Looking for a little help starting out growing my bankroll!

Andrew AAndrew A Red Chipper Posts: 5 ✭✭
I just started back up online playing poker. I played in college but I didn't take it seriously and go about trying to grow a bankroll properly! I have about $50 and I just want some help picking a lane wether its cash or sit n goes or MTT's and start studying and getting better! I don't expect to make bunch of money right away but just looking for a place to start and grow. Any tutorials, videos, books, etc! ( I have read some a Harrington book). Any advice would be great!

Best Answer

Answers

• DeezNutsDeezNuts Red Chipper Posts: 122 ✭✭
    Twitch.
    Not sure if Harrington book would be suffice for the type of style that's played now a days.
  • Andrew AAndrew A Red Chipper Posts: 5 ✭✭
    What other books or ways to learn would you guys recommend? I am playing the lowest stakes due to bankroll so I feel like some material is too advanced for the way my opponents play? They might not recognize a value bet or take a 3 /4 bet seriously !
  • Nathan SNathan S Red Chipper Posts: 275 ✭✭
    Red Chips 1/2 NL course is nice. Cheap one time fee for hours of videos that are informative and not boring.

If your opponents don't recognize a value bet then I'd say that's a good thing. The whole "respect your bets" thing is a dumb meme. People fold too much in micros of anything. I definitely recommend not playing the lowest stakes though, go a step or two up. 10NL is good.

It has less multitabling grinders, and more people looking to actually play for fun while getting a decent thrill.
  • jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To build a bankroll I would probably play SNGs over MTTs, since they're a lot shorter timewise. Especially if you play the turbos (which some people complain is just rolling the dice, but obviously in any game where decisions are made based on skill, that's not true - it's just different skill that what they know.) Moshman wrote a pretty good book on SNGs.
  • Adam WheelerAdam Wheeler Red Chipper Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Nowaday's SNG's are infested with bots which make it difficult to beat. Not sure if it's the best variant to grow a bankroll.
  • jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Admittedly I haven't played online SNGs in awhile, but I'm saddened to hear that.
  • CarrieCarrie Red Chipper Posts: 71 ✭✭
    Nowaday's SNG's are infested with bots which make it difficult to beat. Not sure if it's the best variant to grow a bankroll.

Can you explain exactly what a bot is? Is it a human or a computer? How do they play?
  • LeChiffreLeChiffre NetherlandsRed Chipper Posts: 556 ✭✭✭
    Nathan S wrote: »
    I definitely recommend not playing the lowest stakes though, go a step or two up. 10NL is good.

Have to disagree here. With a bankroll of $50 playing 10NL is IMO not a good idea. I'd really start with 2NL and grind your way up to $70-$80 before you can take shots at 5NL and only start taking shots at 10NL when you're bankrolled up around $150.

Not only will you avoid going broke, but you will also learn a ton and get a lot of experience in the process.
    Luuk v wrote: »
    I definitely recommend not playing the lowest stakes though, go a step or two up. 10NL is good.

Have to disagree here. With a bankroll of $50 playing 10NL is IMO not a good idea. I'd really start with 2NL and grind your way up to $70-$80 before you can take shots at 5NL and only start taking shots at 10NL when you're bankrolled up around $150.

Not only will you avoid going broke, but you will also learn a ton and get a lot of experience in the process.

What site do you play on? I find that 5NL and 10NL are much softer than 2NL. 2NL is filled with nits, even in 6-max. Typically filled with multi tables playing tight passive. In the steps above that the opponents are looser, the stakes are still small, and it's not like OP hasn't played before.

What site do you play on? I find that 5NL and 10NL are much softer than 2NL. 2NL is filled with nits, even in 6-max. Typically filled with multi tables playing tight passive. In the steps above that the opponents are looser, the stakes are still small, and it's not like OP hasn't played before.

That is not true.

That is not true.

I am not presenting it as fact, it's just what I have seen in my database. I've talked to other people who have shared the same sentiment. Just my 2c. Its why I am asking what site people are using.
    edited August 2017
    To have played NL2 / NL5 / NL10 on one of the hardest if not the hardest site, considering the level of knowledge of the players and the structure of the rake, I can surely give you my appreciation of the experience in relation with the different micro limits.

The thing to consider in the first place is that the player who makes his first steps at Poker online will in the majority of cases do it at the smallest available limits. The reasons are many and easy to understand. That is also why the NL2 is easily beatable with a strategy that is based on solid foundations but still very simple. Money has no consequences, money pressure does not exist. Losing 5 buy-ins at the NL2 have very little consequence. When you put all these factors together, it's easy to understand why NL2, no matter the site you're playing on, is a real circus, where you can see performances more crazy than the others.

On the other hand, several players with the desire to progress and climb the levels, passes through NL2 and the next logical step in the vast majority of cases is to play NL5. That's why the gap between the NL2 and the NL5 is very different. At NL5, there are already players with enough knowledge about crucial concepts of poker. Very little at NL2. What worked with both hands attached in the back at NL2, now asks us to detach one at NL5. The preflop ranges are already better built, players 3B and 4B with better/more logical ranges. At NL5, for the local convenience store cashiers, a 10-buy-ins swing represents one day of working at minimum wage after-tax in Quebec (where I live). The money begins to have some weight.

For those who stay and pass through the NL5, at this point they have gained considerable experience in terms of mechanical practice and emotional management. If they have passed these 2 steps, it is safe to bet that they have begun to work on their game. At NL10, Sunday players are already scarcer, and regs already effectively replicate the strategy they learned on the net.

So I think it makes sense to come to the conclusion that the NL2 is the easiest level to beat and by several miles. Beginning at this level assures us, with a basic but solid knowledge, to quickly build a bankroll to attack NL5 and / or NL10 as fast as possible.
    edited August 2017

Can't really speak from experience here as I haven't played much 10NL. Though I find that even on PokerStars the full-ring 2NL and 5NL games are soft, especially in the weekend. Have seen tremendous softness on 888, too.

Gotta agree with @Adam Wheeler here.
  • Steve WSteve W Red Chipper Posts: 43 ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    I would suggest this little chart. Hope it helps. This is for Online cash games and also provides a withdrawal method. I am not a fan of just building a roll just to build a roll. i really like the best of both worlds where it provides the flexibility of withdrawing funds from the roll and also moving up in stakes as you continue to get better.

I wish there was a live version of this same chart. this chart has traveled around for years and years in forums everywhere.

Of course the first couple of levels will be the hardest but easiest and usually the just from 10nl to 25nl is going to be the most difficult as there are more thinking players will show up on the 10nl and eventually into the 25nl but it's still doable in the games.

xro4oqwf7zt1.gif
    edited April 2018
    Steve W wrote: »
    I would suggest this little chart. Hope it helps. This is for Online cash games and also provides a withdrawal method. I am not a fan of just building a roll just to build a roll. i really like the best of both worlds where it provides the flexibility of withdrawing funds from the roll and also moving up in stakes as you continue to get better.

I wish there was a live version of this same chart. this chart has traveled around for years and years in forums everywhere.

Of course the first couple of levels will be the hardest but easiest and usually the just from 10nl to 25nl is going to be the most difficult as there are more thinking players will show up on the 10nl and eventually into the 25nl but it's still doable in the games.

xro4oqwf7zt1.gif

Nice graph, first time I'm seeing it. What do the cashouts mean though (the numbers in top left and the blue ones at every level)?

Edit: got it :)
    The top left is when you reach the bankroll amount. For example say you reach 250 in the roll, you withdraw 62.00. It will set you back to 198 but you still play the same stakes.

The blue in the step is total amount per stack that you’d end up withdrawing from that step. If you add up your withdrawal on the top left of the entire stack, it should match the step.

For exp. NL2 the blue is 125. On the top left, the amounts 31,31,31,32 add up to the same, 125.

For the longest time playing poker, I had always struggled withdrawing my poker funds but love this. It literally feels like I get paid to play poker and isn’t it the reason why we play anyway? I mean if you never withdraw playing poker then why you play in the first place. Reward yourself with money while still moving up in stakes.
  • kenaceskenaces Red Chipper Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭✭
    xro4oqwf7zt1.gif

Such a good graphic that I haven't seen in long time.

I had this as my screen's background ~10 years ago!
    Carrie wrote: »
    Can you explain exactly what a bot is? Is it a human or a computer? How do they play?

On sites with lax security, computer assisted bots play perfect shove/call/fold ranges for SnGs and probably play really well to perfectly post-flop (it's easy for computers to quickly model small stack situations).

At $10/20 HU online cash games with lax security, you'll face solvers using multiple bet sizes on every street that allegedly top 10 players in the world won't play, even if they think they can find a small edge.

One thing that I will add is bots don’t tilt.
    kenaces wrote: »
    xro4oqwf7zt1.gif

Such a good graphic that I haven't seen in long time.

I had this as my screen's background ~10 years ago!

This pretty much solved my issues with bankroll management. It hits all areas of where everyone would be in there bankroll. It may look a bit different for folks like Fedor Holtz.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file