Hand Read This ME FT Spot...

SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 4,069 -
edited August 2017 in Challenge Forum
There was one hand that I felt was the most influential when play got down to 3-handed at the FT this year. So much so, that I figured it made for a great hand reading exercise...

Today I challenge you to take this 1-hand quiz. You'll do some quick combo analysis for each streets and it should take you just a couple minutes at most. Copy/paste your answers from the end of the quiz in this thread and let me know what you thought of the lines and the quiz itself.

i80o73z9tujm.png

http://splitsu.it/main-hand
📑 Grab my custom poker spreadsheet pack right now.
📘 Start the Preflop & Math Poker Workbook today.

Comments

• tfaziotfazio Red Chipper Posts: 819 ✭✭✭
    I thought this was IMHO the point in the match where OTT is taken out.
    Opening Range: 444
    Callv3Bet Range: 250
    CallFCB: 128
    CallTCB: 110
    FoldvRCB: 79
  • SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 4,069 -
    I agree, this was a huge turning point hand. I think Ott felt especially deflated once he found out the results after the delay/break...
  • XCobraJockXCobraJock Red Chipper Posts: 6 ✭✭
    Opening Range: 28%
    Callv3Bet Range: 20%
    CallFCB: 12%
    CallTCB: 11%
    FoldvRCB: 7%

Blumenthal had a classic dilemma on the river. He knows Ott knows Ott can't have the nut flush. Ott knows Blumenthal could easily have the Kc in his OR. If Blumenthal doesn't bet the river, he is certainly beat, and will lose a significant portion of his chips, putting Ott in the lead. However, his Kc gives him the perfect bluffing opportunity. It looks exactly like a triple-barrel bluff that even if Ott read it, he still had to consider that, the way Blumenthal 3-bet, C-bet, and C-bet shoved, it also looks exactly like a made flush. Bold stroke by Blumenthal? Or . . . No other option?
    <i mean ... blumstein>
    XCobraJock wrote: »
    Opening Range: 28%
    Callv3Bet Range: 20%
    CallFCB: 12%
    CallTCB: 11%
    FoldvRCB: 7%

Are you framing that as:

He folds 7% of the time on the river
    He folds 7/11 of total hands on the river

?
    edited July 2017
    Of the 11% TCB calling combos, he folds 70% on the river shove.

In other words, if he calls 12% of combos on the flop, and 11% on the turn, he calls 4% on the river.
  • CononthepokerCononthepoker Red Chipper Posts: 38 ✭✭
    Opening Range: 130
    Callv3Bet Range: 80
    CallFCB: 56
    CallTCB: 50
    FoldvRCB: 36

This was my range considering the huge pay swing I dont think Ott is raising too light here.
  • zampana1970zampana1970 Red Chipper Posts: 549 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Opening Range: 374
    Callv3Bet Range: 246
    CallFCB: 78
    CallTCB: 54
    FoldvRCB: 24

If I was doing this again I'd be having him call with a few more Ax hands on the flop that would have shown up by the river...

If I was doing this again I'd be having him call with a few more Ax hands on the flop that would have shown up by the river...

Why's that?
    I think he would know that SB is going to aggressively bet 3 handed and TP here has to be good a significant portion of the time, particularly when kicker is also a club. Any larger Ax must be calling, no?
    I suppose I should have asked "why wouldn't you have kept more Ax in the flop range the first time, instead of feeling like you have to add them in later?"
    Hmm. That is a good question. I tossed out all but my club suited aces and should have gone back and added them back. Also went to the river with some medium suited connectors that would have likely raised the turn.

I think it's that, when I do quizzes like this (and when I play a hand in poker), I do a quick pass on it and see where I end up and then later I have a longer, deeper think and realize that there were things I missed or better ways to build the ranges (or play a hand). This is part of my own mental game issues -- playing too fast, too "intuitively," to get to SD, rather than slowing down and being a little more thoughtful at each decision point.
    " I do a quick pass on it and see where I end up and then later I have a longer, deeper think and realize that there were things I missed or better ways to build the ranges"

That's what I did, too. Plus, there's a difference between my own range and what I think Ott's range might be because I'm not as advanced as a player.
    PS - I predict James will ask "Why would your own range be different?"
    This is a good question! Why would it be? I know exactly what you mean though. I think part of it is the speed at which the ranges get built. I'm still trying to figure this stuff out so it takes a long time, much longer than I have in hand.

And I'm still trying to think of other players ranges as different from my own, not just what I would do if I were in the same position. That part feels REALLY hard!
  • Bryan BBryan B Red Chipper Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Pretty new to this and would like everyone's feedback on this one step at a time. Not sure if this range is too narrow. Also not sure as to which hand we are 4 betting here as programs like poker snowie suggest 4 betting A2s-A5s alot but that is for cash games I believe not for your tournament life. My opening range is the same as my callv3bet range which is probably means my opening range is too narrow. I just can't imagine that I can open for 4.4mil just to fold when the SB raises because he is probably wider then this range as he is the chip leader and knows i will be opening wider from the button and he will also want to knock out the BB. When Blumstein bets 13mil into about 7mil there is 20mil in the pot I need to call 9mil so I need about 40% equity to break even? He needs me to fold 67% of the time and I should be defending with 33% of my range to prevent him from bluffing with ATC (static fold equity / Minimum defense frequency ). How do I apply this to constructing my range? Please all criticism is welcome then I will move to the next step (if that is ok) thank you for the help :)

16 A2
    16 A3
    16 A4
    16 A5
    16 A6
    16 A7
    16 A8
    16 A9
    12 A10
    16 AJ
    -16 AQ (4bet)
    -12 AK (4bet)

(156 combos)

12 KQ
    12 KJ
    9 KT
    3 K9s

(36 combos)

16 QJ
    12 QT
    4 Q9s

(32 combos)

3 JTs
    4 J9s

3 T9s

4 98s
    4 87s

(18 combos)

-6 AA (4bet or call?)
    -3 KK (4bet or call?)
    -6 QQ (4bet)
    -6 JJ (4bet)
    -3 1010 (4bet)
    -6 99 (4bet?)
    -6 88 (4bet?)
    -6 77
    6 66
    6 55
    6 44
    6 33
    6 22

(30 combos)

Total Opening / Cv3Bet Preflop Combos (272)

@Bryan B You are heading down the right direction. But to keep you from going too far outside of the box, try answering these questions:

1. If Blumstein is 3betting wide, how could you adjust your strategy?
    2. Is entering the 4bet/5bet dynamic best right this moment?

Also remember that your defense % should also keep skill, position, and pressure edges in mind. It should not be a flat % since there is still future play (and lots of it) where edge differential comes into play.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file