Preview: Doug's new Poker quiz book.

Doug HullDoug Hull RCP Coach Posts: 1,876 -
edited June 2015 in Coaching & Commercial
Here is an interactive quiz with the kinds of problems from Pre-flop that will be in the book. A new quiz will be added for each section over time.

This book is a series of Hold'em problems that will slowly ramp up in difficulty. The text of the book will cover approximation techniques and shortcuts that can be done at the table when you need them most.

The problems build skills at every step until you are able to count combos, calculate the EV of each possible part of the Villain's range and make a decision. This is not a strategy book, but it shows you how to do the math that is essential for strategic decisions at the table when you need them.

The book is currently in progress. Here is an early preview of the first kinds of problems that will be covered.

Release date will be Summer 2015, Expected length is about 250 pages with the answer key being about 80 pages. The answer key can be read as a review so the problems will be repeated with the correct answers.
Co-founder Red Chip Poker,
Author Poker Plays You Can Use
Author Poker Workbook for Math Geeks

Comments

• ArtArtBobartArtArtBobart Red Chipper Posts: 356 ✭✭
    Thank you for including the original questions with the answers. I'm tired of books that make me constantly flip pages! Especially if it is an e-book.....
  • Doug HullDoug Hull RCP Coach Posts: 1,876 -
    Thank you for including the original questions with the answers. I'm tired of books that make me constantly flip pages! Especially if it is an e-book.....

I am glad to hear that. It artificially inflates the page count, but I think it is way more useful this way. It will be much easier for me to make the key this way also.

I am curious how this will do as an e-book. It is very heavily laden with pictures, so it will be big. I will likely have to reformat it entirely for Kindle because it does not deal well with layouts like this.
  • ihbeiserihbeiser Red Chipper Posts: 26
    I like what I see. Looking forward to it.
    Brenna wrote:
    Doug,

this book looks awesome! paperback please..........

Yes, will be paperback, the question is will it convert to kindle well. Paper back is likely first, then Kindle if it works. It is very image heavy, so kindle will be a huge file.
    Quiz two is up. Some of you may have taken the longer version of the original quiz. I broke it up after I saw it was too long.

https://redchippoker.typeform.com/to/Gum3zS
    So this reminds me of an idea I've had for a while but will give to you for free...RCP should publish a book called "Impossible Sudoku.". The joke will be that there truly is no solution for any of the puzzles in the book. :)

Just give me a free month of membership when you publish it :)
    My previous comment makes no sense now that the post about the quiz mistake is gone :)

[EDIT: Doug had deleted a comment about the mix up on the quiz, since I fixed it super quick after...]
    Quiz three is up, and it is harder than the earlier ones since the flop has redraws.
    Doug...in the third question you said 9h8h has 8 outs against 7h7T. I believe you could add about 1.5 outs for the backdoor flush. Ed did a proof of backdoor flush and straight outs in his *limit* book, small stakes hold'em.

Though to to be totally accurate, we are dead to Th or heart on river that pairs the turn.
    Doug...in the third question you said 9h8h has 8 outs against 7h7T. I believe you could add about 1.5 outs for the backdoor flush. Ed did a proof of backdoor flush and straight outs in his *limit* book, small stakes hold'em.

Though to to be totally accurate, we are dead to Th or heart on river that pairs the turn.

Art,

I have a different method for accounting for backdoor draws in the book. That one was tricky because there was a backdoor flush draw and a redraw for the trips.

The mental math I advocate in the book sounds something like this:

I have 8 clean outs. Rule of Four says to double to 16 then again to 32. I have 4% bonus for the backdoor bringing me to 36%. I am against trips, so I need to give back 30% of my total equity. 10% of 36% is 3.5% so tripled that is 10.5% off of my original 36%. That drops me to just under 26%.

Actual answer: 28%

Not bad, in your head, at the tables...

I show how to do the math and approximations in your head. Some of the approximations techniques are just math approximations, some ar poker approximations.

We just got with 2% in our head, if you can get plus or minus 5% at the tables, you are a monster.
    https://redchippoker.typeform.com/to/GuNT5Y

The next quiz is much more practical, putting together lots of skills. Do you make the call on the turn? Only two people got perfect on the last quiz, most barely cracked 50%.
    Help me choose a cover:

Vote in this link!

http://99designs.com/book-cover-design/vote-plnbib
  • hellohellokittyhellohellokitty Red Chipper Posts: 52 ✭✭
    Those are some great looking covers. Just change the word "Geeks" to "Nerds" and you really have something! ;)
  • Morgan_BMorgan_B Red Chipper Posts: 262 ✭✭
    I got confused on quiz 3, two questions said on the "turn" but there was no turn card. Maybe I had a brain fart but you may want to double check if there's any typos.

I agree with changing the word "Geeks", it might mislead people into thinking the math is more complex than it really is. Something like "Math Workbook for Poker" or "Poker Math Workbook (For Everyone)" may appeal to more people... just my 2 cents. Keep up the good work!
    Oops. Typos, I just copied the prior quiz. Fixed....
    Book is released!

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1162

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji