Preflop bet sizing in tournaments with limpers.

Vincent RVincent R Red Chipper Posts: 20 ✭✭
I've played in a lot of tournaments were there is a lot of limping preflop. My standard bet size is 3x +1 for every limper early on in a tournament and 2.5x +1 middle to later stages of a tournament when the blinds are a bigger percentage of my stack. The issue I have is later on in a tournament with 2 or 3 limpers can be a big percentage my stack. On one hand I don't mind raising so big because there's more fold equity, while raising small will risk less of my stack it will put me in tough spots with marginal holdings when I get called by multiple people.
A generic example of this would be: 25bb deep, 3 limpers in front of you, hero has :Ks :Jd in the CO, raise to 5.5bb. While it's nice to steal when everyone folds, it will be somewhat difficult post flop when someone calls, with the SPR being what it is.
I've had success with this strategy, but I'm just wondering what you guys are doing as there may always be a more optimal line.

Comments

• AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭✭
    As a default it looks good, but once you know the table dynamics you have to adjust. Are the limpers tricky? Are they limping with trash or a tight range to trap? If they are tight players who dont have K9s or J8s in their range then i would prefer over limping and doing an iso with AJ+ KQ+ 88+.

Also are their stacks also 25bb? Some times you can just overbet jam preflop at 25bb with KJ if they are only calling say top 10%. Its a little high variance but +EV.

You can do half a BB per limper as well. If blinds are 50\100 and avg stack is 2500 after 3 limpers you can raise to say 4x. (2.5bb + .5bb). However, i don't expect many folds vs 3 limpers.

Picking up 450 out of 2500 stack is 18%. Just gotta do some math to figure out what hands are EV to shove here.
  • colldavcolldav Red Chipper Posts: 695 ✭✭✭
    I'm really interested in the responses to this question because I face the same issue.

Reiterating @Austin's points, I found out the hard way that if you're going to jam over the limpers it is important to understand who is limp-folding, who is limp-calling with weak hands and who is limping with strong hands. You can then tailor your shoving range accordingly.

• Vincent RVincent R Red Chipper Posts: 20 ✭✭
    Thanks @Austin and @colldav I like the thoughts.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file