Turning the boat late in a tourney w/ the small stack

Jeffrey OJeffrey O Red Chipper Posts: 38 ✭✭
Thanks everyone for your input here...
$150 buy-in, 42 entrants, down to 9, 1st-6th pay

$1000/$2000 $400 ante
I'm in the BB
Everyone folds to the button, he calls. SB folds.
Check my cards (6h,3c) Monster...
-My info/thinking at this point is, 1# the button is nitty/lag-ish. He had not shown a hand in over an hour #2 I'm out of position and heads up if I raise and he calls. If I raise and he comes over the top, I can not call..... I check my BB

Flop 3h,3d,10d
-I'll be honest, I'm kind of in shock, I'd been card dead for awhile. Trying to be a little trappy, I check... button checks

Turn 6d
-wow filled up, flush draw on the board... I'm still unsure how to play this, I don't think he made his hand at this point and I'm not sure there's any EV for him in calling a bet.. I check, he checks

River Ad
-Flush made it, phew.. I hoped he was holding a reasonable diamond

I bet $4400 into $7600, after thinking for a min, he calls w/ the Qd

Where else could I have extracted additional chips here?

Comments

• SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 4,069 -
    A lot of your flop and turn commentary is based around your own hand strength, rather than thinking about your opponent's range and the kinds of mistakes he is likely to make.

If you were to bet the flop, how often do you think V continues?
    If the flop goes check/check, how often do you think V continues to a turn bet?
    📑 Grab my custom poker spreadsheet pack right now.
    📘 Start the Preflop & Math Poker Workbook today.
  • Jeffrey OJeffrey O Red Chipper Posts: 38 ✭✭
    I didn't really range him and I didn't know what to put him on, he'd been playing very TAG from what I could tell.

I figured b/c he's on the BU he's pretty wide having myself and the SB covered and could afford to see a flop or fold if he doesn't make a hand.

Having read a little more about hand ranges and thinking about this hand and different lines I could have taken... I'd say it was possible he was 22+ and J10o+, maybe 910s/89s would have been in his range too. If I'm thinking in those terms, he would have possibly got a piece of the flop and maybe called a 1/4-1/3 pot sized bet.

I certainly didn't give him this wide of a range, or any really, in the middle of the hand. I just didn't want to bust out and when I turned the boat.... well I had no idea what to do there to extract the maximum amount of chips.

To answer your questions;
    I think he fold 70% of the time to a flop bet if he doesn't get any of it
    I think he calls 60% or more of the time to a check/check turn bet (as long as I don't over bet the pot)

• SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 4,069 -
    Then bet turn for sure =)
    📑 Grab my custom poker spreadsheet pack right now.
    📘 Start the Preflop & Math Poker Workbook today.
  • Jeffrey OJeffrey O Red Chipper Posts: 38 ✭✭
    appreciate the feedback

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file