Building ranges post-flop

Jdsdog10Jdsdog10 Red Chipper Posts: 16 ✭✭
I am working on building ranges post-flop, specifically c-bet ranges. I haven't read Janda's Applications of No'Limit, but I intend to soon. I am familiar with the concept of having a frequency of 60-70% on average, but am trying figure out what hands to put in this range.
For instance, say it is folded to hero in the CO, hero raises to 3bb and is only called by the BB.
Flop comes Q83 rainbow.
Villain checks.
Assuming Hero's preflop range matches the range listed in Miller's the Course (22+,43s+,53s+,Q9s,K7s+,A2s+,KJo+,ATo+), which hands should be c-bet?

I'm hoping to get input from other's into how to pick hands to c-bet and to check back. This could also be in the form of redirecting me to another thread (I am new).
Is this concept and similar ones covered in Janda's Applications?
If so, I've read that Miller's 1% is kind of a lighter version of Janda's Applications; is Miller's 1% a better starting point?

Comments

• kageykagey Red Chipper, KINGOFTAGS Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're a Red Chip subscriber - Doug Hull did a series of 5 videos called "Range Construction" that goes over the goal of playing a "balanced" range on every street (e.g., Constructing Ranges #2)

Essentially, what's recommended in Miller's 1% is that you have 2 bluffs for every 1 value hand on the flop; a 1 to 1 ratio on the turn; and a 2 value hands to 1 bluff hand on the river.

The more you do this - the more you're going to realize that you can't use generic terms like "rainbow" any more. If the Q is the :Qc - then you may want to continue with your :AC::XC: on the flop as part of your "bluffs" that have backdoor equity (meaning you have a slim chance of making a flush by the river).

Miller's 1% book also goes over the basic formulas and several examples. To learn more, I suggest investing into a subscription to RCP or the book.
  • RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭✭
    @Josh S : @kagey gives you great advises, I can only support them

In addition, don't forget to adapt your c-betting range to the situation of your specific hand, depending mostly on : your table image, Villain's profile, Villain's and Hero's ranges, table dynamic and SPR.
  • bigburge10bigburge10 Red Chipper Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭✭
    There is far more to consider then your range and the board. Think about other factors such as image, opponent tendencies/playing styles, opponent's range, stack sizes, etc. Once you consider these types of factors, developing ranges becomes more clear.
  • Jdsdog10Jdsdog10 Red Chipper Posts: 16 ✭✭
    Thanks for the advice. I have been stalling on getting the pro membership because I have a bunch of other material that I've purchased that I've not yet consumed, and feel like I should use those resources first. But after @kagey reccomended the Doug Hull series, I think I am going to have to subscribe soon.

@Red @bigburge10 I definitely am considering those factors when I am betting. But referencing the example above, assuming villain plays somewhat fit or fold on the flop (like most of my player pool), I end up betting half-pot with almost all of my range knowing that villain will fold way more than 33%. But this leaves me tightening up my turn range seemingly too much (unless scare card or improved draw card comes) knowing that I'm not generating many folds from villain's continuing range of tp+. So I guess this is more of a question of fixing the gap between my flop and turn barrels. I guess, then again, this doesn't matter very much to a player playing fit or fold on the flop.
  • RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭✭
    @Josh S it's not only a question of gap between flop bet and turn bet. Everything has to be taken as a whole. You need a strategy fit for each Villain and situation. I tried to put it in some words but it creates a monstrous and indigestible reply because of all factor you've to take in account.

The best is to focus on bases first. Play a solid ABC poker. Build a good preflop strategy (mostly which range you play) and then go for value. Is way more important than trying to balance your C-Betting range.

Also
    Josh S wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice. I have been stalling on getting the pro membership because I have a bunch of other material that I've purchased that I've not yet consumed, and feel like I should use those resources first.
    You have to eat and digest your first material first before continuing adding more books on your shelves and strategy in your poker game.
    Don't take me wrong: RCP Pro is a good investment for new, 1/2$ and 2/5 players. Just take your time to improve your game.

Also when you are student at poker, there are also a lot of free and good quality stuff on internet (like ThePokerBank's, Jonathan Little's or ThePokerGuys' videos on Youtube ).

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file