AK against flush draw and AQ

ihbeiserihbeiser Red Chipper Posts: 26
edited April 2015 in Live Poker Hands
1/3 NLH 10 players. $150 effective stacks. Button (LAG) and SB (loose calling station), BB and UTG (weak/tight and ABC). Button straddles $6. SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls. Folds to me in MP with :Ac:Kd . Raise to $35. Button Calls, SB, BB and UTG also Call. Pot ($133 after rake). Wasn't expecting all those calls based on prior table play and I'd been fairly quiet for a while. Thought there was a good chance of just stealing the $24 with my open.
Flop comes :Ah:5s:8s .
UTG makes a small donk bet of $15 and gets called by the other 2 players. Based on their pre and post flop action, pretty confident I'm up against flush draw and weaker Aces. I go all in for $115 and get called by UTG with
:9s:4s and UTG with :Ad:Qh .
No more betting. 3 players in with pot $478.

According to equity calculator I am about 52% vs the flush draw and the AQ. ev= (.52x328)-(.48x150) = $98

Of course in this case, the :Ks came on the river and the :9s:4s donk made his flush. Nonetheless, based on the ev, if I calculated it correctly, this should be a fist pump situation and I should hope to have these players and this situation repeatedly, right? or would you have done something differently?

Comments

• Skors3Skors3 Red Chipper Posts: 669 ✭✭✭
    I think you should have made the pre flop raise a bit bigger. Maybe $45.

Aside from that I think I you played it correctly. It stinks that the :Ks hit but, as they say, you want that guy at your table. Hopefully you had another bullet to buy-in with and get your money back.
  • Ed MillerEd Miller RCP Coach Posts: 330
    Yes, you have a huge edge with this action and these hands from your opponents... you're going to lose half the time, but the half of the time you win, you will more than triple your money.
  • ivandurstivandurst Red Chipper Posts: 124 ✭✭
    Skors3 wrote:
    I think you should have made the pre flop raise a bit bigger. Maybe $45.

Agreed, but not a big issue, esp. if you're expecting more limp/folds than you actually got based on table dynamic.

And you don't need an equity calculator when you're all in with the best hand - it's always +EV :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file