BB checks, hero checks, everyone else checks around
Turn :5d
BB checks, hero bets $55
Folds to button who calls, BB folds
Heads up $185
River :Td
Hero checks, villain bets $65
Hero calls, villain shows :Ad:3d, hero mucks

The follies of limping (ever) and of playing small pocket pairs out of position so short aside; I’m wondering how I could have played this hand differently. A half pot bet out on the flop might have been a better choice but with so many people in and a flop that invites a barrel so clearly, I couldn't believe my eyes when it checked through. I was completely planning to check-shove. Target hands on the turn would have been draws, weak Q’s, possibly slow played flopped (or turned) 2-pair or weaker sets. The river card is sort of a nightmare as J-9 got there and, obviously, diamonds. Am I missing value in that spot by checking the river? I guess I like my call on the river as my hand is a bit more than a bluff catcher, Q-10 for example.

Comments

• persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All the other stuff aside, why would you want to let someone do the betting on the flop? Your check raise will look strong and a flat may kill action on the runout. Just lead, baby.
  • Doug HullDoug Hull RCP Coach Posts: 1,867 -
    [video]

TLDW: Don't limp pre, set mining was marginal at this stack depth. Bet the flop. Try not to get runner-runnered! :)
    Co-founder Red Chip Poker,
    Author Poker Plays You Can Use
    Author Poker Workbook for Math Geeks
  • jbruelsjbruels Red Chipper Posts: 134 ✭✭
    That's pretty much what I thought. I suppose there's as much chance of original raiser LAG guy going crazy on me as there was of a check through, so why not just bet out.
  • Christian SotoChristian Soto RCP Coach Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah whatever... I actually think you can Lead OR Check-Call/Lead which I like better.

The CR is kinda not exciting because of the board texture.

But once it checks through, I think you should try and go for the CR on Turn :-)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file