Poker Coaching: Live vs Remote?

Chris SChris S Red Chipper Posts: 44 ✭✭
I will preface this by saying that I don't think I'm quite ready for coaching yet as I still have plenty I want to study on my own first. I've been picking up a lot through different study material such as the RCP pro membership. However, at some point relatively soon (in the next few months) I'll probably hit a cap and will want to explore coaching.

So my question is to anyone who has used a poker coach or any coaches out there, is it possible to do long distance coaching or is it only worth it to do it live in person? I ask because I'm based out of Maryland and I doubt any coach is local. I was thinking it would probably be a good idea to do the first few sessions in person (maybe fly out to Vegas or wherever for a few days) but then what about after that? Would follow up sessions over something like Skype be possible/worthwhile?
Tagged:

Comments

• MonadMonad Red Chipper Posts: 975 ✭✭✭
    edited September 11
    Skype, etc. is probably the most utilized medium for coaching/session reviews, so don't let your unfamiliarity with it deter you moving forward. Working together in person is a luxury most teachers/students don't have, and even then, being in front of your computer allows access to all sorts of useful tools/software that you might want to utilize during your time together.
  • EazzyEazzy Red Chipper Posts: 582 ✭✭✭
    I agree with monad . Technology has become so efficient, and cheap that long distance caching can be virtually the same face to face.

In fact if one preferred face to face, type thing, by using webcams, a mirophone and writing tablets (all very reasonably priced today) one could pretty much simulate a live session.

Online coaching also has the huge advantage, that you can record sessions so you can play then back and review them.

for most coaches there is almost no reason to fly to Vegas to get your first coaching session, unless you want the coach to watch you play a live game. Although this is probably useful, it may not be the most time efficient way to coach and much of it can be simulated by you simply writing down, all hands you played in a session (a good practice to learn to do occasionally anyway.)
  • moishetreatsmoishetreats Red Chipper Posts: 673 ✭✭✭
    I mostly agree. At this point, coaching via the internet works great. That being said, if your time and budget allow, I would absolutely try to meet the coach first for a one-time face-to-face. I find that the in-person rapport that would be built is irreplaceable, and that personal connection is what enables digital sessions to be most valuable.
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's very little you gain, other than being able to share a lovely beverage, by being in the same room as the coach for a discussion.
  • SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 3,592 -
    Monad wrote: »
    Skype, etc. is probably the most utilized medium for coaching/session reviews, so don't let your unfamiliarity with it deter you moving forward. Working together in person is a luxury most teachers/students don't have, and even then, being in front of your computer allows access to all sorts of useful tools/software that you might want to utilize during your time together.

I 100% agree with this.

Whenever I do in-person coaching I ALWAYS wish we had the online tools like Flopzilla, replayers, etc. available during the session.
    Check out my latest course - The Hand Reading Lab
  • Dean MDean M Red Chipper Posts: 110 ✭✭
    edited September 11
    Chris S wrote: »
    I will preface this by saying that I don't think I'm quite ready for coaching yet as I still have plenty I want to study on my own first. I've been picking up a lot through different study material such as the RCP pro membership.

And I'll preface my thoughts to prod you to get one-on-one coaching earlier than later. I waffled for several months before making the move - mostly because I'm stubborn and like to figure things out myself. I'm wishing I hadn't waited.

Look for a coach who has taken the time to organize a system to find a baseline of where you are currently and then knows how to 'teach you to learn' . You know - 'give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime'.

I don't want to learn a group of techniques to beat today's game. I want a framework that helps me develop a strategy to beat the game as it evolves and at whatever stakes I may play in the future also.

• Chris SChris S Red Chipper Posts: 44 ✭✭
    Thanks everyone, sounds like it's fine to do online sessions and they work well which is good news. Also being able to use a bunch of types of software during a session like flopzilla is actually a big benefit I didn't think about.

I wasn't going to wait too long to find a coach but I at least wanted to get a decent foundation first before starting. It would be really expensive to spend money on a coach to teach basic concepts that I could pick up on my own first.
  • ArtArtBobartArtArtBobart Red Chipper Posts: 330 ✭✭
    persuadeo wrote: »
    There's very little you gain, other than being able to share a lovely beverage, by being in the same room as the coach for a discussion.

I had a single session with a coach who made me pay for his drink. :)

Skype has been great for me, and I do record the sessions, allowing me to focus more on the discussion rather than taking notes at the same time.
  • kageykagey Red Chipper, KINGOFTAGS Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 12
    Chris S wrote: »
    I wasn't going to wait too long to find a coach but I at least wanted to get a decent foundation first before starting. It would be really expensive to spend money on a coach to teach basic concepts that I could pick up on my own first.

funny thing - I was just discussing this with some fine, upstanding red chippers today - and I told them that I had wished I got a coach BEFORE I taught myself the basic concepts/tactics/tricks, etc.

WHY?

because a really good coach is going to help you understand the "whys" of the game. he/she is going to have you see the game thru a filter that will define how you want to play the game and what kind of strategy you should use (that's adjustable).

any coach can help you with your backswing or serve (in tennis) - but a really great coach will have you forget the tactics and adopt a philosophy that will make you tough to beat.

we often watch videos of poker playing and see the bets, the check/raises, the shoves, the what-have-you... but most don't understand the years of preparation that took place behind the scenes to make player X so fierce.... you think it's cuz he check/raised a wet board... but his strategy goes much, much deeper than that.

if you're serious bout getting a coach - do it now and:
    a.) Don't PM @Adam Wheeler - he's unavailable
    b.) Interview several coaches and ask them about their approach to the game

find a coach that's the kind of player you'd hate to encounter at your table - cuz he's one tough SOB to beat.

and don't PM @Adam Wheeler
    unless you want to talk hockey
    Fausto's great and will have nothing to do starting Sept 19.
    Fausto's great and will have nothing to do starting Sept 19.

just as long as you DON'T PM @Adam Wheeler !!!!
    Well, as for heads up play, we have an extraordinary tool associated with rcp that is much misunderstood and best used for heads up play. What is it?

(No, it's not Flop Falcon, even coupled with the beta version of Turn Tortoise that I and tfazio are reviewing.)
  • ArtArtBobartArtArtBobart Red Chipper Posts: 330 ✭✭
    Well, as for heads up play, we have an extraordinary tool associated with rcp that is much misunderstood and best used for heads up play. What is it?

(No, it's not Flop Falcon, even coupled with the beta version of Turn Tortoise that I and tfazio are reviewing.)

Chin? :)
    edited September 12
    Maybe others disagree, but i wouldn't call Chin an extraordinary tool. Two more guesses!
    fold equity calculator?
    SplitSuit's Poker workbook?
    I would almost have to suspect you are deliberately using up the guesses for nefarious purposes except that i guess you are a little warmer.

Nevertheless, no soup for you!
    i wouldn't call Chin an extraordinary tool.

Now THAT was funny... http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=tool

• JonasJonas Red Chipper Posts: 152 ✭✭
    @persuadeo is it... "Heads Up Poker" ? Part 1 and part 2?

My second guess would have been the Alpha version of River Rabbit- "We'll show you how deep the rabbit hole goes"
    It would have to be one hell of a two-part video series to be extraordinarily useful, nevertheless, sounds like there is some material in there.

No more guesses!
  • Adam WheelerAdam Wheeler Red Chipper Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭✭
    kagey wrote: »

and don't PM @Adam Wheeler
    unless you want to talk hockey

I would turn you into a fearless opponent on that ice rink.
  • SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 3,592 -
    edited September 12
    @persuadeo the EV spreadsheet?

* Nevermind, just saw that guesses expired. sadface.
    Check out my latest course - The Hand Reading Lab
    Anything for James. He gets an extra guess:
    Not even close.
    I can't believe you guys didn't find out this one yet.
    I can't believe you guys didn't find out this one yet.

humblebrag :)

@persuadeo the fish are getting hungry - feed us something
    edited September 13
    Make them crazy until they shit in panties or more simply crush them to death.