NL Holdem $0.05(BB)
BTN ($4.83)
SB ($5.77)
BB ($9.5)
HERO ($5.04)
HJ ($5)
CO ($2.75)

Dealt to Hero A:spade: Q:club:

HERO Raises To $0.15 (Rem. Stack: 4.89), HJ Folds, CO Calls $0.15 (Rem. Stack: 2.60), BTN Folds, SB Folds, BB Folds

Flop ($0.37) J:diamond: A:club: 5:spade:
HERO Bets $0.39 (Rem. Stack: 4.50), CO Calls $0.39 (Rem. Stack: 2.21)

Turn ($1.15) J:diamond: A:club: 5:spade: 5:club:
HERO Bets $4.5 (allin) (Rem. Stack: 0.00)...

Line check, please.

Comments

• NinjahNinjah Red Chipper Posts: 873 ✭✭✭✭
    You are very far ahead of his range here. Why are you betting in a manner that is forcing him to fold. Since he's a short stack I'd rather try to get him to commit his stack through smaller bets without him realizing it.
  • Joseph FJoseph F Red Chipper Posts: 332 ✭✭
    See, we just identified a misunderstanding I have: I would think that in this spot, villain's getting it in lighter because he's so short. Why is he playing tighter? What am I not getting about the purpose of why these play short in the first place?

Hand History driven straight to this forum with DriveHUD Poker HUD & Database

NL Holdem $0.05(BB)
    BTN ($4.83)
    SB ($5.77)
    BB ($9.5)
    HERO ($5.04)
    HJ ($5)
    CO ($2.75)

HERO Raises To $0.15 (Rem. Stack: 4.89), HJ Folds, CO Calls $0.15 (Rem. Stack: 2.60), BTN Folds, SB Folds, BB Folds

HERO Bets $4.5 (allin) (Rem. Stack: 0.00), CO Calls $2.21 (allin) (Rem. Stack: 0.00)

River ($7.86) J:diamond: A:club: 5:spade: 5:club: 4:club:

CO shows A:heart: T:spade:

HERO wins $7.59
    Hand History driven straight to this forum with DriveHUD Poker HUD & Database

NL Holdem $0.05(BB)
    BTN ($4.83)
    SB ($5.77)
    BB ($9.5)
    HERO ($5.04)
    HJ ($5)
    CO ($2.75)

HERO Bets $4.5 (allin) (Rem. Stack: 0.00), CO Calls $2.21 (allin) (Rem. Stack: 0.00)

River ($7.86) J:diamond: A:club: 5:spade: 5:club: 4:club:

CO shows A:heart: T:spade:

HERO wins $7.59

The other thing was that I shoved because the table was loose and passive until the pot got big. Then they were throwing the money in with all sorts of garbage. I thought he had a good enough piece of this board to come along for the ride. I do realize, however, that the fact he did come along for the ride doesn't make my thought process at the time correct.
    It's true that he's probably never getting away from Ax but I'd want to size my bets so that I could get Jx to stack off too.
  • SliverOverlordSliverOverlord Red Chipper Posts: 191 ✭✭✭
    I like this line. I don't think villain can have JJ here so once the 5 comes down, he doesn't many hands that beat you. 1 combo of A5s and a few AJ combos, maybe some 65s 54s. If you have a read that villain raises all his 2 pair+ combos OTF then overbetting really puts pressure on him, and you can do this with AQ+ for sure, possibly AT all for value.

I don't expect villain to be putting a lot more money in the pot with Jx, maybe 1 smaller bet. without thinking about it too much, I would guess the potential profit from stacking the suited Ax and better Axo would far outweigh getting a smaller bet out of Jx.
    I like this line. I don't think villain can have JJ here so once the 5 comes down, he doesn't many hands that beat you. 1 combo of A5s and a few AJ combos, maybe some 65s 54s. If you have a read that villain raises all his 2 pair+ combos OTF then overbetting really puts pressure on him, and you can do this with AQ+ for sure, possibly AT all for value.

I don't expect villain to be putting a lot more money in the pot with Jx, maybe 1 smaller bet. without thinking about it too much, I would guess the potential profit from stacking the suited Ax and better Axo would far outweigh getting a smaller bet out of Jx.

Ax isn't folding either way. Jx folds to a turn overbet whereas it may not fold to a 1/2 to 2/3 pot bet depending on the player. Villain's stack size allows us to get stacks in by the river easily. Why do we want to cost ourselves value by attacking only his Ax hands?
  • SliverOverlordSliverOverlord Red Chipper Posts: 191 ✭✭✭
    The way I'm thinking about his range, I'm thinking he's going Make more money targeting the Ax that will call the 2x pot bet than Jx that will call a half pot bet, especially considering there are 20%ish rivers he might end up folding an A on. I'm not going to go through and figure out the combos and the math, I'll let OP do that if he wants, but it's my opinion.

I also enjoy starting this overbetting dynamic with players especially at the micros when they'll way overcompensate in some areas and I can out adjust them/ out luckbox them.