is poker really a skill game at all? then riddle me this:

star681star681 Red Chipper Posts: 399 ✭✭
in Hassebs book (im paraphrasing because it was long tims ago)
he notes why are all the best poker players from affluent countries?
he have the best bjj brazil........or poor people hard core speacial ones find away if there is one.
minorites when things were actully unfair found away singing the best. they had nothing to start with , ..... ok so , internet and cards arevevery where and virtuall free to ALL. hard to say of many things except maybe a sockerball madecof stuffed socks. nothing. yet the .01%'ers find away and then become the best at their choosen way. rags to riches sports figures from impovrished nations and they were of improvish. thunk the untouchable slums of india. where is the one or many once the other ones swa it was ab"real way" . the ones that spent 18 hours a day 4 screeningfor 5 years stright, read a book, wrote an truly orginal book, and did what they had to fing do. where are they if it is truly a skillngame? there should be more. is there even 1?

Comments

• SliverOverlordSliverOverlord Red Chipper Posts: 323 ✭✭✭
    BJJ is so big in Brazil for two reasons, it's Brazilian Jui Jitsu, and the Gracie family. No family has or will ever be as dominant in the world of combat sports as the Gracies. They revolutionized the world when Royce started fighting in the UFC, and Rickson was one of the most dominant fighters of his time as well... and there's about 50 other big names all tied to Helio.

Onto poker. Yes, was possible for young kids to run up bankrolls from the freerolls back in the good ole days, but in today's economy, I don't think that remains true. Maybe someone truly truly dedicated to the game could do it, but without disposable income to learn the game, it is very hard to make it in poker, so that limits a lot of the potential player pool.

Also, I still think a majority of the world thinks there's not much of a difference between Poker and any other table game, and steer clear of it for that reason. They don't see it as the "way out", like so many kids see football or basketball, when in reality, grinding it up to the nosebleeds as a poker player is probably more likely than making it to the NFL.

I guess you could say the answer to your question is the same as the answer to why there are so few female chess players and poker players, lack of interest, and lack of awareness.
  • star681star681 Red Chipper Posts: 399 ✭✭
    '"but without disposable income to learn the game,"
    i think u nailed it
  • AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    star681 wrote: »
    '"but without disposable income to learn the game,"
    i think u nailed it

Completely untrue. If you don't have disposable income in life, you are probably not working hard enough and should spend some time in the library. Even if your not making a lot of money in your job you should be able to save money still. What im getting at is if your not working hard in life, you probably won't work hard in poker either, so you will never make it to the top. I've never invested a ton of money in poker, yet i find my education towards the game to do very well.
  • WhichWhich Red Chipper Posts: 114 ✭✭
    "Sebastiana Pimenta
    ‘I saw garbage trucks tipping over on to people’

Sebastiana, 35, started scavenging when she was 14. Back then, she says, any film-maker could have used the dump as the perfect vision of hell. She would wake at 4am, go out with a torch and not return home until 10pm. The work was simple but exhausting. Sift and sort the trash for anything that could be recycled – plastic bags, aluminium cans, copper wire, cardboard, newspapers – then fill as many bags as possible and haul them off to waiting trucks. In a good week she could earn up to 300 reais (about £75)"

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jan/19/trash-rio-de-janeiro-waste-tip-film

yeah, just not hanging out at the library enough....

which
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Where's the riddle? Being poor doesn't give you special moral qualities, and if you're smart, why would poker be the way to go?
  • bigburge10bigburge10 Red Chipper Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭✭
    Austin wrote: »
    Completely untrue. If you don't have disposable income in life, you are probably not working hard enough and should spend some time in the library. Even if your not making a lot of money in your job you should be able to save money still.
    I don't know if we should correlate one's disposable income to their effort level. There are plenty of people with much less disposable income than I have who work much harder than I do.

• bigburge10bigburge10 Red Chipper Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭✭
    Also, I still think a majority of the world thinks there's not much of a difference between Poker and any other table game, and steer clear of it for that reason.
    A while back, I overheard two fish in my game talking about table games and slots. They both said they don't play those games because of poor odds. However, I began to wonder if this was really true for these two particular players. They didn't stand a chance at the poker table and their odds may have been better at any other game in the house. I must say though, I'm sure glad they believe their odds are better at the poker table.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file