w34z3l's AMA Thread

w34z3lw34z3l RCP Coach Posts: 31 ✭✭
Hey guys,

Coach w34z3l here! Here is my AMA (Ask me Anything) thread.

You can ask me anything! Although I prefer poker related stuff.

w34z3l

Comments

• Chris FChris F Red Chipper Posts: 85 ✭✭
    Hey w34z3l, I got a few for ya...

1) Whats your favorite poker game?

2) Whats your outlook on the future of poker?

3) If you could go back in time and give your beginner self one piece of poker advice, what would it be?
  • w34z3lw34z3l RCP Coach Posts: 31 ✭✭
    1) I guess NLHE just because I play it the most, but I can see other variants being more interesting. I am hoping to expand coaching in the not too distant future to include mix games.

2) Seems ok, plenty of money to be made. Key is simply to be adaptible and ready to try new variants on a regular basis in about 10 years time.

3) I would have told myself to grind full time back in 2006 instead of playing recreationally. Wouldn't have mattered too much whether I knew how to play poker or not.
  • tfaziotfazio Red Chipper Posts: 683 ✭✭✭
    @w34z3l hard question. What are your thoughts on the S4Y outlier approach vs a more balanced GTO approach that more of the field is using. Feel free to decline to answer.
    tfazio wrote: »
    @w34z3l hard question. What are your thoughts on the S4Y outlier approach vs a more balanced GTO approach that more of the field is using. Feel free to decline to answer.

I know what you mean by the GTO approach but could you briefly explain the solve for why outlier approach?
  • nickyblindsnickyblinds Red Chipper Posts: 21 ✭✭
    Hi Adam, loved your c-betting 101 video. Do you have plans a for c-betting oop in the works?
  • Troy HTroy H Red Chipper Posts: 20 ✭✭
    Maybe you can give me some advice on my current situation.

Im working the typical 9-5 and can save around $700 per month. Im a winning 25nl player online and want to make the transfer to $1/$2 live with ~$1k bankroll.

The game that plays near me is a $1/$2 game with $300 max but in.

I'm currently on a trial here at RCP but will let that convert to a paid membership as I love the site and the frequent posts in the forum (really what did it for me). I'm continuing to study, and recently watched your two videos on auto priofiting OOP and IP (great job btw).

Anyways, what would be your advice for me in my situation?

I could probably start with more than $1k, but if I lose $1k to variance playing the right way, it wouldn't bother me. That's why I chose that amount.
    I second a Cbetting OOP video.
  • SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 3,504 -
    What are the biggest leaks you see in your average student today?

How do those leaks compare to students from 2 years ago?

What is the biggest "soft skill" improvement the average player could use today?

If you could only play one cash game variant for the next year, and it had to be a LIMIT game, which game would you choose to play and why?
    Check out my latest course - The Hand Reading Lab
  • colldavcolldav Red Chipper Posts: 620 ✭✭✭
    Love this idea for a thread. I hope the offer stays open for a while.

I think most of your videos have been excellent, and echo the love for the c-betting video. One area the video left me wanting more was how to select which hands to put in the check-raising range, both value and bluffs. Would appreciate if you could give your thoughts on this, either in this thread or in an OOP c-betting video.

Thanks.
  • AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭✭
    What life activities do you do to balance obsession with poker?

How many hours a week are you playing and is it mostly cash or mtt?
  • kenaceskenaces Red Chipper Posts: 535 ✭✭✭
    Stakes/games played/WR this year?
  • MonadMonad Red Chipper Posts: 871 ✭✭✭
    Where'd you get your RCP profile photo taken?
    tfazio wrote: »

Agree with Chris F here. Not obvious what is meant by outlier approach. Maybe you can elaborate and I would be happy to answer.

Given that you mention GTO you might be interested in on the latest red chip podcasts which is me talking about some basic GTO stuff.
    Hi Adam, loved your c-betting 101 video. Do you have plans a for c-betting oop in the works?

The sequel to this video is actually already out. It's called "defending checks OOP". Understanding when not to cbet OOP is related to when and how to defend our checking range OOP as the PFR.
    Troy H wrote: »
    Maybe you can give me some advice on my current situation.

Im working the typical 9-5 and can save around $700 per month. Im a winning 25nl player online and want to make the transfer to $1/$2 live with ~$1k bankroll.

The game that plays near me is a $1/$2 game with $300 max but in.

I'm currently on a trial here at RCP but will let that convert to a paid membership as I love the site and the frequent posts in the forum (really what did it for me). I'm continuing to study, and recently watched your two videos on auto priofiting OOP and IP (great job btw).

Anyways, what would be your advice for me in my situation?

I could probably start with more than $1k, but if I lose $1k to variance playing the right way, it wouldn't bother me. That's why I chose that amount.

So just so we are clear, $1k is obviously no decent bankroll for playing $1/$2 live. If your bankroll was irreplaceable you need at least $4k to absorb swings, and that's assuming you are confident that you can already beat the games.

Having said that, seems like your $1k roll is replaceable if you go bust. So basically, it's completely fine as a 5bi shot. Statistically you will lose that $1k with some frequency even if you play perfectly, but simply rebuild and repeat until a shot goes through. (After which you should follow more stringent bankroll management and avoid dipping into your life-roll again if possible).

edited July 15
    SplitSuit wrote: »
    What are the biggest leaks you see in your average student today?

How do those leaks compare to students from 2 years ago?

What is the biggest "soft skill" improvement the average player could use today?

If you could only play one cash game variant for the next year, and it had to be a LIMIT game, which game would you choose to play and why?

Probably the biggest lacking skills for many poker players are in fact, soft skills. Mindset and productivity are actually what caps the progress of the majority imo. As a coach I've heard it all. "I didn't grind this week because my dog is sad about losing his chew toy". Volume is obviously a huge part of being a successfully poker player, so putting in zero volume is actually a massive leak. And some of these guys are intelligent, with potential. They understand many of the theoretical and technical aspects of the game, but if they don't play, or can't handle tilt, then they can't succeed at poker.

The hard skills have a tendency to develop over time, but the soft skills need some assistance. This is why I offer full sessions on both mindset and productivity as part of my coaching. Poker coaches should always be able to look after this aspect of their students' development imo.

The leaks in hard skills are varied. Obviously, average recreational player calls too much in general. Usually I make a point of checking river-call-efficiency stat in first session if there is a sample. Calling station tendencies are usually indicated by a high-red line also. In some senses, the biggest leaks players have revolve around the most important strategies for playing in a low limit population. The importance of over-folding vs aggression and the importance of being able to value-bet effectively. These hard skills take priority in the earlier sessions if leaks are found there.

As for change over the last 2 years, honestly not much. The poker boom is a bit like the computer boom. There are huge developments initially, but things have slowed down in recent times. It's getting harder to add that extra notch to your winrate, and hence the skill gap between experienced regulars is smaller. (Having said that, huge edges still available, I don't want to discourage anyone. Poker it not dead at all).

If I was forced to play a limit variant for a year, it would hands down be Omaha Hi/Lo. A lot of clueless players here and the variant is super fun. Only reason why it might not be practical is because you really have to hunt for traffic. Limit HE is obviously the highest traffic, but the amount of work you'd need to put in to not get crushed vs some of the world's best is insane. I could probably teach someone to be profitable at limit O8 in a few weeks if they worked hard. In the not too distant future I will start offering coaching for various exotic formats.

colldav wrote: »

I think most of your videos have been excellent, and echo the love for the c-betting video. One area the video left me wanting more was how to select which hands to put in the check-raising range, both value and bluffs. Would appreciate if you could give your thoughts on this, either in this thread or in an OOP c-betting video.

Thanks.

Check out the video on "defending checks OOP". This was designed as a direct sequel to cbetting 101. If you watch and find there is something still missing, msg me back in this thread and we can potentially arrange third installment.
    Austin wrote: »
    What life activities do you do to balance obsession with poker?

How many hours a week are you playing and is it mostly cash or mtt?

I am actually qualified musician with music degree. I play the classical guitar and the piano.

I am also married.

I also like to travel. Currently I am in Nairobi and have spent several years learning the language.

As for hours, I am in the industry full time. That means I am either playing or coaching from 8am until 6:30pm every weekday. I guess that works out at 52.5 hours per week. Coaching includes 1-on-1 coaching, time spent creating training content in the way of videos and articles, and working on my other products such as HUD, preflop ranges etc etc. I specialize in cash games btw, but I work with several MTT students.
    kenaces wrote: »
    Stakes/games played/WR this year?

I play a selection of small to mid-stakes 5-6 max games. Anywhere between 100nl and 600nl, depends on traffic. My winrate is around 8bb/100 hands.
    Monad wrote: »
    Where'd you get your RCP profile photo taken?

Restaurant in Nairobi named Tamambo.

I am drinking a Dawa cocktail. Dawa is the Swahili word for "medicine". It's a mixture of lemon, honey, sugar and vodka (or something similar).
    w34z3l wrote: »

Thanks.

Check out the video on "defending checks OOP". This was designed as a direct sequel to cbetting 101. If you watch and find there is something still missing, msg me back in this thread and we can potentially arrange third installment.

How embarrassment. I don't know how I missed that video, particularly given I was one of those asking for it at the time.

Got half way through the video before my dodgy tropical island internet gave up. Excellent as always, but I will likely have a few questions when I finish watching.

Thanks.
  • Adam WheelerAdam Wheeler Red Chipper Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭✭
    Hey Adam,

I greatly appreciate all of your content. I think it is always well structured and well explained.

If you had only 2 skills to teach low stakes online players what would they be.
  • Michael WMichael W Red Chipper Posts: 81 ✭✭
    but how much did you lose?
    Hey Adam,

I greatly appreciate all of your content. I think it is always well structured and well explained.

If you had only 2 skills to teach low stakes online players what would they be.

Similar to how I mentioned earlier, there are two primary strategic skills that are more important than others at low limits.

1. Value betting effectively
    2. Overfolding vs aggression

Get these two right, and that might already be enough to secure a positive winrate. It really depends on the games.
    Michael W wrote: »
    but how much did you lose?

I'm guessing this is not a serious question!

Anyway, I'm one of these guys that never deposited. I started with no deposit bonuses on various sites. Nowadays I will deposit because I move money around, but it all came from poker originally.
    w34z3l wrote: »

Thanks.

Ok, I have now watched the "Defending Checks OOP" video in its entirety. First, this was an excellent video, tons of really valuable material.

However... I don't think it really answered the question - how do I decide which hands go in a check-raising range ? What qualities determine whether a value hand is a better c-bet or a check-raise ? Which bluffs are better to c-bet, and which are better check-raise ? What do I want to be blocking or unblocking ? How does board texture impact these decisions ?

Maybe I missed the point somewhere ? Are the answers implied in the Mixed Strategies section ?

In my opinion this topic (playing with the initiative OOP) is complex enough that I'd love to see another one or more instalments, covering check-raising in more depth but also looking at more examples.
  • Troy HTroy H Red Chipper Posts: 20 ✭✭
    Let's say your at a table with all unknowns.

Do you:

A) Focus in on the players currently in a hand, and repeat this with every hand?

B) Pay particular attention to the person on your left, and two to your right for tells (when in a hand or not) while still focusing on A but not as much?

C) Find table captain and dethrone him.

D) Something else.

And why?

Thanks!!

• Adam WheelerAdam Wheeler Red Chipper Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭✭
    how do I decide which hands go in a check-raising range ? What qualities determine whether a value hand is a better c-bet or a check-raise ? Which bluffs are better to c-bet, and which are better check-raise ? What do I want to be blocking or unblocking ? How does board texture impact these decisions ?
    This would be based on the way opponents react to your strategy in the moment and you would probably adjust based on off felt work you did vs. that very scenario that is happening.

I think it can't be a fixed answered as it will always depend on the ranges opponents play vs. You and the way they now play it.

Now how to best react is another thing and Adam Jones will surely be more qualified then me to have a very precise answer based on stats and experience.
    You don't think we should have a default check-raising strategy to use against unknowns Adam ?

I suck at putting opponents on ranges, I'd like to think the check-raise is a tool I could still use as part of my default strategy.

However... I don't think it really answered the question - how do I decide which hands go in a check-raising range ? What qualities determine whether a value hand is a better c-bet or a check-raise ? Which bluffs are better to c-bet, and which are better check-raise ? What do I want to be blocking or unblocking ? How does board texture impact these decisions ?

Maybe I missed the point somewhere ? Are the answers implied in the Mixed Strategies section ?

Probably makes sense to start off by saying that correct strategy is going to involve using some of the same hands in our cbetting range as well as in our check-raising range. That would imply that the expectation is the same otherwise we would always choose one line over the other.

One example would be nut-flush-draw. It makes an excellent check-raise but also an excellent cbet. One line is not clearly better than the other, but we should take both options with some frequency if we want to minimise the impact of of any counter-strategies our opponent might develop.

Having said that, there are certain qualities a hand might possess which could make it less favourable as a check/raise. For example, having a hand that draws to something dominated. When we check/raise we increase the size of the pot on average, and hence prefer hands that do well in big pots. Check/raising dominated straight draws and flush-draws is not recommended. These type of holdings often play better as a check/calls as the PFR.

Value check/raising range is often going to look like sets or top-2 plus. So naturally holdings such as pairs make less favourable check/raises. They will play better as cbets or check/calls - usually depending on the vulnerability levels of the pair. Pair + redraws can often be check/called instead of cbet.

These are just generalisations however. Naturally board texture will play a role. Less need to develop check/raising range on static boards for example. Only real way to improve at this is to do detailed work with software and solvers.

I've had a look at my video lineup, and basically I have realised that I don't have one specifically on check/raising. So I'll probably make a vid on check/raising as the cold-caller. Most of the principles for hand selection as the cold-caller translate identically to check/raising as the PFR. In the mean time, you'll probably find that the video "flop connection nuances" will be very relevant if you are able to perceive how the concepts should be adjusted to playing hands after checking as the PFR.