Top pair shove. Burning money?

Adamsignup@mac.com[email protected] Red Chipper Posts: 7 ✭✭
Early-mid tournament. Blinds 300/600. Hero 25 big blinds on the button with KhQh.
One limp and villain in hijack min raises 1200.
Hero thinks about 3betting but just calls.
Flop Q 9 4 rainbow.
Villain c-bets 5000. Range - would value bet all overpairs, sets, 10J, Qx, 9x but I would expect sizing to be smaller. A larger than pot could have any 2 cards trying to push me off Qx, AK.
Hero shoves 13000 expecting a fold more than 50% of the time.
Is this good or am I just burning money if he calls?
Will post result later.

Comments

• JonasJonas Red Chipper Posts: 160 ✭✭
    What's villain's stack?
    I like the shove. I don't think you're behind that often.
  • zampana1970zampana1970 Red Chipper Posts: 546 ✭✭✭
    How do you know that over 50% of the time this shove will fold out V?
  • Adamsignup@mac.com[email protected] Red Chipper Posts: 7 ✭✭
    Sorry. Villain has 35bb so also short stacked.
    Don't know about fold equity for sure but V is moderately aggressive - has been stealing from late position and folding to resistance from button or blinds a fair amount. V also was coolered earlier on so I felt he was less likely to get it in with anything less than two pair +. I thought he would fold overpairs or worse, given he would then be down to only 10bb if lost.

• JoeOffsuitJoeOffsuit Red Chipper Posts: 365 ✭✭✭
    Did the limper or either of the blinds call preflop?

For a cash game heads up against an unknown opponent, a flop SPR of 4 is about the threshold between getting it all in on the flop or giving up with top pair. For cash games, getting it all in with top pair on high SPR flops IMHO is a leak. While you are both short stacked, the smallish bets preflop prevent the SPR from getting very low where this would be an auto-shove. And if its a leak in a cash game, it could be a bigger leak in a tournament.

• SaintsTigersSaintsTigers Red Chipper Posts: 238 ✭✭
    This is a call. Worse hands will never call your jam, and better hands will not fold. You have top pair, good kicker. There's no sense in turning it into a bluff.
  • OutlierOutlier Red Chipper Posts: 158 ✭✭
    Did villain really bet 5000 chips? Also, is this heads up to the flop? Are there antes? The reason I ask is that if it's heads up, the 5000 chip bet is something like 1.5x pot, very unusual for tournament.

Are you shoving to get folds or for value?
  • AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Outlier wrote: »
    Did villain really bet 5000 chips? Also, is this heads up to the flop? Are there antes? The reason I ask is that if it's heads up, the 5000 chip bet is something like 1.5x pot, very unusual for tournament.

Are you shoving to get folds or for value?

Heads up is like 2x pot. 3 way is like 1.5x pot.

I basically see a lot of value hands here because do you put him on JT for him to min raise after a limper? If so then he also has AQ down to QT in his range as well.

At this point you called a raise and you got a great flop for your hand bringing you near the top of your range. Sucks to fold so I don't mind jamming it in here. Maybe he will hero fold something like AQ and put you on 99. If he folds you increase your stack by 50%. If he calls you have 3-5 outs maybe bdfd if your lucky.

Depending on how wide he is spot is easy to get it in here unless you make some soul read where you know he has AA.
  • Adamsignup@mac.com[email protected] Red Chipper Posts: 7 ✭✭
    Thanks for comments.

Villain tanked for a good minute before calling and showed KK. I think that was his rationale for the 1.5x cbet.

I think it was ok to shove but perhaps with this particular villain big=big!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file