Interesting hand, what would you do?

Chris FChris F Red Chipper Posts: 115 ✭✭
edited July 16 in Live Poker Hands
This hand comes from my live NL 1/2 session tonight.

Im on the button with :Ac :Kc with 4 limpers in front of me.

My Thought Process: "This is a good hand to open with. Both players in the blinds are passive and will probably fold and I don't expect to get 3bet by any player. I'll make it $20 and that should scare most everyone out or at least make it a heads up pot."

I make it $20 and the UTG calls after 30 seconds or so. Effective stack size is $180

The flop comes :3c :7c :4h Opponent checks.

My Thought Process: I have a flush draw and two over cards plus I don't think I board helped my opponent any so I'm going to Cbet this flop.

I fire a Cbet 2/3 pot. Opponent looks at his cards, thinks about it for around 30 seconds and calls.

The Turn comes :Td and Opponent checks.

My Thought Process: "My opponent really didn't seem to like my cbet and I don't think that turn card helped him any. He either has a small-medium pocket pair, flush draw, or maybe a straight draw. Could have broadway cards but I doubt it. Also I think I once heard Ed MIller say that if you bet the flop you should bet the turn. I think I can bluff him off of this hand."

I fire a pot sized bet and after a long time thinking about it my opponent calls.

River comes :9d and opponent checks.

My Thought Process What the hell do I do now?!? I'm likely beat. I could fold but that makes no sense because I can check but if I check I'm probably going to lose. I can bet but how much do I bet? Why didn't he fold before?!?! I know his hand can't be very strong. Grrrr."

Yes, that was my thought process lol. Anyways, what would you guys do here? I'll come back after I wake up and post what actually happened.

Thanks!

Comments

• AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 2,514 ✭✭✭✭
    Flop ($40)
    You bet $30?
    Call
    Turn ($100)
    You bet 100?

River (300)
    Simple check back. Stacks are like 50 remaining? Save your $50 no one is folding river.
  • NinjahNinjah Red Chipper Posts: 873 ✭✭✭✭
    What @Austin said. If we had a PSB behind then I wouldn't mind a jam here on the river but as played I'd just check behind. Opponent is capped at one pair and we have overpairs in our range but we don't have enough money left behind to generate a fold. With only $50 or so behind after a PSB I'd rather jam turn as it is a complete brick and you can put max pressure on your opponent.
  • Chris FChris F Red Chipper Posts: 115 ✭✭
    So here is what happened. I was still convinced that I could bluff him off the hand so I shoved all in. The other posters are correct that I should have probably shoved on the turn instead.

Opponent snap calls and shows a :Jh :9h

He lucked out on the river. I was a little shocked to see he didn't have more. I could understand him calling me down if I had a history of bluffing but I very rarely ever bluff (first time at the table since completing the crash course so now im incorporating aggression into my game more) and it was only his fourth hand at the table so I doubt he had some read on me.

He played the same way all night. Was in nearly every hand, would call down people with air and get lucky on the turn or river every time. Lol, he had a good night.
  • bigburge10bigburge10 Red Chipper Posts: 985 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 16
    I don't really think this flop is great for you against a limp/calling range. I think you can consider checking back here with a lot of your range. Of course, after seeing what hand this player shows up with, betting certainly isn't a mistake! I might check flop and rip it on the turn.

As played, I think the main mistake is not jamming all in on the turn. If you're going to bet, it needs to be all in. There's no reason to leave a 1/6 pot sized bet for the river. It's even worse to consider that you have any fold equity on the river for this sizing. I think betting the $50 on the river is just giving V an extra $50. If he does fold, A high was a winner anyway--I mean, he just called pot sized bet on the turn--he isn't finding a fold for a 1/6th pot bet on the river.

Also, I don't think the Td is a great card for you to barrel--even with the sizing you chose. This isn't a very scary card for V.

As for V's hand---wow! I'd go rebuy and book a couples trip to value town. Especially since this player won this hand, it's going to reinforce them to call/float/spew.

As for V's play--weird they're floating with such a hand OOP with these stack sizes. I would probably float you if we were way deeper (maybe 200BB's+). I would say if this player is going to float the flop, they need to jam the turn on you--make you show up with a hand/pressure your range. Also, when you steamroll past the leverage point on the turn, they still find a call with basically nothing. This player is definitely playing like a fish and just got really lucky on you.

• Chris FChris F Red Chipper Posts: 115 ✭✭
    While it sucked to lose my stack im glad this happened because it pointed out a big leak of mine; I dont tend to keep stack sizes in mind. I also dont fully feel like I have a good grasp on proper bet sizing. Ill be studying those two things for the rest of the day.
  • CASEY MCASEY M Red Chipper Posts: 86 ✭✭
    Villains possible thinking...
    Preflop: I'm suited
    Flop: I have two overs
    Turn: I have an over and a gut shot
    River: my 9 is better than whatever he got on the flop....

Total station... no need to push semibluffs on him for awhile but as stated before.... it's Valentine's Day in valuetown