VPN, to use or not to use, thats the question...

james ojames o Red Chipper Posts: 6 ✭✭
(one last try, now maybe with a more engaging "tiltle")

Hello, pokernauts!

Here is the reason of "the question".
I live in a country where poker online as to much strict laws not allowing me to play in the sites that offer better deals and with a good enough player pool. So for what I know I have two options: leave my country or use a vpn. I searched a lot about the use of vpn for poker online and i didnt found something that really assured that it was safe so i started to look for countries where i could move to. The thing is that i have 2 little children and of course i dont want to leave them even if it is "only" for 2 years, which is the maximum i think i would stay abroad.

Given this, I want to give it a try again to the use of vpn or something else that works to be able to stay in my country close to my children.

So, can you give me some kind of support about this telling me trough here or personal message what you know through experience that works or doesnt work?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• eugeniusjreugeniusjr Red Chipper Posts: 283 ✭✭✭
    You are asking for help breaking the law on a public forum. Maybe someone will PM you, but maybe this thread will be taken down by the end of the day.

JFGI, and live with the risks of your choice.
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    James, you needed to answer jonas' serious questions in the first thread if you are set on this. There are nuances to where you are, how you will cash out, and what will the cost of doing business be that depend on where you are and what sites you will play on, nevermind the more basic questions the other posters were suggesting. These were not trivial, whether you found them supportive or not.

If you are wisely not giving private info out and that explains your reluctance to engage in discussion, just look at the many articles on the web about this.

In any case, thank you for the term Pokernaut.
  • NinjahNinjah Red Chipper Posts: 873 ✭✭✭✭
    Does it work? Yes. Can you get into serious trouble if caught? Yes. Is anyone on the forum going to give you advice on doing something against the law and TOS for the site you want to play on? No.

Make your choices at your own risk. I'd love to play on a site like PokerStars or 888 but it isn't worth the risk to me and I'd imagine most would agree with me. If you are making a living by playing online poker then you would be better off moving.
  • SliverOverlordSliverOverlord Red Chipper Posts: 191 ✭✭✭
    edited September 13
    Here's my question, when you have access to the bodog network, why play on stars or 888?

That being said, why are set on making a living at online poker? Especially dealing with something illegal and with 2 small kids? My support would be to reconsider the risk/reward of this venture, and consider staying on the right side of the law if you're responsible for more than just yourself.
  • kenaceskenaces Red Chipper Posts: 587 ✭✭✭
    Where do you live?
  • james ojames o Red Chipper Posts: 6 ✭✭
    I live in Portugal.

"There are nuances to where you are, how you will cash out, and what will the cost of doing business be that depend on where you are and what sites you will play on, nevermind the more basic questions the other posters were suggesting."

I thought a lot about this and i am making research for 15 days now but maybe i dont have all that covered. Which nuances you are talking about?

"and what will the cost of doing business be"

Which business?
  • SliverOverlordSliverOverlord Red Chipper Posts: 191 ✭✭✭
    Somebody explained it to me like this. You deposit 100$ on Bovada, and due to Bovada operating in some gray areas, theirs a 10% chance of it going down and losing 100% of your deposit, so you should expect of every 100$ deposit, you are losing 10.

Now apply that same concept to using a VPN. 10% chance of getting caught? And if you get caught to you lose 100%? Or potentially face fines of even more?

After going through those numbers, probably better to air on the conservative sides with your estimates, are you still able to reduce risk enough that playing poker is a viable method to make money?
  • Ray KRay K Red Chipper Posts: 51 ✭✭
    Wow, what a conviction , im starting to feel that things should workout for you.
    Seeing your post on almost all poker forums, i do hope you get what you want.

For me i do suggest you move to place where you can play online poker without using VPN, the risk of losing your hard earn money is just to high. I understand that you don't want to leave your kids for 2 years but you do need to earn for a living.
  • RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 696 ✭✭✭
    edited September 17
    @james o
    I don't know how is exactly the situation in Portugal, but I found this article from late Nov 2016 interesting :
    "Legal Online Poker Returns To Portugal As PokerStars Receives The First License"
    https://www.onlinepokerreport.com/22950/pokerstars-receives-first-portugal-license/
  • MonadMonad Red Chipper Posts: 975 ✭✭✭
    edited September 18
    Ray K wrote: »
    Wow, what a conviction , im starting to feel that things should workout for you.
    Seeing your post on almost all poker forums, i do hope you get what you want.

For me i do suggest you move to place where you can play online poker without using VPN, the risk of losing your hard earn money is just to high. I understand that you don't want to leave your kids for 2 years but you do need to earn for a living.

Assuming OP even has the skillet/experience/discipline to grind out a living abroad, and isn't just delusional. Easy for us on an anonymous forum to say "yeah go for it!", not really knowing any substantive details about their professional/personal lives beyond the fact this dude is in need of a steady job to support two kids. Poker is not a steady job.
  • Ray KRay K Red Chipper Posts: 51 ✭✭
    Monad wrote: »
    Assuming OP even has the skillet/experience/discipline to grind out a living abroad, and isn't just delusional. Easy for us on an anonymous forum to say "yeah go for it!", not really knowing any substantive details about their professional/personal lives beyond the fact this dude is in need of a steady job to support two kids. Poker is not a steady job.

People already tried to advice him to get a decent "real job" but he just dont want to work like that. we advice him not to use VPN because its risky but he still is planning to use one. there is no way he will listen to our advice no matter how we tell him.
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    James, Sliveroverlord covered an important aspect of it, but the others are the cost, if any, of your VPN software and any difficuties/costs/delays with your transactions/e-wallet.

Best of luck.
  • james ojames o Red Chipper Posts: 6 ✭✭
    "People already tried to advice him to get a decent "real job" but he just dont want to work like that. we advice him not to use VPN because its risky but he still is planning to use one. there is no way he will listen to our advice no matter how we tell him. "

I heard those advices already sometimes and probably not from wining poker players, so i will give it a try. If it doesnt work, then a "real job" will do it.

As for the VPN i didnt decide yet.

Thanks for all the feedback