Support at make a living at home country

james ojames o Red Chipper Posts: 6 ✭✭
Hello, dear pokernauts!

I come to you with the hope that you can offer some support in a great endevour I have in front of me.

So lets go straight at it.
I live in a country where poker online as to much strict laws not allowing me to play in the sites that offer better deals and with a good enough player pool. So for what I know I have two options: leave my country or use a vpn. I searched a lot about the use of vpn for poker online and i didnt found something that really assured that it was safe so i started to look for countries where i could move to. The thing is that i have 2 little children and of course i dont want to leave them even if it is "only" for 2 years, that is the maximum i think i would stay abroad.

Given this, I want to give it a try again to the use of vpn or something else that works to be able to stay in my country close to my children.

So, can you give me some kind of support about this. Telling me trough here or personal message what you know through experience that works or doesnt work?

If you know something or someone that can give some support on this, please let me know. I can even offer you some percentage of my winnings for a while as a sign of gratitude.

Thanks in advance! ;)

Comments

• persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • CruelPaiMeiCruelPaiMei Red Chipper Posts: 110 ✭✭
    james o wrote: »
    I live in a country where poker online as to much strict laws not allowing me to play in the sites that offer better deals and with a good enough player pool.

Yeah... I live in the U.S. too. But the live poker is really good!

• MonadMonad Red Chipper Posts: 975 ✭✭✭
    Poker as a career is a fantasy for 99/100 players. Learn on the side where/when you can, don't go out of your way to do shit that'll get you in trouble w/ internet providers/tax authorities, don't buy into your own self-hype, & put your hoop-dreams aside til your kids aren't dependent on you. Sorry to burst your bubble, but this whole post screams "naive" to say the least.
    Well, on the other hand, extrapolating from his name and last initial, he could be in an african country with an average gross annual income of about $500 US, meaning there could, maybe, be something to this.
  • MonadMonad Red Chipper Posts: 975 ✭✭✭
    persuadeo wrote: »
    Well, on the other hand, extrapolating from his name and last initial, he could be in an african country with an average gross annual income of about $500 US, meaning there could, maybe, be something to this.

Could be. I stand by my scathing remarks for now.
  • Jónas SJónas S Red Chipper Posts: 127 ✭✭
    edited September 8
    Where do you live?

You should probably consult with Poker Refugees to see if they've got any relocation options that would suit you. There's an interview available with them in a very recent podcast here on Red Chip Poker.
  • EazzyEazzy Red Chipper Posts: 582 ✭✭✭
    well if your actually a strong poker player. Depending on what the laws are in you country, you might consider starting your own game. In many places a non raked, non time charged game is actually legal. One would make up the investment of a poker table, and chips easily with the rake your saving. And such a game could be very popular with players in your area.

Of course bringing poker scum (well yeah many of us are, i'm not but many other are LOL) into your house a few times a week may not be a great life choice with kids around. And it probably helps if you have a few police officer friends who like to play for security.

Barry Greenstein in his book Aces on the River, talked of how he, advertised poker lesson when he was in college. He had a game that he got players to join, they played, and after wards he told them what they had done wrong. I believe he did pretty well this way.

If he's where i think he is, that has to be the worst idea ever, haha.
  • james ojames o Red Chipper Posts: 6 ✭✭
    Not much of great support but eitherway thanks for the replies.