NOLA Poker

SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 3,650 -
edited June 21 in Local Poker Groups
Hey guys,

NOLA is one of the closest major poker areas near me (other than Biloxi). Anyone else in this area? Any discussion of games, meetups, etc. is more than welcome here =)
My latest poker course brings the popular book 'Poker's 1%' to life- The One Percent

Comments

• JoeOffsuitJoeOffsuit Red Chipper Posts: 336 ✭✭✭
    When did you move to the gulf coast? (We are actually heading through your area right after Cindy passes through....)
  • SaintsTigersSaintsTigers Red Chipper Posts: 226 ✭✭
    Welcome to the South, SplitSuit. I live in NOLA- play here and Biloxi mostly. The best time to play cash games at Harrah's is during "convention season", basically about the end NFL preseason through May. A lot of money is flowing through the tourism driven economy and the games are great, especially on home football game weekends. After that the weather is too hot and the games suffer (Summer in general is slow in New Orleans. Many of the restaurants, for example, are dead.)

All the good cash games in Biloxi are at the Beau Rivage. Summertime is good because a lot of people go there on vacation. Also during tournament time- the Million Dollar Heater in January and Gulf Coast Poker Classic in September the cash game action is awesome.

NLHE games here play deep stacked, usually 200+ big blinds deep with a Mississippi Straddle. I'm not too crazy about the Harrah's rake- 10% up to $5/hand with $2 bad beat drop, though. Assuming 20 hand per hour and $2 is tipped per hand, that's $180/hour coming off the table.

Funny you posted this. I played an all night session the other night, and the player next to me mentioned that he just discovered your Poker Bank videos. "Have you ever hear of this guy named SplitSuit? He makes really good poker videos."
  • boyd148boyd148 Red Chipper Posts: 74 ✭✭
    SplitSuit wrote: »
    Hey guys,

NOLA is one of the closest major poker areas near me (other than Biloxi). Anyone else in this area? Any discussion of games, meetups, etc. is more than welcome here =)

I thought you lived near Portland Oregon. I remember you saying something about moving awhile back but I didn't realize you were moving 2/3 of the way across the country. Welcome to the South. I hope you like humidity.
  • SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 3,650 -
    I lived around Portland for a couple years and then we bought a place & moved down to the south in October of 2016. Not a huge fan of the humidity (this is the first summer where I have not worn hoodies), but shy of that everything is tremendous.

@SaintsTigers I played at Beau a couple months ago and it was excellent. +awesome that some knew who I was. I swear, I hear more stories about things like that than I actually have people come up and introduce themselves in person lol.
    My latest poker course brings the popular book 'Poker's 1%' to life- The One Percent
  • Joe WJoe W Red Chipper Posts: 4 ✭✭
    I'm over in Houston, but I'd gladly do a RCP Gulf Coast meetup once or twice a year in NOLA.
  • JayJay Red Chipper Posts: 29 ✭✭
    I just relocated in november to greater memphis area, but Mobile was my home for last 15 years so played Biloxi a fair amount. Its possible we (girlfriend plays too) could meetup during the gulf coast poker championship (and wsop-c) as will be in Biloxi( maybe fri-sun or so of the first weekend of action. Sometime around Sept 8-10(might come or leave one day early/later).

• Faustovaldez123Faustovaldez123 Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    hope you enjoy your new home @SplitSuit
    COACHING NOW AVAILABLE HERE
  • SachaSacha Red Chipper Posts: 17 ✭✭
    Hey guys! Where in Louisiana did you relocate @Split? I grew up south of Baton Rouge. @SaintsTigers I gotta get out to Biloxi during those events!
    I'm about to relocate in next few
    months to Nashville, home of no poker it seems sadly. Unless I can find the underground games. So I will most likely have to travel to the nearby states to play. I do visit my family back in Louisiana so maybe this group will work for me for potential meetups but after I move I will post one for Nashville.

Thanks Fausto! The home has been frustrating with many systems/appliances straight up failing - which is just a great way to get into a new home =) Shy of that though, the area is excellent.
    Sacha wrote: »
    Hey guys! Where in Louisiana did you relocate @Split?

I'm outside of Jackson, MS. So NOLA is still a hike for me, but it's an easy train ride.
    Jay wrote: »
    I just relocated in november to greater memphis area, but Mobile was my home for last 15 years so played Biloxi a fair amount. Its possible we (girlfriend plays too) could meetup during the gulf coast poker championship (and wsop-c) as will be in Biloxi( maybe fri-sun or so of the first weekend of action. Sometime around Sept 8-10(might come or leave one day early/later).

I didn't realize an event was coming down to Biloxi in the near future. Will enough people be around to organize a live RCP game?
  • TxChipperTxChipper Red Chipper Posts: 11 ✭✭
    In San Antonio, so NOLA might work for me. will be going thru Biloxi first part of Oct on the way to Destin.
  • Benjammin Benjammin Red Chipper Posts: 17 ✭✭
    I would certainly be interested in a game in Biloxi in September when the events are going on. There was great action everywhere in town last year with the tandem events. Split suit, I have played at Ameristar in Vicksburg. Not bad, not good, totally uncompelling. Shreveport might be a viable option, but you might as well go down further south. Hope to see you around the coast or in the city.
  • JayJay Red Chipper Posts: 29 ✭✭
    SplitSuit wrote: »

Thanks Fausto! The home has been frustrating with many systems/appliances straight up failing - which is just a great way to get into a new home =) Shy of that though, the area is excellent.
    Sacha wrote: »
    Hey guys! Where in Louisiana did you relocate @Split?

I'm outside of Jackson, MS. So NOLA is still a hike for me, but it's an easy train ride.
    Jay wrote: »

I didn't realize an event was coming down to Biloxi in the near future. Will enough people be around to organize a live RCP game?

Yes, second biggest series in Biloxi area annually. IP and Beau having a tourney series at same time. I would be in for an RCP game in biloxi!

Jay

• JoeOffsuitJoeOffsuit Red Chipper Posts: 336 ✭✭✭
    I believe Jackson MS is about...
    3 hours to NOLA,
    3 hours to Biloxi,
    3 hours to Tunica,
    and.....
    3 hours to Bossier/Shreveport.
    (You are in the center of the midsouth poker compass...)

There is a small but growing Red Chip Forum population in Texas all in striking distance of Bossier/Shreveport.
    Any chance you might consider a trip this way?
    My thoughts are a bunch of the Texas Red Chip Forum members would make the trip if you were to schedule a trip this way.
  • snafusnafu Red Chipper Posts: 38 ✭✭
    I'd be interested in a Shreveport meet up for sure.
  • CruelPaiMeiCruelPaiMei Red Chipper Posts: 130 ✭✭
    Bumping this. I would also be in for a Shreveport meetup!

Taking a NOLA trip in late October. It's a trip with the wife though, so probably not gonna get in more than a couple of short sessions while there :-(
    Looking to start a home game on the north shore of any one here is around and wants to play
    Looking to start a home game on the north shore of any one here is around and wants to play

Likely a dumb question - where is the north shore?
    north of lake Ponchatrain
    to be specific, the communities of hammond, covington, mandeville, and slidell.
  • TylerTyler Red Chipper Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited August 30
    I'm in mandeville, I would be interested in a home game. I've been slowly finding the local games over the last year or so, Some small $20-$40 tournaments that play and pay pretty good with cash games after. and some home games. Definitely intrested if we can get some players together.
    Have fun with it yall. I'm too far away to attend that homegame regularly lol
    edited August 30
    Was hoping to meet you at the tournaments in MS next week splitsuit, maybe next time!
    Hey Tyler

That sounds great. I'd like to get in touch. I'll be in Biloxi this coming Thursday if you want to meet in person or you can email me at btb7308@yahoo.com
    Tyler wrote: »
    Was hoping to meet you at the tournaments in MS next week splitsuit, maybe next time!

For sure. Was hoping to make it, but alas, schedule didn't work out this time =(
    Hey Tyler

That sounds great. I'd like to get in touch. I'll be in Biloxi this coming Thursday if you want to meet in person or you can email me at btb7308@yahoo.com

Benjammin,

For sure man! I'll send you and email. I'm not sure I will be able to make it Thursday, but I'm planing on playing one of the 365/345 deep stacks on Friday. I'm just not sure which to play, the wsop $365DS 200k gtd or the GCPC $345DS 250k gtd. This will be my first time playing either so I'm excited.
    You can't go wrong . I'll definitely be playing cash both places . Look forward to talking to you
    Tyler wrote: »
    Hey Tyler

Benjammin,

For sure man! I'll send you and email. I'm not sure I will be able to make it Thursday, but I'm planing on playing one of the 365/345 deep stacks on Friday. I'm just not sure which to play, the wsop $365DS 200k gtd or the GCPC $345DS 250k gtd. This will be my first time playing either so I'm excited.

I'm playing the WSOPC events. Cheaper rake, better structures, and if you run hot you have a chance of earning enough points to play the national championship for free.
    Pretty sure that is not true. The WSOPC is $300 +65 and GCPC is 300 + 45
  • kageykagey Red Chipper, KINGOFTAGS Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭✭
    Pretty sure that is not true. The WSOPC is $300 +65 and GCPC is 300 + 45
    starting stacks
    WSOPC - "double stack" - 10K X 2 = 20k
    Beau - Monsterstack - 25k

blind levels -
    WSOPC - 30, 30, 45
    Beau - 30, 45, 60

cost
    WSOPC - 365
    Beau - 345 + 10

guarantee
    WSOPC - 200K
    Beau - 250K

hmmmm.... wonder which one is the better value?
    edited September 1
    GCPC is $300+$45+ a $10 dealer toke. Also, 3% of the prize pool is withheld for the "promotinal prize fund" which pays for things like weekly poker promotions when most of the entrants won't be there. The GCPC skips at least 4 levels too. And, if you late reg, you start with less than a full stack. The beau will take blinds and antes off of undesignated stacks.

Finally, the other side events at GCPC have higher juice