Advice for Day 2 in a 100K gtd?

BenjoLGMBenjoLGM Red Chipper Posts: 4 ✭✭
So, I won my first "bigger cash" at a tournament this year at Sugarhouse (120$ buy-in 5K gtd, 95ppl, for 2600$). A couple days ago I got through Day 1 of a 100K gtd, Day 2 being this Sunday, and I'm significantly more nervous. Just wondering if anyone has any advice for how to calm down, study beforehand, etc. I'll be sitting with 119000 (40 bigs). Much appreciated!

Onne interesting hand from Day 1: I had had KK cracked earlier and found myself on btn with the same. Effective stack (around 21 bigs- I only had about 25 myself) was UTG+1 and raised to 3 bigs. He was super aggressive all day too. It folded to me and I decided to flat and let him hang himself post-flop. Flop TT4, he goes all-in and I snap call. He flips over 55, so I patted myself on the back. PLOT TWIST: the chip leader at the table suddenly yells "come dealer, give him a 5!" Everyone laughs, then the dealer puts out a 5. Table goes nuts, and I just keep staring at the table. Same guy goes, "ahhh, sorry man (to me). I feel bad. Dealer, I changed my mind: give him a King!" Now the guy with 55, who openly laughed and celebrated the turn, obviously, jokes "hey man, I thought you were on my side", still laughing-ish... until the dealer dutifully puts out a King. The table goes nuts, obviously, and the chip leader who had called for both cards just sits back and goes "my will be done". It was pretty wild. PLOT TWIST TWIST: I knocked the chip leader out two hours later
Tagged:

Best Answers

Answers

• Victor CVictor C Red Chipper Posts: 3 ✭✭
    Try to use relaxing music at the beggining to prepare your mind!
  • tripletiretripletire Red Chipper Posts: 323 ✭✭✭
  • Jeffrey OJeffrey O Red Chipper Posts: 38 ✭✭
    Yea.... how'd you play BenjoLGM?
  • ChipFluxChipFlux Red Chipper Posts: 89 ✭✭
    Two things. Mental/body prep and strategic visualization. Day before, get some exercise, outside if possible. Go for a walk and smell the roses kind of thing depending on your present exercise situation. Eat well including a healthy evening meal. Get a good nights rest, plan when you will wake and your pre tourney routine such as getting to the venue, eating, preparing or packing snacks, etc. You will be well rested, well nourished, and on glide slope to the day two restart.

At some point, your seating assignment will be posted, hopefully on line. As soon as possible without sacrificing rest, check your table for all players positions and stacks. Do any of the player have listed results? Any regs you may know or pros? Once you have a map of your table, consider what ranges you want to play from which position given stacks and position. Who will have a reshoving stack on your left? Just use the table map to consider strategic and tactical situations that may arise. Don’t endlessly dwell on it or over do it.

When cards get back in the air, you will be prepared to play well. Relax, make the best decisions you can, and enjoy the tourney as it evolves by staying in the moment. Hope you did well!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file