I played terrible

CASEY MCASEY M Red Chipper Posts: 168 ✭✭
$1M guarantee Legends of Poker Event.
$260 buyin for 260bb. 25min levels.

All I can is that I played horrendous. Ive been studying a lot and playing well at the local card room but I completely fell into old bad habits. For me, these old habits are just being too damn nitty.

I was limping and folding pre with hands that are in my pf raising range and going into call down mode with TPTK oop.

It was clear to everyone at the table that I was nitting it up.

I even made the amazing mistake of tossing in the wrong chips with AA utg... I meant to make a 2.75x raise but made it 5.5x

I ended up getting moved to a seat to Men Nguyens right and just got destroyed.

Ive played in tournies up to $500 buy in. Not sure why I played so poorly but it was obvious that I was out of my element.

Looks like its time to get back on the mental game piece.

Comments

• Zero CoolZero Cool Red Chipper Posts: 272 ✭✭✭
    CASEY M wrote: »
    All I can is that I played horrendous. Ive been studying a lot and playing well at the local card room but I completely fell into old bad habits. For me, these old habits are just being too damn nitty.

I was limping and folding pre with hands that are in my pf raising range and going into call down mode with TPTK oop.

Sounds like you were being super passive not nitty. A nit doesn't usually call down with TPTK. I would recommend a limping cleanse and go without limping for the next 3 months.
  • CASEY MCASEY M Red Chipper Posts: 168 ✭✭
    Great point... I was super passive.
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Based on your kj hand (commenters actually missed the worst part of that one) and your phrasing here i would not be worried about your mental game and instead focus on hand reading logic.

Suddenly limping when you don't normally do so, describing yourself with mushy terms such as "nitty" or "passive," or falling into pot control lines means you don't have much of a constructed strategy. Meditating isn't going to change that.

The good news is that if you've been studying a lot it means your game is in flux. Many players do their worst in these periods until the learning is fortified and practiced. Why not play smaller events while you improve?
    This is really good to hear... Im not tilty or easily frustrated and it is absolutely spot on that I do not have a solid strategy.
    When I left the tournament I was just asking myself wtf happened? I wasnt angry or anything just utterly confused.

Im drpping down to 1-2 tournaments a week at a much lower buyin and upping my study time and developing a strategy. Going over the MTT crash course again and possibly purchasing the hand reading lab

Can you share your thoughts on the KJ hand, Persuadeo?
  • ZazouZazou Red Chipper Posts: 93 ✭✭
    Im not tilty or easily frustrated
    Fear is part of the mental issue catalogue as well. Do you limp because you believe it's the correct thing to do or because you're scared to raise?

Zazou H wrote: »
    Im not tilty or easily frustrated
    Fear is part of the mental issue catalogue as well. Do you limp because you believe it's the correct thing to do or because you're scared to raise?

Honestly I think I was limping because I started to just go with the flow of the prior limpers. And then would play weak/passive probably out of fear due to not having a solid strategy.

A few days before this tournament I started adjusting my ranges and did not finish those adjustments when I went to play on Sunday.

Like I was saying, my play on Sunday was how I played years and years ago, not at all like Ive been playing for a long time. Its like I defaulted to my first year of poker.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file