Appropriate Bet Sizing on Pre-Flop Raise and 4Bet?

SammwiggSammwigg Red Chipper Posts: 84 ✭✭
edited September 12 in Live Poker Hands
Post Oak Poker room - Houston, TX
1/3 NLH

Hero: Stack $550 (183bb) (up $350 for the session)
Hand: :AS: :AD:

(Hero)UTG R$20, UTG2 3Bet$50, BB C$50, Hero 4Bet$175 more, UTG2 folds and ends up showing :5H: :5C: , BB folds and mucks
[Hero bets $195 to win $104]

Question: Was the Hero's bet sizing appropriate on Raise and on 4Bet?

Results:
Flop: :5D: :QC: :2C:
Turn: :JS:
River; :KD:
Hero wins $104

Best Answers

• kageykagey Red Chipper, KINGOFTAGS Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Sammy....
    YOU have to figure out what your bet is meant to do.
    THEN, you have to size it to accommplish what you want it to do.

you seem to be complaining that you only won 104 - where if you had sized it too small, you would have lost your stack!

bet sizing is an art - not a formula.
    PLUS, it has to be part of your "master plan" as to how you're going to play your ranges... not just single hands.

are you showing us the "results" when no-one called because you rabbit-hunted?
    if so, you've got bigger issues that what should be your perfect bet size, imo.
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    That's a slightly big 4 but i am more astounded by the massive errors of your opponents. Reminds me of a long time ago when a friend of mine laughed and pointed out some guy's strangely colored pants. Everyone was a little confused by this observation because the fellow had a giant goiter bouncing on one shoulder.
  • SammwiggSammwigg Red Chipper Posts: 84 ✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    kagey wrote: »
    Sammy....
    YOU have to figure out what your bet is meant to do.
    THEN, you have to size it to accommplish what you want it to do.

you seem to be complaining that you only won 104 - where if you had sized it too small, you would have lost your stack!

bet sizing is an art - not a formula.
    PLUS, it has to be part of your "master plan" as to how you're going to play your ranges... not just single hands.

are you showing us the "results" when no-one called because you rabbit-hunted?
    if so, you've got bigger issues that what should be your perfect bet size, imo.

I appreciate your response. To address your points;
    1) The bet sizing was calculated at 3x the R$50 plus some $s for the additional caller, that size was to designed as a quick calculation to not give spec hands like small pairs and low to middle suited connectors good enough odds to call.
    2) I hope that I would never complain about winning a pot. Just asking for opinions from other players if they thought a better bet size should have been used for whatever reason.
    3) I wish I had a master plan. I need to work on putting players on ranges as well as myself and then bet accordingly. I am more of a play by feel player at this stage in my game. I am working on it.
    4) Rabbit Hunting? Not sure how that happened at this point, Just don't remember. I don't ever ask for it, RH results just don't matter to me. Other players ask and occasionally this poker room will do it if the dealers are tipped. The only reason I mentioned it is to show how the hand would have been lost, for those wanting to comment on this post.

Thanks again for your comments, VMA.
  • SammwiggSammwigg Red Chipper Posts: 84 ✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    persuadeo wrote: »
    That's a slightly big 4 but i am more astounded by the massive errors of your opponents. Reminds me of a long time ago when a friend of mine laughed and pointed out some guy's strangely colored pants. Everyone was a little confused by this observation because the fellow had a giant goiter bouncing on one shoulder.

Thanks for the feed back persuadeo but I need some help here. After I looked up what a goiter was, I moved on to ponder what you thought would have been a better size 4 bet and what the massive errors my opponents made? Thanks for your input, VMA.

Answers