Why Are My Sessions Like Superbowl LI?

SeaBeavSeaBeav Red Chipper Posts: 30 ✭✭
The further along I get in my studies and the more active I am with RCP, the more I start really analyzing different aspects of my game.

I just noticed how every session of mine, and every table in that session, is just like the New England Patriots in the 2017 Superbowl LI....I absolutely TANK for the first half and then somehow leave victorious in a miraculous comeback.

As I write this I'm realizing that this is probably something I just need to study about my own game to find the cause/leak, but I'm still curious if anyone else has had any experience with this, and if so what the cause might be? Is this a common phenomenon in players, or just newbs, or just certain people, or is it just a random thing?

Could it be:
Nerves when starting? Playing too loose when my stack is bigger and then tightening up to start winning when I'm starting to run low or have to buy in once or twice more? Villains become used to/passive my opening range and start to think it's wider than it really is, so they get caught facing the nuts? *Will Farrell in Old School* "Or is it something really cool I've never heard of?"

As always, thanks for putting up with a newcomer's obsessive questions fellow Red Chippers!

Comments

• ZacShawZacShaw Red Chipper Posts: 165 ✭✭✭
    This happens to me a lot too, and some reasons I've come up with are:

1. After a few hours it's easier to exploit players because you've picked up on their frequencies and weaknesses to exploit, therefore it's more profitable... especially when the rest of the table isn't adjusting to me, which is what you hope for with the right game selection.

2. It just takes a little bit to 'get in the zone' and I find I make more subtle mistakes at the beginning of the session because my thought process isn't honed in.

The adjustment I've been making, that I think a lot of people make, is to tighten up early on and then exploit that tight table image later by playing much more aggressively. Which is the opposite of what I do online, hitting the table hard when I have no image and then exploiting that LAG image by playing more value-heavy. So who knows?
  • SeaBeavSeaBeav Red Chipper Posts: 30 ✭✭
    ZacShaw wrote: »
    This happens to me a lot too, and some reasons I've come up with are:

1. After a few hours it's easier to exploit players because you've picked up on their frequencies and weaknesses to exploit, therefore it's more profitable... especially when the rest of the table isn't adjusting to me, which is what you hope for with the right game selection.

2. It just takes a little bit to 'get in the zone' and I find I make more subtle mistakes at the beginning of the session because my thought process isn't honed in.

The adjustment I've been making, that I think a lot of people make, is to tighten up early on and then exploit that tight table image later by playing much more aggressively. Which is the opposite of what I do online, hitting the table hard when I have no image and then exploiting that LAG image by playing more value-heavy. So who knows?

I think that's what's happening to me online, just not on purpose. I hit the table way to hard and wide, people get used to a Donk/Fish/Lag image of me, then my playing naturally tightens up due to my stacks getting low and all of a sudden they're calling stations to my value hands.

Something to work on for sure. Thanks for the great insight!
  • RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭✭
    Or you could just have faced coolers.
    Or you were against good/better players, and you could come back after they left / changed table.
    Or you aren't concentrated enough at the beginning and playing /putting your money in the middle with hands you should already have fold.

If it's a regular pattern you're facing, pay attention to which hands you're losing money on, try to understand why you did lose money (hand selection mistake? calling mistake? betting mistake? bad bluff? etc.) to get what to change in the future
  • Nathan SNathan S Red Chipper Posts: 275 ✭✭
    I have the same issue. I think it just takes a loss for me to realize that I'm in the shit, and then I kick into high gear and start to play a lot better. Maybe it's that I sit at the table super confident, and then once reality hits that I'm not infallible, I start to play a lot better

Awesome to hear I'm not the only one with this leak.
    Nathan S wrote: »
    I have the same issue. I think it just takes a loss for me to realize that I'm in the shit, and then I kick into high gear and start to play a lot better. Maybe it's that I sit at the table super confident, and then once reality hits that I'm not infallible, I start to play a lot better

Awesome to hear I'm not the only one with this leak.

I really feel like that's if for me too.

Brothers in arms! hahaha

That and a combination of my table image changing throughout the session as mentioned above.
  • RCP Coach - Fausto ValdezRCP Coach - Fausto Valdez RCP Coach Posts: 859 ✭✭✭✭
    Happens to me also sometimes @SeaBeav simply put u gather more and better info when u first relax and observe the table and for whatever its worth, u dont look completely bat sht crazy so some bluffs work better
    COACHING NOW AVAILABLE HERE
    MY COACHING REVIEWS HERE

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file