The more I learn, the more painful live poker gets.

Nathan SNathan S Red Chipper Posts: 208 ✭✭
edited August 12 in Online Poker Hands
Clickbait title, but I played a hand last night that absolutely blew me away.

1/2 NL
I have maybe 550 in front of me.

I'm dealt AKo in the BB

My image is a LAG. Its hard to shake me off early, if I have a glimpse of hope I'm continuing because people have no idea what they're doing past the flop so I can capitalize on that.

Utg opens to 10, hj calls, but calls, SB calls. I 3bet to 50. All but Button folds. Button calls.

A bit of a nightmare flop hits. JJ9 with 2 clubs. I raise to 75 and he goes all in. My stack is a wee bit larger than his. We are both very deep.

I tank. Things get very quiet. I don't see him with a 9 because who calls a 50 dollar 3bet with 9x. 99 I get, but very unlikely.. The jack though. That's what was concerning me. The club draw as well. Ugh. Such a gross spot, but considering his image of me, I came to the conclusion that he thought I was just trying to steal and now I was just trying to buy my way out.

I call.

He flips over 8c6c

This is absurd to me. I don't get why anyone would ever call a massive threeb with that hand, but he did. I'm standing there in disbelief and I'm like "what? Why would you even get this far?"

He mumbles that he thought I was bluffing or something like that.

J comes out, 4h comes out

I take down the 1100+ pot, dude walks away, and I decide to end my (long) session there
Tagged:

Comments

• CruelPaiMeiCruelPaiMei Red Chipper Posts: 131 ✭✭
    edited August 12
    I don't completely hate his PF call... your described image, both deep stacked, his position, the dead $, and the SB is highly unlikely to 4 bet . On the flop, looks like he just decided to hit the eject button.

As an observer, I'd be stunned that you two got it in here. You shouldn't have left the table as you would be getting a ton of action after this hand!
  • DeezNutsDeezNuts Red Chipper Posts: 122 ✭✭
    edited August 12
    He called pf cause you made it to small and button can call with almost everything profitably. Now V flop play is very questionable and so is ur call. You have little equity and the best you could hope for is for V to have a FD like he did and hope ur A high is good.
    No offense but This hand was only painful because you made it painful
    If you didn't put him on :8c :6c I'm curious as to what range you put him on. This flop hits his range more anyways
  • Nathan SNathan S Red Chipper Posts: 208 ✭✭
    I don't completely hate his PF call... your described image, both deep stacked, his position, the dead $, and the SB is highly unlikely to 4 bet . On the flop, looks like he just decided to hit the eject button.

As an observer, I'd be stunned that you two got it in here. You shouldn't have left the table as you would be getting a ton of action after this hand!

I'd never call a three bet with suited baby gappers. Post-Flop I get it. Eject button is completely accurate, but at the end of the day that's exactly how I viewed it which is why I called.
    DeezNuts wrote: »
    If you didn't put him on :8c :6c I'm curious as to what range you put him on. This flop hits his range more anyways

As I mentioned, I didn't put him on 86s exactly, but I did end up believing that he was on the draw.
    edited August 12
    Nathan S wrote: »

I'd never call a three bet with suited baby gappers. Post-Flop I get it. Eject button is completely accurate, but at the end of the day that's exactly how I viewed it which is why I called.

Yeah to a normal 3 bet you should fold with suited baby gappers but with so much dead money in this spot and being on the button, V correctly called pre flop. And V hitting the "eject button" is not accurate actually. You are going to lose more times than not here. He can easily have a J, 9 FD, SD and some pocket pair. Everything else he folds unless he is a complete maniac. Do you honestly think he is shoving all in with air? No, V has something. Hero blocks KQ but what else do you block? Really nothing. Especially without a club. Yeah his shove is loose but not all that surprising.
    edited August 12
    @Nathan S Seriously if you don't think v could have :8c :6c here then what do you put him on pre? Of those what hands do you beat and/or have more equity than?
    What's is the worst hand V could have If 86s is to loose and is folding? Even the hands slightly better beat you. 98, T9, J9, JT.
    Nathan S wrote: »
    DeezNuts wrote: »

As I mentioned, I didn't put him on 86s exactly, but I did end up believing that he was on the draw.

What made you believe he was on a draw though? He can have more than just a draw.
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Nicky SNicky S Red Chipper Posts: 21 ✭✭

I am just wondering why he can expect to have a lot of action coming his way after this hand. I still have a lot to learn about table dynamics and this seems like good information which I need to file away.
  • mdw72mdw72 Red Chipper Posts: 130 ✭✭
    What are you complaining about? You 3bet with the best hand and got a call from a worse hand, faded a club draw, and won with Ace high. I'm not understand your frustration. You scooped a 1100 pot in 1-2. Players at 1-2 will call all sorts of hands. I honestly question your call of his shove a bit. He can have TT, QQ, T9, J9, plus various club draws that are stronger than 86. You essentially have Ace high and hope an over that isn't a club comes along. Which only leaves you 4 cards to make a "safe" top pair.. Pre flop you are only 60/40 and on the flop shove you are flipping with worst of it. You got lucky he didn't hit IMO.

86 suited is weak hand to be calling a 3 bet with but he had the button and except for the SB was probably closing the action pre flop. Others may call this 3 bet with bigger one gappers but getting called by suited one gappers isn't out of the ordinary. Sorry if I am harsh.
    I
    Nicky S wrote: »

I am just wondering why he can expect to have a lot of action coming his way after this hand. I still have a lot to learn about table dynamics and this seems like good information which I need to file away.

Because winning an 1100 pot in 1/2 with ace high is dizzying.
    mdw72 wrote: »
    What are you complaining about? You 3bet with the best hand and got a call from a worse hand, faded a club draw, and won with Ace high. I'm not understand your frustration. You scooped a 1100 pot in 1-2. Players at 1-2 will call all sorts of hands. I honestly question your call of his shove a bit. He can have TT, QQ, T9, J9, plus various club draws that are stronger than 86. You essentially have Ace high and hope an over that isn't a club comes along. Which only leaves you 4 cards to make a "safe" top pair.. Pre flop you are only 60/40 and on the flop shove you are flipping with worst of it. You got lucky he didn't hit IMO.

86 suited is weak hand to be calling a 3 bet with but he had the button and except for the SB was probably closing the action pre flop. Others may call this 3 bet with bigger one gappers but getting called by suited one gappers isn't out of the ordinary. Sorry if I am harsh.

I was ahead slightly after the flop, by 2% iirc.
  • CruelPaiMeiCruelPaiMei Red Chipper Posts: 131 ✭✭

Nicky S wrote: »

Hey @Nicky S ... if opponents see a player make a stunningly loose call for a huge pot, they will immediately be itching to play a pot with him in an attempt to double up through his loose play. These opponents will be willing to show down weak hands (2nd and 3rd pairs, or top pairs with weak kickers). They will also be more willing to play poor drawing hands. Now if the player tightens up and gets involved with some good made hands, he can take advantage of opponents coming at him with weaker holdings. The player can get away with this until his opponents begin to readjust.

Hopefully this makes sense. There are many on this forum that could probably explain this better, but wanted to make sure you got some feedback here.
  • bigburge10bigburge10 Red Chipper Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭✭
    Pretty tough call, but assuming villain is bluff heavy here, you may find enough equity for a call. The difficult part in finding enough equity is that villain must bluff with nearly every draw in their range. Are they bluffing that often? If they are jamming with all of their J's, then finding enough bluffs becomes very difficult. I do think you correctly discounted the J's in their range, but the problem is that even when they have a few, which could be possible given the board texture (and depending on the player type), we still need to find a bunch of bluffs--which may not be possible given this is a 3 bet pot and V's range should condense somewhat. What I mean by that is this player may have all of the broadway J hands, but not hands like K2cc, Q2cc, which would be needed to find enough bluffs for the call.

Glad to see you held up! It could have went either way, but someone has to win the flip; and who better to win than a RCP member?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file