Tom Dwan

MaxPowerJuniorMaxPowerJunior Red Chipper Posts: 41 ✭✭
edited June 2015 in Off Topic Chat
Love watching Tom Dwan videos. What makes him so much better than other players? What exactly is he thinking through? Would he do as well at 1/2 where he couldn't push people off the hand(too many stubborn calls)?

Comments

• Rello242Rello242 Red Chipper Posts: 595 ✭✭
    You know when i talked to people who wants to get in the poker field because they watch ESPN poker on tv and see players like Tom Dwan, i always find myself making this general statement: "The difference between your play and Tom Dwan play even if its exactly identical, is that Tom Dwan knew exactly what hands he gets to fold and what hands he get to call at the price he sets. When he know the different outcomes and weighs it against a mathematical logical strategy, it makes his plays genius versus someone who just does it because they see Tom Dwan does it."

The thing here is Tom Dwan has mastered the tendencies, the ranges, the math and everything needed to make a play executed perfectly well. His aggression in certain spots has proven that he isn't just crazy. He understand just what his opponents are capable of doing and he executes almost perfectly everytime.

What makes Tom Dwan special isn't something that just happens to be luck but its all that hard work he put in over the years before anyone knew who he was that makes him special, and that hard work has given him the understanding to know exactly when, who and where to make those plays.

So if you want to be know why it doesn't work at 1/2 against stubborn players is probably because you haven't mastered when, who and where to execute difficult moves. Meaning, there is alot more to learn and you learn alot when you take the time to study and work on your game. You quickly learn that who you play is a huge factor, when you make your big moves is a huge factor and where to make them is a huge factor as well. These are spots and opportunities that you just don't see naturally without that work versus someone like Tom Dwan who pick his spots almost perfectly.

Bottom line: Hard work pays off, so study hard.

-Rello
    -Rello

"Its better to give than to receive, so bet more and call less"
    Check out my HUSNG Graph: Chips-Results
    Follow All the Action On My Blog: www.rello242.blogspot.com
  • MaxPowerJuniorMaxPowerJunior Red Chipper Posts: 41 ✭✭
    Thanks for the response. I agree with everything you said. He still must have a certain brain for poker. Chances are if I or most of the people on this site worked just as hard as Dwan still would not be as good. I imagine he went from not knowing anything to a winning strategy pretty quickly and then continued to improve as he moved up stakes. So specifically you think he's just working out his opponents range and exploiting? What does he work through to get so good at putting someone on such a specific range? Does he have the math and situations essentially memorized so that part is automatic and he can 100% focus on exploiting?
  • Rello242Rello242 Red Chipper Posts: 595 ✭✭
    As far as his capability goes, its hard to say for sure. However, as you become better at understanding the game then understanding what other players are doing, whether it be a good or bad play, becomes pretty clear. I would say take the spotlight off of Tom Dwan and work on you. He mastered alot of things in poker and you should aim to do the same except without comparing it to Tom Dwan.

Set your goals as you study and obtain the understanding and knowledge you need to crush the game.
    -Rello

"Its better to give than to receive, so bet more and call less"
    Check out my HUSNG Graph: Chips-Results
    Follow All the Action On My Blog: www.rello242.blogspot.com
  • magicpigmagicpig Red Chipper Posts: 97 ✭✭
    Tom is great compared to most. However, he is not considered one of the very best among the top players and there are a number of players who would love to play him heads up.

Many knowledge people do not consider Tom to be honorable after how he stopped playing durring his heads up match with Jungleman when he stood to lose 1.5 million dollars on a side bet if he lost the match. Quite a few years have gone by since Tom played a hand in this match and he was badly behind and a big favorite to lose at the time he stopped playing.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file