Pocket 10s in 3 bet pot.

Joshua KJoshua K Red Chipper Posts: 82 ✭✭
edited August 2017 in Tournament Poker Hands
Blinds 50/100

Hero has :Td:Tc (stack: 9750 and cover Villain)

Villain in LJ raises to 300 (regular $2-3-5 player; LAG style)
CO calls
Hero raises to 1500

Villain calls, CO folds

Flop: :9c:6d:4s
Pot: 3500

Flop looks good. I c- bet to 2400 to continue my story. Villain decides to come along for the call. I plan to shove if the turn seems safe, thinking Villain called me with a 9x type hand or AQ like hand.

Turn: :5d
Pot: 8300

What does hero do here?

Comments

• moishetreatsmoishetreats Red Chipper Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭
    Joshua K wrote: »
    I plan to shove if the turn seems safe, thinking Villain called me with a 9x type hand or AQ like hand.

What does hero do here?

Given your plan, if 5d isn't a safe card, then what is?
  • Joshua KJoshua K Red Chipper Posts: 82 ✭✭
    I plan to shove if the turn seems safe, thinking Villain called me with a 9x type hand or AQ like hand.

What does hero do here?

Given your plan, if 5d isn't a safe card, then what is?

I am just checking my line. I did follow my plan as suggested. How was my bet sizing throughout the hand? Was this a well thought out plan?
  • bigburge10bigburge10 Red Chipper Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
  • Jónas SJónas S Red Chipper Posts: 202 ✭✭✭
    I like the raise pre-flop, you're trying to isolate here. When both only call their ranges are somewhat capped most of the time.

I like the flop-bet, just above 2/3 pot. There's a decent chance that either villain has a piece of the board and will carry on with worse hands.

On the turn you'll have 5850 remaining and the pot is 8000, some weird two pairs and straights got there but not how many of those combos would have called pre-flop and not tried to buy the pot on the flop? There's a chance that someone has a set here but a weak top-pair is the most likely scenario and with the chips remaining and the pot at hand you just have to get it in given how the villains are playing the hand and the strength of yours.
  • NinjahNinjah Red Chipper Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭✭
    What worse hands to you think Villain has that are calling you in a 3b pot?
  • Jónas SJónas S Red Chipper Posts: 202 ✭✭✭
    Ninjah makes a good point, I must say. You can probably only get 4bet by better pre-flop so flatting makes sense in this scenario, my earlier comment was probably more aimed towards a cash-game setting, so you want to consider that but as played I don't see a problem with the action that follows.
    Thanks everyone. I felt odd about the hand since it has been my second in a while...
    Villain snap calls turn and shows :9h:5h
    For a made two pair.

I was really surprised with his call in this situation for a 3-bet pot.

I spoke with a friend and he said that I should have made a larger 3-bet (closer to 2200) and shoved flop. Do you agree?
    edited August 2017
    I spoke with a friend and he said that I should have made a larger 3-bet (closer to 2200) and shoved flop. Do you agree?

What's their reasoning for going larger and jamming the flop?

bigburge10 wrote: »

His suggestion was to get player off continuing in the pot and winning it outright or on the flop. I felt that's a weak approach and can see it is a point to attract the minimum amount of chips rather than going for the win.
  • Zero CoolZero Cool Red Chipper Posts: 272 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017

His suggestion was to get player off continuing in the pot and winning it outright or on the flop.

As Doug Hull says that's someone looking to win pots not money.
    bigburge10 wrote: »

His suggestion was to get player off continuing in the pot and winning it outright or on the flop. I felt that's a weak approach and can see it is a point to attract the minimum amount of chips rather than going for the win.

I can see the desire to just take down the pot preflop. However, if I know a player is continuing with 95s, I'll be damned if I'm going to help him fix that.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file