Checking: Small Ax, A2, 99
Check/Raise: A2, 99, Ax a couple of the suits of small Ax, JJ, TT
Check/Call: all the rest of Ax, JJ, TT
Folding rest of range

Bet AA and KK, check/call A4dd

Turn: Ah9c2sJh
Continuing with: AA, JJ, 99, AJs+, A2s, Ah5h-Ah3h, AQo+ -- 4%, 61 combos
Betting: A9, A2, AK, AQ
C/R: AA, 99, JJ, A5/4/3 (would I rather C/R with KK or QQ? What is a check/raise doing here? Balancing the sets. Maybe I should have some non-A FD to c/r here?)
C/C: all other Ax hands
Folding: KK, QQ, TT

AKo - calling
AcJc - this could be a raisable hand or is a call?
Khqh - if I had it here would be a raise for sure but I don’t think I have it?

River: Ah9c2sJhKs
My range now is AA, JJ, 99, AJs+, A2s, AKo -- 3.4% 46 combos
Betting: AA, AK, AJ
C/R/F: A2, A9, AQ, A5 (bluff)
C/C: JJ, 99, all other Ax hands left as bluff catchers

99 is a check/call
KhQh is not here…
AQ is a check/raise/fold as a bluff to balance 2p hands here

Push on the river, getting 2:1, so only have to be good 33% of the time
Against this range:AA, JJ, 99, ATs+, KhTh+, QTs, QhJh, AcKh, AdKh, AcQh, AdQh, AcJh, AdJh
99: 62% - call
JJ: 72% — call
AA: 77% — call
AK: 45% — call
AQ: 26% — fold

The wider his range is here with the various 2p the better our value hands do and worse our marginal do. Also depends on how much V will include bluffs here. How likely is he to bluff the river? How likely is he to have made it here with a FD? What would he be calling/bluffing? No Axhh. K9hh? QThh? Weak TAG would likely not have a lot of those hands here, so prob very few bluffs. So don’t need a lot of bluff catchers on the end, I don't think.

I realized later too that I need a check/raise/call range too, maybe?

And still trying to see how to find the combo I hold at the table in these ranges in spots like this, quickly.

Interested to see if anyone stuck with me this far - I kinda dug way deep into these exercises, which I think is the point!

Comments

• Ben HaylesBen Hayles RCP Coach Posts: 3 ✭✭
    Well done zampana. I've scanned through your answer quickly and I'm impressed with the detail. This is exactly what is intended. If you drill through these, you'll start to find it easier to translate to live play.

What are the pros and cons of including KQs/KJs (with backdoor draws) in your Cbet flop range?
    What are your precise pot odds for calling the shove on the river?
  • zampana1970zampana1970 Red Chipper Posts: 336 ✭✭✭
    Hey Ben thanks for the check over!

The KQs/KJs BDs are great for cbetting as they have some big card blocker card value, so we might fold out some PPs, some of the 2nd or 3rd pairs. Cons would be we're going to run into Ax a good part of the time, so we'd prob want to size our cbet a little lower - say 1/3 to 1/2 pot, so that we only have to get a fold 25 to 33% of the time?

We are getting 2.1:1 to call their shove. I believe...

• Ben HaylesBen Hayles RCP Coach Posts: 3 ✭✭
    @zampana1970 I like your thinking regarding the Cbet sizing - we can probably get away with choosing different sizes against this opponent. You might want to check those pot odds once more on the river (27BB to call / Pot 93.4BB). Try and express them as a percentage so you can easily compare it with your perceived equity (of each hand e.g. AQo you said you had 28% equity with).
    Yes good call of course keeping everything in percentages makes total sense. We're getting 29% odds here so if the AQo is in fact 28% then we have a slight value call.
  • QuadzillaQuadzilla Red Chipper Posts: 3 ✭✭
    Greetings, I'm a beginner with range building workbooks. On the turn zampana1970 said he'd continue with Ah5h-Ah3h, but the Ah can't be in his range, since it's on the board, no? (Very impressive breakdown, by the way. I can see I have a long way to go...)
    Yes good point. There are likely all kinds of little errors in there. I think I neglected to have card removal turned on in my hand range builder...