent amount of mindset into my head. I'm also used to losing in the sense that I've been to high stakes in sports betting so I've experienced variance at its finest.

I want to use a proper bankroll management, fix my leaks, increase my bankroll, move up in stakes, and potentially take it further. I have a good job which I can't complain about but I think it's important to study and play and make goals to make options.

Sorry for the long post. Thanks for the podcasts, thanks for the content, take my money (pay me back at the tables!) and hopefully we'll have a healthy discussion about poker!

I have a feeling that we'll get to know one another in one way or another sooner or later.

Comments

  • JonasJonas Red Chipper Posts: 160 ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Welcome! You've definnitely come to the right place.

    Side note: my name is also Jonas... we should form some sort of brotherhood.
  • Jónas SJónas S Red Chipper Posts: 202 ✭✭✭
    1BlackChip wrote: »
    Welcome! You've come to the right place.

    My name is also Jonas... we should start an Alliance...

    Thank you! Nice! There can never be too many Joneses.
  • MonadMonad Red Chipper Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Jónas S wrote: »
    Hello there, Red chippers.

    My name is Jonas and I'm from Iceland. I got introduced to Poker around 2010, at the age of ~17, playing with play money on Zynga and then maybe a couple of home game tournaments in college. Nothing serious at start. I finished my studies and eventually graduated from University with a degree in Computer Science. At this point I really didn't know anything about poker other than what beats what and so fourth. I then started working as a software developer where I got introduced to a home game where I quickly learned the basics of the rules and before I knew it I started hitting the local places playing 1/2 live CG. I quadrupled my buy-in in my first session and since then I've had a thing for poker, mostly NL-TH but I know the basics of PLO and I've had an occasional Crazy-Pineapple game (very fun IMO). I've played in quite a few live tournaments with 10-20 people and one 100-player event where I'd like to say I got coolered early on but really I was just too inexperienced at the time. I've got some experience with online MTTs (nothing significant) but my main game is certainly cash.

    I was pretty much a TAG for the next 2-3 years or so and while I was probably better than the average player for the most part I've been a loosing player due to leaks that seriously needed to be fixed, for example with paying people off and simply not believing. My main problem, for sure, was that I didn't really study the game much apart from an occasional YouTube video or poker episodes like high stakes poker, which of course is nothing but entertainment. A few months back I started listening to podcasts and came across one that recommended Miller's the course and I read it and I started noticing significant improvements.

    At a similar time I came across the RCPodcast which I listen to while walking to and fourth work, along side the times when I do go running, and I've now listened to every episode.

    I do crush home games that I go to now and I'm very good at reading and making certain plays at live games but since I became a LAG (after reading miller's the course and listening to every red chip podcast there is, etc) my variance has gone up significantly which eventually forced me to stop playing live and moved entirely to online (apart from an occasional stake) where I want to build a bankroll and maintain a proper bankroll management. I'm currently playing 10NL and since starting implementing the things I've learned through the podcast and the course I've been a slightly loosing player. My stats are in the 27/25/77 area after around 21k hands which I'm quite happy with but some of my stats I need to fix, my C-betting freq is too high (yes, I listened to the episode and it got me really thinking about it) and I am constantly finding myself in places where I'm playing with raw-aggression when I shouldn't be, when I've been too hasty in making decisions and not given myself enough time to put my villain on a range. I do intend to get myself into the hand reading lab to fix that leak.

    I joined about a week ago here with the trial and am now a regular red chipper. I'm already seeing improvements after watching and taking notes on 10NL, Overbetting, Emptying the clip, Automatic profit in position, and other videos. I'm also a constant listener of the Mindset Poker Podcast so I'm getting a decent amount of mindset into my head. I'm also used to losing in the sense that I've been to high stakes in sports betting so I've experienced variance at its finest.

    I want to use a proper bankroll management, fix my leaks, increase my bankroll, move up in stakes, and potentially take it further. I have a good job which I can't complain about but I think it's important to study and play and make goals to make options.

    Sorry for the long post. Thanks for the podcasts, thanks for the content, take my money (pay me back at the tables!) and hopefully we'll have a healthy discussion about poker!

    I have a feeling that we'll get to know one another in one way or another sooner or later.

    First thing to consider -- rid yourself of your "poker identity". I think its a big problem when we're thinking to say "I'm this -- I'm that -- I will play this way because I want to be table captain -- I want to play this way because everyone is 'bad', etc.". LAG is good in some games, in some games its bad (maybe why you're running bad). TAG is good in some games, in some games its bad. Nitty play is good in some games, bad in others. Station play is good in some games, bad in others. Etcetera, etcetera. Putting love of tactics over modular-strategy is a classic error in thinking IYAM.
  • Jónas SJónas S Red Chipper Posts: 202 ✭✭✭
    Monad wrote: »
    First thing to consider -- rid yourself of your "poker identity". I think its a big problem when we're thinking to say "I'm this -- I'm that -- I will play this way because I want to be table captain -- I want to play this way because everyone is 'bad', etc.". LAG is good in some games, in some games its bad (maybe why you're running bad). TAG is good in some games, in some games its bad. Nitty play is good in some games, bad in others. Station play is good in some games, bad in others. Etcetera, etcetera. Putting love of tactics over modular-strategy is a classic error in thinking IYAM.

    Thank you for your comment.

    I agree that one should be adaptable to every table and I do play my opponents rather than playing my cards. I'm mostly playing Zoom right now and mostly against unknowns where I think a LAG style is very effective but I exploit the frequencies of my villains and I understand what you're getting at.
  • Skors3Skors3 Red Chipper Posts: 664 ✭✭✭
    "My name is Jonas"

    Great song.
  • Christopher SChristopher S Red Chipper Posts: 53 ✭✭
    I just converted from super LAAAG back to a TAG. If you're bankroll can handle the swings and I mean $thousands + at 1/2 your variance wont last long. On a short bankroll though it feels like the variance can last forever eventually a slow silent death of busto the bankroll. I know what you're thinking you can play any two cards and understand that the relative strength of your hand doesn't matter much when your barreling every flush card and straight card all the draws you can represent. It's a good skill to hold and an even more deadly skill to hold when you're a TAG. If the bank roll can't handle it take a few hours to construct a tag range in UTG - MP then in all positions HIjak forward including SB and BB play LAG. It totally screws up your opponents thought about you and your table image will be great!
  • Michael WMichael W Red Chipper Posts: 90 ✭✭
    iceland would be my nr.1 country to live when the weather would be better there.

    so you play 10nl zoom? pokerstars i assume. so do i. wonder what your screenname is^^
  • Jónas SJónas S Red Chipper Posts: 202 ✭✭✭
    I just converted from super LAAAG back to a TAG. If you're bankroll can handle the swings and I mean $thousands + at 1/2 your variance wont last long. On a short bankroll though it feels like the variance can last forever eventually a slow silent death of busto the bankroll. I know what you're thinking you can play any two cards and understand that the relative strength of your hand doesn't matter much when your barreling every flush card and straight card all the draws you can represent. It's a good skill to hold and an even more deadly skill to hold when you're a TAG. If the bank roll can't handle it take a few hours to construct a tag range in UTG - MP then in all positions HIjak forward including SB and BB play LAG. It totally screws up your opponents thought about you and your table image will be great!

    Thanks for the input. I agree that the bankroll determines how big of a variance game you can play but I'm after all only playing 27% VPIP in a 6-max zoom which is a relatively selective set of hands with mostly suited hands that flop well or pick up a lot of equity. I could reduce that by 5% or so and perhaps reduce the variance but I hate the idea of leaving money at the table and I'd rather play smaller stakes and play good poker than play bigger stakes and leaving money at the table but the last time I went to a casino in Amsterdam (a few weeks back) I did exactly what you're talking about. I played mostly TAG but found a few spots that a normal TAG would not have done and I ended up with a decent amount of profit but had I played my regular game I'm certain I would have made a lot more in the long run.
  • Jónas SJónas S Red Chipper Posts: 202 ✭✭✭
    Skors3 wrote: »
    "My name is Jonas"

    Great song.

    Never heard that punchline before! :)
  • Jónas SJónas S Red Chipper Posts: 202 ✭✭✭
    Michael W wrote: »
    iceland would be my nr.1 country to live when the weather would be better there.

    so you play 10nl zoom? pokerstars i assume. so do i. wonder what your screenname is^^

    Living here is great when the weather is good and if you've got a good income.

    I made my stars account when I was 18 and not thinking about any poker nicknames at the time so it's quite basic, jonast1992. Currently displaying a picture of Mr. Bean :D

    My girlfriend who used to deal cards once heard some guys giving me a nickname, the cat (appear very calm and passive but if you mess with my stack I'm going to use my claws and don't give shit about your aggression) but I've never really used it any sense, maybe not as suitable anymore since my playstyle has evolved a lot since then but who knows! :)
  • JonasJonas Red Chipper Posts: 160 ✭✭
    Jónas S wrote: »
    Skors3 wrote: »
    "My name is Jonas"

    Great song.

    Never heard that punchline before! :)

    It's a good song by Weezer. Look it up!
  • Jónas SJónas S Red Chipper Posts: 202 ✭✭✭
    1BlackChip wrote: »
    Jónas S wrote: »
    Skors3 wrote: »
    "My name is Jonas"

    Great song.

    Never heard that punchline before! :)

    It's a good song by Weezer. Look it up!

    Being sarcastic on the internet doesn't seem to be working very well for me :)
  • Adam WheelerAdam Wheeler Red Chipper Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭✭
    All we heard about the peoples putting bankers in prison, and government shift in Iceland, is it true ? And if so how is the transition so far ?
  • Adam WheelerAdam Wheeler Red Chipper Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    By the way me and my girlfriend are planning on going there in the next three years. It look like an amazing place. Welcome to the forum.
  • Jónas SJónas S Red Chipper Posts: 202 ✭✭✭
    Some people who were in charge of certain things in the financial industry were sentenced, yes, but the way our system works is basically you'll be able to get into a
    similar position right away again if you want. The maximum sentence in Iceland is 16 years (yes, even if you'd blow up the whole city, 16 years max, and that's almost never happened) and usually on probation and if you're rich you basically get into a "comfortable" prison, but our prisons are so full that you need to wait a few years to do the time if you didn't kill anyone.

    It's quite depressing to talk about our government "shift". What happened is that D and B (two of the most corrupted parties in Iceland) were in charge last season so what they did is that D split itself into two parties, D and C, which basically support the same things except enough people didn't truly believe it and thought that D and C would never ever unite and B changed it's chairman (borderline sociopath) which gave them shitload of votes again (plenty of people with same opinions as the previous chairman) yet the former chairman got elected anyway in the county that he represents. Then there was a newish small party named A which people had high hopes for.

    What happened eventually is that D and C convinced A to make a government and that's where we stand today. They gave the congressmen of A all the shit positions that are going to take all the heat (health, etc, which is not being funded at all right now) so D and C are going to be fine but A are going to sink. Same shit, different names (aside from the old good D).

    So yeah, pretty much the same thing over and over again. The pirate party has been growing in Iceland though and it's represent-ivies are doing a good job and it's main focus is to eliminate corruption which some of the other parties would love to carry on.

    Anyway, enough politics :')
  • Jónas SJónas S Red Chipper Posts: 202 ✭✭✭
    ^
    By the way me and my girlfriend are planning on going there in the next three years. It look like an amazing place. Welcome to the forum.

    Also, thanks! :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file