Is 2 pr good enough to put tourney life on the line?

SullySully Red Chipper Posts: 780 ✭✭✭
6 hours in
140 players left
Last 30 players bag for day 2 worth about $1,500
Avg chip stack approx 47,000

blinds 800/1600
antes 200 x 9 players

UTG + 2 (40,000) opens for $3500
BU (100,000) calls
Hero in BB (50,000) calls with :9d:6s Hero had been playing pretty snug from the blinds but elected to call getting approx 6-1 and thought WTF why not? Maybe catch lightning in a bottle
pot 13100

Flop: :Qh:9c:6d Hello

Hero check
UTG +2 bets 4000
BU calls
Hero raises18000
Fold
BU thinks and calls

Turn :8c

Hero all in
BU snap call shows :Tc:Jc

This is first tournament I've played in a year. Probably 4 tourneys in last 3 years
So I was like, well sh*t happens, I thought I played it fine

But my question is: should I be thinking more conservative?
I mean as soon as flop comes I'm thinking I'm most likely going to the mat with this board but maybe I'm supposed to pot control.

Any thoughts from tourney regulars appreciated

Comments

• NYCRyNYCRy Red Chipper Posts: 336 ✭✭✭
  • tripletiretripletire Red Chipper Posts: 323 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    You're at a bit of an awkward stack depth on the flop, when you check raise you've put in half of your stack already and have no options on the turn anyways, so I recommend check/shoving flop or exploring what you're trying to protect from and seeing if it's worth check/calling or check/raising smaller and giving yourself more maneuverability on the turn. The flop sizing I believe is your only real mistake in this hand.
    Ryan A wrote: »
    Fold pre

It'd be a lot cooler if you could expand your thought process in your post more than this. I disagree though, and have had long discussions in other threads I can link to about this exact spot completing with odds in the BB.
  • AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with folding pre because stack depth is only 31bb effective so you should have a tighter calling range oop and a wider stealing range or opening range in general. Maybe calling a min raise at 60k+ which is around 40bb.

Postflop looks good.
  • NYCRyNYCRy Red Chipper Posts: 336 ✭✭✭

Ryan A wrote: »
    Fold pre

It'd be a lot cooler if you could expand your thought process in your post more than this. I disagree though, and have had long discussions in other threads I can link to about this exact spot completing with odds in the BB.[/quote]

I would fold preflop because 96 offsuit is a bad hand. Its just not in my range almost ever even against a steal. As Austin said, our stack depth is vulnerable here and you'd have to have some real solid info on villains that you could outplay them postflop, which is going to be quite hard considering you're out of position. To me in this situation it looks like we're basically calling for "pot odds" hoping to hit a flop. Which usually isn't a formula for winning poker. With 30bbs you have so much time left to find better spots rather than willingly putting your tourney life on 96off. See now OP is gonna think I'm a jerk bc you made me explain haha. But also agree that once you play it, after the flop you have to go with it no matter what

• AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are spots where you do flat terrible hands vs min raise such as K2o or Q7o which are trash hands as well.

I just dont think the stack depth, position, and being multiway vs a tighter opening range is best for this hand. Maybe if raise was from CO rfi or BU. I think 96s would be a call and maybe 97o, but its just a learning experience as most players are not up to date with these wide ranges. People are just "tight is right" and play top 10-25% hands and fold everything else.

Im learning these wider ranges as well.
  • Lisandro LLisandro L Red Chipper Posts: 10 ✭✭
    Maybe being more cautios is a good idea in this case!
  • kageykagey Red Chipper, KINGOFTAGS Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    defending is correct tournament strategy.

but it seems to me that you're thought of check/raising was to take down the pot and "protect" your hand.... which I find flawed.

whenever I see Q9 or T7 or KT - I immediately target JT, 89 and QJ for value because these seem to be hands we see a lot of Vs play with.

the flop is sort of "dynamic"
    there are two "drawing" hands here: JT and 78.
    and V can have Q9, a set of 6s or 9s... which crush us
    shoving the turn is spew. you're either WA or WB.

with two cards to come... I'm not putting in more chips than necessary on the flop.
    I've actually seen a lot of "tourney pros" simply smooth call bets and make their "play" on the river (during WSOP)

building a pot from oop rarely ends well.
    I might have led out on the flop and checked the turn... depending on opponent.
    or simple check/called.
    with UTG+2 driving the action... why take the lead?
    you're in the best "relative" position.
    you get to see what everybody will do before you have to act.
    check/call. and see what folks do on the turn.

ez peasy

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file