3 barrels in 3B pot

Duncan TDuncan T Red Chipper Posts: 45 ✭✭
Hi All,

I'd be grateful for any thoughts on the following from 2NL online, no reads available (only 7 hands on HUD):

UTG (112BB) :Kc :Qc raise to 3BB
folds to BB (102.5BB) 3B to 9BB
call

Flop (18.5BB) :Js :Ks :4d
BB bets 12BB
call

Turn (42.5 BB) :6c
BB bets 20.5BB
call

River (83.5BB) :Jd
BB bets 61BB all in

Thanks!

Comments

• Joseph FJoseph F Red Chipper Posts: 416 ✭✭
    edited September 11
    This is the trouble with calling 3bets OOP. It's just asking to be put into a bad spot.
  • moishetreatsmoishetreats Red Chipper Posts: 773 ✭✭✭
    If I raise and am 3-bet while holding suited connectors or a mid- or small pocket pair, then , if I call, I'm looking to flop a monster and stack my opponent. Otherwise, I don't want to get my stack in.
  • AlpineCurtAlpineCurt Red Chipper Posts: 19 ✭✭
    I used to find these spots annoying too, but they're great chances to bust out Flopzilla and break it down street by street to see what you're up against.

Starting assumptions: vs an unknown at the micros, their 3Bet range is usually QQ+, AKs, AKo, sometimes having JJ in there. Yes, there are absolute monkeys who will 3Bet you with K9o for the lulz, but the low frequency at which you'll encounter this doesn't make it a profitable move to try to catch those kinds of bluffs every time.

Instead, consider the following: will you have position? Yes. Does your hand play well in position post flop? KQs is excellent for this.

Against a range of JJ+, AKs, AKo, you have 29.33% equity preflop with KQs. Having 13 big blinds in the pot already and needing 6 more to call, you need at least 31.5% equity.

29.33%...31.5%...meh, close enough. Plus you'll have position. I'd be calling in this spot.

The opponent's range of JJ+, AKs, AKo, hits the flop with top pair or better 85.7% of the time. The worse news is those top pairs beat yours. You beat only QQ here, and that makes up only 3 of the possible 21 combos they're holding. It's not looking good.

Assuming the opponent would CBet top pair or better, your equity drops to 13.6%. I still don't fault you for calling the flop bet. It's tough to fold top pair, good kicker to a flop CBet. However, this flop did smash a 3Bet range. It would be better if there were a club or two in the flop so you could turn some equity.

When the turn hits the board your equity drops to 6.8%. Time to make the disciplined fold to the the opponent's second barrel.

Duncan, join me down the rabbit hole: what flops would be better for your hand in this situation? What would you do if there was a single club on the flop? What about two clubs?
  • RikyRicardoRikyRicardo Red Chipper Posts: 24 ✭✭
    Great post for discussion. I often get call shrug calling in this spot.

I like the call and flop call too. What range did you put him on?

Assuming AJ+ (micros right), TT+... you block KK, AK and QQ.

Does this opponent have the ability to 3 barrel a flush draw, str8 draw... AQs? I'd be interested to know your thinking on the flop and turn when you made both those calls... what are you hoping for?

I think I fold the river bet without more information.
  • Duncan TDuncan T Red Chipper Posts: 45 ✭✭
    Thanks for the input.
    Going down the rabbit hole with @AlpineCurt for a second, a flop of KJ4cxx I think is a call, KJ4cc is a reraise to ~30 BB and leave ~pot size shove for the turn if nothing too ugly rolls off.

That being said, back out of the rabbit hole, I have a small admission to make...

This was V's line not mine. I was interested to see what people made of it in terms of what my line looked like from the other side.
  • AlpineCurtAlpineCurt Red Chipper Posts: 19 ✭✭
    edited September 12
    @Duncan T Clever way to get feedback!

Something else that came to mind while looking at this hand: this looks like a fantastic flop and run out for a 3Bet AK. There are plenty of draws / pair + backdoor equity hands in UTG's range that will call a 3Bet preflop (AQ, AJ, AT, KQ, QJ, maybe QTs, and if UTG has a low fold vs 3Bet there are some suited spade combos that could stick around).

One leak in my game I'm working on is getting more value from top pair type hands. Is this a good spot to get three streets from TPTK?