Mistakes As The Defender, By Adam Jones

DoubleBarrelDoubleBarrel Hudson Valley, NYRed Chipper Posts: 870 ✭✭✭
edited September 2017 in PRO Product Discussion
I felt it extremely appropriate to make a thread both highlighting how phenomenal and valuable this video really is. Honestly, there's things in Adam's videos and through his style of teaching that make a ~50 min video like this worth more than some of these outrageous $200 packages you can buy on the same subjects. The point is, there's multiple videos per month here that - by themselves - justify the Pro Membership price.

I digress. This video cleared up a lot of misconceptions for me and filled in a few blanks I was finding I had while in more complicated hands at the tables. Once you start to study these subjects heavily, not only do you learn to understand and implement them better yourself, you also learn how to identify and exploit villain tendencies and plays which are massively EV. It's basically a language (poker math) and until you speak it, you're going to be relatively lost in the country of cash games.

Definitely one of the best videos I've ever watched online and not only that but this video alone, believe this or not, taught me more about how to use CREV than the CREV tutorials themselves and that wasn't even Adam's intention here. He just used the product for a few minutes. Once again, extremely impressive.

You will not find better quality videos - for any stakes - anywhere. As I've said in other posts repeatedly, the only true site to compare to this one is RunItOnce and if you go with the $25 Essential, you're definitely not getting anything remotely close to what you're getting here at RCP for both free and the price tag itself. Alternatively, you can pay $99 for their Elite program, which I have no knowledge of myself as I've never seen a video from that collection but right here we're already at double the cost of RCP. Others with the Elite program on RIO would obviously know how this compares to RCP's flat, full access pro membership better than I would.

I thought this deserved the time and thoughts expressed. Watch this video, along with some of the newer ones from the past two months on here, and then really - tell me where you're going to find a better commercial training site today. A lot of micros and small stakes players think they can just study youtube and free material and climb the ladder. I think that's about as unrealistic as some of my original expectations for the game of poker were. Watching Gripsed videos after he's blown a good 2g's of powder and then reading the ridiculous comments section below is definitely not anywhere near on par as the content produced here. I couldn't possibly imagine a Gripsed only studier starting at 2NL with an RCP'er and seeing who progresses faster being anything other than stark proof in the pudding.

Keep up the absolutely phenomenal work around here and thanks again for what you've done for my game and personality thus far. It's been well, well worth it.

Comments

• GlynGlyn Red Chipper Posts: 17 ✭✭
    I agree that this is a very good video. It helped firm up my understanding of implied odds and really helped me to understand reverse implied odds – a concept I’ve been struggling with. I know that I’m going to be able to apply this to improve my 2/5 game. Thank you, @w34z3l !

My question/concern about the video has to do with the CREV analysis in the last part of the video. Throughout, Adam is talking as though BB (hero) is checking the river and responding to Button (villain) with either a call or fold (or check behind). But at 37:14 he removes villain’s ability to bet the river, to demonstrate a point. When he restores the betting option at 37:40, he applies it to BB (hero). From that point on, BB is betting and Button is reacting to BB’s action. For me, this puts all of the remaining analysis in doubt.

Would it be possible to edit the video to fix the mistake? I would be interested to see how the analysis changes.
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, Adam is a great teacher. However, why sweat the RIO with unlimited stacks behind? We lose a million bbs sometimes, but hey, we're infinitely deep for the next hand still.

Nice work.
  • w34z3lw34z3l RCP Coach Posts: 48 ✭✭
    Joseph F, thanks for the glowing review.

Glyn, well spotted. That is a mistake. Interestingly it makes no difference to the first calculation and only an extremely marginal difference to the second calculation. So the concepts are still valid, and fixing the tree will show more or less the same numbers. (In other words, although the tree was wrong, it is effectively still showing what was intended. I.e, an additional bet is going in on the river when our equity is behind).

Having said that, it's a mistake and could be confusing to viewers if they spot it. I'll see if I can patch it up and resubmit to RCP.\
  • Adam WheelerAdam Wheeler Red Chipper Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    @w34z3l

Did you try the new GTO+ from the CREV team ? And if so how does it compare to PIO?

I know it's a beta version and some options aren't there yet but just on a friendly usability, how is it ?

As many suggest that CREV is a bit clunky to use.

Thanks.
  • DoubleBarrelDoubleBarrel Hudson Valley, NYRed Chipper Posts: 870 ✭✭✭
    As many suggest that CREV is a bit clunky to use.

As is Flopzilla and GTO+ itself. I have GTO+ and am just scratching the surface with it and GTO solvers in general so I can't say how good it is just that it's definitely a Scylla work. For better and for worse.
  • w34z3lw34z3l RCP Coach Posts: 48 ✭✭
    I got a vid coming out in the coming months. Introduction to CREV. I make some comparisons to PIOsolver and basically explain why I think CREV is much better software than PIOsolver.

So why is everyone using PIOsolver and hardly anyone using CREV? Because PIOsolver is trending at the moment. It's the latest thing that all the "cool" players are doing. That, and some people simply don't realise that CREV has a fully functional GTO solver.
  • Adam WheelerAdam Wheeler Red Chipper Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭
    @w34z3l

Awesome, looking forward to it.
  • DoubleBarrelDoubleBarrel Hudson Valley, NYRed Chipper Posts: 870 ✭✭✭
    w34z3l wrote: »
    I got a vid coming out in the coming months. Introduction to CREV. I make some comparisons to PIOsolver and basically explain why I think CREV is much better software than PIOsolver.

So why is everyone using PIOsolver and hardly anyone using CREV? Because PIOsolver is trending at the moment. It's the latest thing that all the "cool" players are doing. That, and some people simply don't realise that CREV has a fully functional GTO solver.

Honestly, Yeah - Scylla could have done a much better job of marketing GTO+ because flat out, a lot of players just don't know it exists. Granted it's new but, still.
  • Charles PCharles P Red Chipper Posts: 26 ✭✭
    I was writing a poker application but stopped as soon as I saw GTO+. It's too good to compete with, not to mention CREV. To all the people that I contacted, I apologize for wasting your time.
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 2,618 -
    w34z3l wrote: »

In case anyone missed it, the video Adam teased is at: https://redchippoker.com/pro-video-jones027/
    Moderation In Moderation

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file