Advanced poker training... Im not convinced

Chris FChris F Red Chipper Posts: 155 ✭✭
Currently im a live 1/2 player and wanting a legit way to practice away from the tables. I stumbled onto Advanced Poker Trainer but im having some reservations.

Mostly im worried that the bots wont play close enough to the actual players I play against every weekend and as a result will ingrain in me some bad habits.

Thoughts and feelings on this? Also I am left to wonder if the advice the automated coaches give has been updated to reflect the current state of todays games.

Thanks guys.
Tagged:

Comments

• zampana1970zampana1970 Red Chipper Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    I came from ATP to RCP. Doug Hull is one of the bots on that thing. It wasn't bad, but definitely didn't feel like the AI was adjusting. This was a year ago. My results playing there were way better than anywhere else so that told me it probably wasn't accurate. I think good for beginners maybe?

Have you tried poker snowie?
  • bigburge10bigburge10 Red Chipper Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭✭
    Curious to see if anyone agrees with this:

Pokersnowie plays a style that is considered world class.

APT plays a style closer to, but perhaps not exactly as general competition.

Given that, which tool would make more sense to use? With this information, I would say APT.
  • AcesaladAcesalad Red Chipper Posts: 240 ✭✭
    I find it useful for practicing aspects of my game I want to improve. Like what ranges to play from what positions, analyzing flop textures, calculating SPR's and playing them appropriately. The AI of the players doesn't impress me. Too many times players shove huge stacks with complete air like nothing I've ever seen live. Also, I play Phil's Garage exclusively and there are never any tight players. Also I see no difference between the loose passive and the loose aggressive ones. I got that deal where they give you 6 months for like $50. I would never pay more than that for this site. They have the offer often.
  • volcanovolcano Red Chipper Posts: 306 ✭✭
    I didnt get value from that site and I really never noticed a laggy bot opponent or a maniac like you see in live poker.
  • MattPMattP Red Chipper Posts: 71 ✭✭
    It's not a perfect simulation, but I really like that you can practice particular spots with repetition. After I lost a couple live pots recently with AK, I went in there to play AK hundreds of times in a row just to get more comfortable with how to make decisions in different spots with AK. Similarly you can set it up to practice a ton of hands OOP. ... or only with small pairs... or only with suited connectors.

If you cancel your account they will almost always offer you the membership at half price to remain. So for me, about $15 a month for hours of practice is worth it. If it helps me win one extra hand a month, it easily pays for itself...
  • kageykagey Red Chipper, KINGOFTAGS Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    there have been multiple threads about APT - like this one:
    Leveraging Advanced Poker Training

you can use the search function to find past reviews (pros & cons) about it
    or check out the "poker software" tag