Short Stack Q:Shove or No Shove?

SammwiggSammwigg Red Chipper Posts: 84 ✭✭
Post Oak Poker room in Houston, TX
1/3 NLH
Hero: has played 3 hands in the last hour, image is Tight Passive, $130 stack(42bb) (down $70)
Hand: :8S: :8D: on the But

UTG Limps, UTG2 limps, (Hero) But R$15, UTG and UTG2 call
[$49] Flop :8C: :9C: :4H:
UTG and UTG2 check, Hero R$20, UTG and UTG2 call
[$109] Turn :QH:
UTG and UTG2 check, Hero All In R$95, UTG calls and UTG2 folds

Question: With the possible made Straight with a Flush Draw, was the Hero's shove the correct move with a set?

Result:
River 2s
Hero wins (pot $299)

Best Answers

• Rich57Rich57 Red Chipper Posts: 75 ✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    With those stack sizes and how the hand was played, shoving 95 is about the only option. BTW send me some of those trips you keep hitting.
  • jfarrow13jfarrow13 Red Chipper Posts: 619 ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Few things on short stack: Raising to $15 here is a bad idea. You don't have the odd to hit you set and are gonna bleed yourself nothing when overs come and your forced to fold or C-bet and get called and then fold. Limping is OK if the blinds are passive and won't raise, otherwise fold it. Yes, 88 is a good hand, but not with your stack it's not. I get your tired of getting trash and folding. I get you just wanna play a hand. Well, re-load your stack. This has been one of my biggest leaks if I only take 1 buy-in. When you get down to 50~ bb's, you get to play a generous 5% of hands profitably. THAT is awful. As played, you had no other options. Your never folding. Reload. Your going to only lose money around $120~ cause your gonna get bored. Unless you brought movies, and can sit there and just not pay attention and play the math of the short stack. But then why play at all? There's better ways to make money and that's not even poker anymore it's just boring.
  • SammwiggSammwigg Red Chipper Posts: 84 ✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Rich57 wrote: »
    BTW send me some of those trips you keep hitting.

Yea, sets don't come along often enough! Thanks for the feed back.
    Accepted Answer
    jfarrow13 wrote: »
    Few things on short stack: Raising to $15 here is a bad idea. You don't have the odd to hit you set and are gonna bleed yourself nothing when overs come and your forced to fold or C-bet and get called and then fold. Limping is OK if the blinds are passive and won't raise, otherwise fold it. Yes, 88 is a good hand, but not with your stack it's not. I get your tired of getting trash and folding. I get you just wanna play a hand. Well, re-load your stack. This has been one of my biggest leaks if I only take 1 buy-in. When you get down to 50~ bb's, you get to play a generous 5% of hands profitably. THAT is awful. As played, you had no other options. Your never folding. Reload. Your going to only lose money around $120~ cause your gonna get bored. Unless you brought movies, and can sit there and just not pay attention and play the math of the short stack. But then why play at all? There's better ways to make money and that's not even poker anymore it's just boring.

Good point J. It's a tough spot chipping down below 50bb and deciding when to fire that second bullet for $200. I was going to wait until I went under $100 (33bb) to reload. I think going forward I am going to start using multiples of $300 instead of $200. These tables are starting act more like 1/20 games instead of 1/3, if you know what I mean.
  • SliverOverlordSliverOverlord Red Chipper Posts: 191 ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    If you're raising this pre, which I think can go either way at your stack depth, My thought is this: make it 20$ pre and If the flop comes Ahigh or Khigh be prepared to "bluff" with 88. It will pretty much be the bottom of your range. But if villain calls and calls, you're drawing to 2 outs.

As played, I like a larger cbet, to 35ish. Clubs, straight draws (GSSD+overs and open enders), 9x, TT, all are probably not folding. Might as well get enough in now so you're priced in/ able to give them a more attractive price on the turn with draws.
    Accepted Answer
    If you're raising this pre, which I think can go either way at your stack depth, My thought is this: make it 20$ pre and If the flop comes Ahigh or Khigh be prepared to "bluff" with 88. It will pretty much be the bottom of your range. But if villain calls and calls, you're drawing to 2 outs.

As played, I like a larger cbet, to 35ish. Clubs, straight draws (GSSD+overs and open enders), 9x, TT, all are probably not folding. Might as well get enough in now so you're priced in/ able to give them a more attractive price on the turn with draws.

Agreed, a larger Cbet of 2/3 or 3/4 pot could have been still small enough on the flop to get the 2 callers and encouraged the second villain to come along on a smaller all in turn bet.