Tilt - is mine uncommon?

napncrashnapncrash Red Chipper Posts: 36 ✭✭
edited April 2015 in General Concepts
I have tilt issues.

I have many years of winning poker under my belt. I deserve to be confident - and I usually am. (Live poker)

And after MUCH self-reflection, I can honestly say that it doesn't much affect my play. My tilt doesn't come in the form of C game.

It affects my happiness and confidence during a downswing. Not life happiness, just poker happiness.

When I make a mistake or start living a downswing, my poker HAPPINESS and CONFIDENCE are crushed. A few months (or even sessions) can make me feel like I've lost any clue of how to play. "Good players wouldn't allow this kind of downswing." I know that's unreasonable, but I can't help but feel that way when poker chooses to be impossible.

When things go badly, I can feel the heat pumping out of my collar. A GOOD player wouldn't experience this downswing. RIGHT??

I devour mountains of poker content, but I'm longing to hear from good, long term winners (maybe our coaches??), about their DOWNSWINGS. We are always told that they'll happen to everyone. And I mathematically understand that. And I've experienced it many times. I just think I need a support group. I care so much about my skills and profit that I get REALLY frustrated when things stall out.

Does anyone else experience this type of tilt? Not spewing, not berating players, not ripping cards... but the type that just tortures your mind until you're solidly in an upswing again.

I want to overcome that kind of tilt. Anyone else in this club?

Comments

• persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm planning on writing extensively on tilt and related issues in the future, but I'll give you the immediate triage for now:

1) Losing sometimes, or for a duration of some sort, from a single hand to a month of play, is not only expected, it is so normal that if you don't expect it, you haven't really accepted this truth intellectually as deeply as you think you have.

2) A downswing or even just a bad stretch is an open invitation, a happy one, an opportunity, to analyze your game and get better. No true downswing was 100% perfectly played... and that's about as absolute as one can be in the relational game of poker.

I personally haven't lost in a while; it literally can't go on like this and am looking forward to coping with the inevitable loss. I challenge myself to take it as gracefully as is within my power- just as you must challenge yourself to do so during your struggles... and as with any other skill, you get better at it every time you practice.
  • zactionzaction Red Chipper Posts: 12
    Just remember that life is a cosmic joke, nothing lasts and nothing matters. That always does the trick for me :)

Seriously, I had the same problem and it was always tied to bankroll management. It wasn't that I was playing above my roll, but my poker roll and life roll were too often combined. Strict separation of bankroll has helped the losses feel more abstract and less like paying for something and getting nothing.

Now, when I have a crushing loss, I immediately put that hand under the microscope. Was it unavoidable? Did I play it right? Then there's nothing to do but take the crappy feelings from losing, and consciously excise them. This takes a certain degree of mindfulness that can be developed through things like meditation or just reading about/studying mindfulness. It takes a lot of practice. But without working on your mindfulness you can't hope to win vs. tilt.

It's almost reassuring when I realize I made a mistake and lost. Then I have something to occupy myself. By the time I'm done studying the hand and making a mental note to plug a leak, I feel like I actually accomplished something instead of just lost a stack.

Hope that helps!
  • ArtArtBobartArtArtBobart Red Chipper Posts: 356 ✭✭
    persuadeo wrote:
    I'm planning on writing extensively on tilt and related issues in the future, but I'll give you the immediate triage for now:

1) Losing sometimes, or for a duration of some sort, from a single hand to a month of play, is not only expected, it is so normal that if you don't expect it, you haven't really accepted this truth intellectually as deeply as you think you have.

2) A downswing or even just a bad stretch is an open invitation, a happy one, an opportunity, to analyze your game and get better. No true downswing was 100% perfectly played... and that's about as absolute as one can be in the relational game of poker.

I personally haven't lost in a while; it literally can't go on like this and am looking forward to coping with the inevitable loss. I challenge myself to take it as gracefully as is within my power- just as you must challenge yourself to do so during your struggles... and as with any other skill, you get better at it every time you practice.

What is your definition of not having lost in a while? I'm a winning player, and over the last 6 months I've won 65% of my sessions. I'd love to win every one. :)

That said, I learn the most from my down sessions. I played (and ran) bad last night and will review videos covering the areas where I feel I made mistakes.
  • Rello242Rello242 Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 595 ✭✭
    I like how you were specific about how exactly you tilt. Confidence and happiness is a huge thing because it affects you mentally and that itself can be a weapon of destruction to your game.

I don't have a solution but what help me over my poker career is having a plan. Maybe this month i plan to keep going trying to focus on hours & doing what i know how to do correctly to try build up some resistance. Sometimes i go with a stop loss. Sometimes i do the exact opposite as the first suggestion and just try short sessions to try prevent my confidence from falling.

The point is i have tried alot of things and it may not help me "not tilt" but it sure helps me "manage" tilt. I have a clear goal outside of wanting that results and that urge to win and if i feel like i can do that then my confidence isn't crushed just bruised which helps me recover to my A-game faster. Confidence and happiness is one of those feelings that can keep you in a negative mindset for a period of time making recovering harder. If there is a solution for it then I'll be happy to know what it is but as far as for me i try methods to "Treat" the problem rather than looking for solutions.
    -Rello

"Its better to give than to receive, so bet more and call less"
    Check out my HUSNG Graph: Chips-Results
    Follow All the Action On My Blog: www.rello242.blogspot.com
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @art, I don't want to derail the tilt discussion by getting into that.

My point is that OP needs to expect losing periods more, which will ameliorate his bad reaction to downswings and runbad. There is no easy solution to the unhappiness of losing, and as I will end up writing, that is a good thing.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file