Hand #4 3betting a Spewy Lag

Troy HTroy H Red Chipper Posts: 20 ✭✭
edited July 16 in Live Workbook (Vol 1)
Preflop 3betting range: (110 combos)(8%) AA-TT,AKo-AJo,KQo,AKs-ATs,KQs-KTs,QJs

TT is the worst pair I 3bet. QJs is the worst broadway I would 3bet, and I am more likely to call the 3bet with suited connectors vs Aces. Aces I would include in my light 3betting range if opponent started 4bet/folding.

:QH: :9C: :3H:

FLOP: (63 combos)(62% of the previous range) AA-QQ,AKo-AQo,KQo,AKs-AQs,KQs,QJs,AhJh,AhTh,KhJh,KhTh

Given our opponent is a Spewy Lag, I would bet all top pairs, bet all flush draws, and check every Ace-High that isn't Ace King.

:7h:

TURN: Betting (76% of previous range) (47 combos) AA-QQ,AQo,KQo,AQs,KQs,QJs,AhKh,AhJh,AhTh,KhJh,KhTh

I am betting all QX with no heart (I would rather him fold those than realize his equity on river)

I am checking the nut flush draws with no pair (the board doesn't really change much in a spewy lag's mind, doubt he'd put me on a flush draw and fold, so I would rather realize my equity on the river).

I am not bluffing this player, I believe he will call a high percentage of the time due to the 7 not changing much (in this players mind).

:4S:

RIVER: Betting (94% of previous range) (44 combos) AA-QQ,AQo,KQo,AQs,KQs,QJs,AhKh,AhJh,AhTh,KhJh,KhTh

I am betting everything here except for QJ. This is the only hand from the turn I would check.

Missed Draws? I am giving up on them. There is less than a PSB left on the river and our opponent isn't a TAG. I am not bluffing this player.

Is the above the right mindset to have VS a Spewy Lag? I bet a large percentage of my range on earlier streets to build the pot up for a shove if I hit AND so that he doesn't view me as a NIT. This is my money maker, right?

Comments

• Russ IRuss I Red Chipper Posts: 31 ✭✭
    Preflop betting range against MP: AA-99,AKo-AQo,AKs-AQs 5.13%, 68 combos.

3B with 99+. With AQ+ and AQs+. Yes, I'm 3Bing with my big pairs, unless I've seen him fold to that 3B, which if so he wouldn't be a "spewy lag" in my read.

Yes, I'm a NIT. MAYBE I'd open it up against a LAG, but I don't feel my game is there yet. I can find other spots to take advantage of him without playing more hands with dangerous cards.

Flop :QH: :9C: :3H:
    AP, my range is AA-99,AKo-AQo,AKs-AQs.
    He's a LAG, so I'm CBing my entire range.

Answers to questions in the book: Top Pair, bet. Flush draw, only betting my bottom flush draws as a bluff, which I don't have any in my 3B range. I'll bet AK/AQhh as a value hand.

Turn :7H:

Answers to questions in the book: I would bet my entire CBing range here, except my A high hands. I tend to not believe a flush until I'm told otherwise. I also have found a lot of LAGs call the flop and fold the turn.
    Qx no H: One more bet.
    NFD: Still checking
    Bluffs: I have enough betting in my range I can wait on the river to bluff the flush.

AA-99,AQo,AQs,AhKh,AcKh,AdKh,AsKh,AhKc,AhKd,AhKs, 84.5%5 of my previous range, 49 combos.

River :4S:

Answers to the questions in the book: Given my entire line, I end up betting all streets on my flop CB range, except A high/K high. I'm really only worried about an over pair or a better Q beating me. I'm not worried about the 56. I think I would have heard about a made flush, AA, or KK already. Since the LAG has a 1/2 size bet left, I would think he would have raised the turn to get it in.

Missed draws? Bet Ah, no others.
    Bluffs? I don't usually bluff LAGs much. Without a decent heart in my hand I see no reason to bluff the missed flush. Can't credibly bluff 56.

That said, I'm not going AI. I'm betting $495 :-) You know what? I've seen that make a difference to some fish.

AA-99,AQo,AQs,AhKh, 87.8% of my range, 43 combos.

Now: My self assessment at $1-$2 is I don't know when to shut it down. I've three barreled only to be called down and beaten with hands that I think should have announced themselves on previous streets. Maybe I'm doing that here.
  • LynxLynx Red Chipper Posts: 11 ✭✭
    Troy H wrote: »
    Preflop 3betting range: (110 combos)(8%) AA-TT,AKo-AJo,KQo,AKs-ATs,KQs-KTs,QJs

TT is the worst pair I 3bet. QJs is the worst broadway I would 3bet, and I am more likely to call the 3bet with suited connectors vs Aces. Aces I would include in my light 3betting range if opponent started 4bet/folding.

:QH: :9C: :3H:

FLOP: (63 combos)(62% of the previous range) AA-QQ,AKo-AQo,KQo,AKs-AQs,KQs,QJs,AhJh,AhTh,KhJh,KhTh

Given our opponent is a Spewy Lag, I would bet all top pairs, bet all flush draws, and check every Ace-High that isn't Ace King.

:7h:

TURN: Betting (76% of previous range) (47 combos) AA-QQ,AQo,KQo,AQs,KQs,QJs,AhKh,AhJh,AhTh,KhJh,KhTh

I am betting all QX with no heart (I would rather him fold those than realize his equity on river)

I am checking the nut flush draws with no pair (the board doesn't really change much in a spewy lag's mind, doubt he'd put me on a flush draw and fold, so I would rather realize my equity on the river).

I am not bluffing this player, I believe he will call a high percentage of the time due to the 7 not changing much (in this players mind).

:4S:

RIVER: Betting (94% of previous range) (44 combos) AA-QQ,AQo,KQo,AQs,KQs,QJs,AhKh,AhJh,AhTh,KhJh,KhTh

I am betting everything here except for QJ. This is the only hand from the turn I would check.

Missed Draws? I am giving up on them. There is less than a PSB left on the river and our opponent isn't a TAG. I am not bluffing this player.

Is the above the right mindset to have VS a Spewy Lag? I bet a large percentage of my range on earlier streets to build the pot up for a shove if I hit AND so that he doesn't view me as a NIT. This is my money maker, right?

I would 3-bet less hands preflop because I think a spewy lag is gonna make some betting mistake postflop. So I keep more hands in my calling range than you. My 3-bet range is more like a polarize 4% or 5%. But if I would be playing your range preflop, I would probably bet something close to your range on the flop and turn but I would bet less on the river. I am not sure if QJs or KQ as lots of value but of course it all depend on the range we put vilain on.

I think spewy lag are more prone to make error in their betting strategy, like betting with a weak hand, than they are to make a calling mistake, like calling with a weak hand. If vilain was a loose passif or a p-fish or weak passif or that type of player I would go with a unpolarized large 3-bet range like you. I would go for value with weak hands postflpp because of the calling mistake those player make. But since vilain is spewy lag I belive he will fold a dedent amount of hands to aggression from hero. So i would not go for thin value too much. I would try to call preflop and let them bluff their money postflop. Spewy lag in my mind sound like a lag that gonna bluff too much because he is not really good or he play for the gamble.
  • LynxLynx Red Chipper Posts: 11 ✭✭
    Russ I wrote: »
    Preflop betting range against MP: AA-99,AKo-AQo,AKs-AQs 5.13%, 68 combos.

3B with 99+. With AQ+ and AQs+. Yes, I'm 3Bing with my big pairs, unless I've seen him fold to that 3B, which if so he wouldn't be a "spewy lag" in my read.

Yes, I'm a NIT. MAYBE I'd open it up against a LAG, but I don't feel my game is there yet. I can find other spots to take advantage of him without playing more hands with dangerous cards.

Flop :QH: :9C: :3H:
    AP, my range is AA-99,AKo-AQo,AKs-AQs.
    He's a LAG, so I'm CBing my entire range.

Answers to questions in the book: Top Pair, bet. Flush draw, only betting my bottom flush draws as a bluff, which I don't have any in my 3B range. I'll bet AK/AQhh as a value hand.

Turn :7H:

Answers to questions in the book: I would bet my entire CBing range here, except my A high hands. I tend to not believe a flush until I'm told otherwise. I also have found a lot of LAGs call the flop and fold the turn.
    Qx no H: One more bet.
    NFD: Still checking
    Bluffs: I have enough betting in my range I can wait on the river to bluff the flush.

AA-99,AQo,AQs,AhKh,AcKh,AdKh,AsKh,AhKc,AhKd,AhKs, 84.5%5 of my previous range, 49 combos.

River :4S:

Answers to the questions in the book: Given my entire line, I end up betting all streets on my flop CB range, except A high/K high. I'm really only worried about an over pair or a better Q beating me. I'm not worried about the 56. I think I would have heard about a made flush, AA, or KK already. Since the LAG has a 1/2 size bet left, I would think he would have raised the turn to get it in.

Missed draws? Bet Ah, no others.
    Bluffs? I don't usually bluff LAGs much. Without a decent heart in my hand I see no reason to bluff the missed flush. Can't credibly bluff 56.

That said, I'm not going AI. I'm betting $495 :-) You know what? I've seen that make a difference to some fish.

AA-99,AQo,AQs,AhKh, 87.8% of my range, 43 combos.

Now: My self assessment at $1-$2 is I don't know when to shut it down. I've three barreled only to be called down and beaten with hands that I think should have announced themselves on previous streets. Maybe I'm doing that here.

I dont think TT or JJ should be bet on the river. I dont view spewy lag calling with worst. Maybe we dont have the same definition of spewy lag. But the lag part of the name implied that he is loose and aggressive. The spewy part of the name implied that he put too much money in the pot. To me it sound more like someone who gonna bet hands too weak. But I dont see those player as callers that much. I dont think TT or JJ gonna be call by enough worst hands to make it +EV to bet those hands. But for the other hands in your range it sound ok.