Splitting Your Range as a Short Stack

eisen009eisen009 Red Chipper Posts: 14 ✭✭
I found this video and the homework very useful. Attached are my answers to the homework. As mentioned at the end, as far as whether or not there is a better way to play from the BB, I think it will be more profitable to either shove a polarized range and flat the middle strength hands that play well post flop. Or 3bet a polarized range, planning to 4B all in with the top and folding the bluffs and again flatting the middle strength hands that play well post flop. I think this would require CREV to evaluate but if there is a good way to do this in HRC, I would love to know the best way to do so. ?Gareth

Comments

• GazelligGazellig RCP Coach Posts: 74 ✭✭
    You did a great job here, Lara and props to you for submitting the homework. If I could give out gold stars, you'd get three! All of your work looks spot on - to further your understanding of these spots you could look into which hands you can now raise/fold to balance out those where you're raise/calling.

You noticed through your work that by widening our raise/call range and essentially condensing our shoving range, a lot of hands suddenly became unprofitable and our opponents' calling ranges widen significantly. Those hands that still look playable like K9s could suddenly become raise/folds instead.

As another extension, you could check the calling ranges of your opponents to see if they look realistic in the games you play. What you might find is that hands that look unprofitable using our new method are suddenly profitable again once you tighten up your opponents' calling range.

You could also look into whether 15bb is a good cut off point as to where we should be thinking about splitting our range and whether 12bb or 18bb might be better. Why do you think this might be?

Wrt the BB spot, the best way to approach this spot is by creating an advanced hand in HRC and guestimating villain's range, which in turn will show you which hands we can profitably jam. In this particular situation I think we should jam our entire range and not split it since we want the EV of our worst hands to remain positive. Also, with only 17.5bb we don't have much room to 3b/fold and a 3b off this stack size versus an EP open looks ridiculously strong.

Let me know what you discover for how wide we can jam here. It will show you a linear range, which I believe to be the best approach here.

As for defending here, we need to realise 19% equity, which we'll be able to do with a lot of hands. Versus a minraise in tournaments we should be defending very wide, even versus EP opens.

You should be able to defend with all of these hands here: 22+, A2s+, K2s+, Q2s+, J2s+, T2s+, 92s+, 82s+, 72s+, 62s+, 52s+, 42s+, 32s, A2o+, K8o+, Q9o+, J8o+, T8o+, 97o+, 86o+, 76o, 64o+, 54o.

Now all you need to do is take away the hands you're going to jam from this range and then you're left with a jamming range and a calling range.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file