Turn ($4.25) :9c :8s :5s :Tc
SB checks
Hero ($10.50) bets $2.75
SB all in covers $10.50 effective
Hero ? $7.75 to win $17.50

How's my line and bet sizing?

Comments

• MonadMonad Red Chipper Posts: 970 ✭✭✭
    All you want to know is if your line is coherent and/or bet-sizing is alright? OK -- Yes to both. I'm sure some of the long-ball-or-die players on these forums will say fold our button w/ 98o, but I both disagree & digress. 98o plays well enough on a good # of flops, we have position, and just fact we understand something about C-Betting gives us a very large advantage regardless of backdoor potential, etc.

As for whether you should call the shove OTT, have you ran some combos & guessed @ an answer yet?
  • moishetreatsmoishetreats Red Chipper Posts: 664 ✭✭✭
    I agree with @Monad, but I would make a very small suggestion: double-barreling at closer to $3.00 or $3.25 so that the river shove isn't over-betting the pot. Just a small idea and a personal preference.

Overall, though, I think that your betting line is great: it's highly unlikely that the Tc on the river changes who is ahead or behind.
  • AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭✭
    I figured there were enough QT, JT, TsAs that peals the flop, where my hand is still ahead of the overall range.

Usually I post HH with a lot of my own thoughts, I wanted to post some without planting my own thoughts in someone's head to see what type of feedback I get back.

I agree with larger sizing on the turn of $3.25. I think checking back is being result oriented because of the line villain took. Ton of bad rivers by not betting this turn.

I could tighten up button range being we are 50bb effective, I agree hands like 87o and almost any two suited cards can be opened on the button. Maybe around 70%-80% of hands are worth opening on the button if you don't have a maniac in the blinds.
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is no play at 50 bbs for much of the deck. It would be more useful to understand how that changes the entire shape of your strategy than to find this micro edge here, if there is one. On the button you have every possible advantage but it will still be very , very hard to make this percentile of the deck work for you- especially with these post flop sizings that inflate the pot vis a vis the stack. If this is your game, you might consider going smaller to reflect your range and open up possibilities and induce reactions your position miggt want.

Further, when you bet into a card that fills some of your opponent's range, real and perceived, what is being accomplished? Is this a good b/f choice or does rhis hand reatain equity? And do we now justify stacking off because of the stacks or a guess about their range? You just can't evade the nature of no limit being subject to how your holdings corresponds with stacks.
  • AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭✭
    persuadeo wrote: »
    There is no play at 50 bbs for much of the deck. It would be more useful to understand how that changes the entire shape of your strategy than to find this micro edge here, if there is one. On the button you have every possible advantage but it will still be very , very hard to make this percentile of the deck work for you- especially with these post flop sizings that inflate the pot vis a vis the stack. If this is your game, you might consider going smaller to reflect your range and open up possibilities and induce reactions your position miggt want.

Further, when you bet into a card that fills some of your opponent's range, real and perceived, what is being accomplished? Is this a good b/f choice or does rhis hand reatain equity? And do we now justify stacking off because of the stacks or a guess about their range? You just can't evade the nature of no limit being subject to how your holdings corresponds with stacks.

Well put. From what I've been reading most raises should be 2-2.5x and 3 bets should never be more than 3x. That way you keep their ranges wide as well. Opening 3-4x you can't really set mine, so 22-66 go out the window. Raising large preflop just puts me at a range disadvantage vs the tight calling range. Where min raising entices them to call with a wide range. Then may the better post flop player win.