How to deal opponents that are playing down 5/5 to 1/3 NL

SammwiggSammwigg Red Chipper Posts: 102 ✭✭
Last Night at the Post Oak PR - 1/3 NL Game
Almost as much action as at the 5/5 games in the same room. A few players seem to be dropping down a level to prey on the weaker players like myself.

This created an interesting table dynamics. Being new to the room, one of our Houston locals Sammy Farha, came over to watch the action after things heated up, for about 30 minutes. A friend of his was playing at the table.

Max starting stack $300 or largest stack.
New table started around 5PM, everyone starts with $300 on the table.

First Hand two players get all in on the flop, one has top pair the other has a flush draw. draw misses and pair wins.

Winner now has a $630 stack. All players at the table except for me and one other player tops off they stacks to $630 immediately. I know I am in for a ride.

This 1/3 game was full of action as far as 1/3 games go.
99% limps were raised, 99% raises had at least one caller usually 2 to 4callers , 30% of raises were 3Bet.

I decided to top off with a $100 more each time I reached $250. When I was in for $600 with a $350 stack, I isolated a weak player 3 seats to my left in seat 7. He had already bought in 3 times for $500. He had chipped up at least once from $500 to $1,500 by playing hands like top pair, fast on scary boards that had flush and straight potential, only to catch 2 pair on the river to win. Then he would then proceed blow his stack by doing the same with small pocket pair that never improved.

(My 1st hand to stay in long enough to see the turn)
UTG R$15, UTG2 C$15, MP C$15, MP2 C$15
LJ (Hero) :AS: :QS: 3bets $75
BUT V1 (weak player in seat 7) C$75

Flop: :JS: :2S: :7D:

Hero R$100, V1 C$100

Turn :AC:

Hero Ck, V1 R$75, Hero C$75

River :8C:

Hero Ck, V1 R$100, Hero C$100

V1 shows 55

(My 2nd hand to stay in long enough to see the turn)

UTG R$15, all the other 7 players C$15

Hero in the BB :9S: :9D: R$105 (I must admit it's a little weird having Sammy Farha standing over your shoulder watching this go down). As luck would have it, only MP V1 Calls (weak player in seat 7)

Flop :7c :8s :Tc

Hero R$150, V1 C$150

Turn :6D:

Hero:R$300, V1 C$300 (with $40 behind)

River :QD:

Hero: R$40, V1 calls $40 All in

Hero wins with a Straight
V1 shows :AC: :5C: for a busted flush draw

V1 bought in for another $500 and was still playing after I left.

Up $500 for the session. I ether folded or bet folded most of the night.
Did not play up to the potential the table was offering.
It is obvious to me, I have along way to go in learning about, thinking ahead in hands and how to keep from being exploited by aggression from competent players.
But I did enjoy the ride.

Any suggestions on how to advance in those areas?

Samm

Best Answers

• SammwiggSammwigg Red Chipper Posts: 102 ✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    persuadeo wrote: »
    Sammwigg wrote: »

Winner now has a $630 stack. All players at the table except for me and one other player tops off they stacks to $630 immediately. I know I am in for a ride.

1) The Post-Oak room is clearly legendary.
    2) We need a review of poker terms in the RC Tools page. We've got BU vs. CO squeezes, opens from the BB, lead raises, and god knows what else going on these days. (Is this what happens when they burn the books?)
    3. You played these hands fine enough for this game. Reisoing 99 against these maniacs is going to be thin but probably profitable. Don't leave the $40 to bet on the end, that's just silly. Somehow fishcake called river though, when he could have saved it and bought Sammy some cigarettes. Guess he put you on the nut flush draw, lol!

1) No it's not legendary, its brand new. Houston has only had underground poker rooms until this year (2017). Houston has a very large poker community. For the first time our players don't have to travel to Oklahoma, Louisiana or Las Vagas to play in a legal game without being concerned about being robbed or arrested. They are coming out of the shadows for the first time to play in a game that is, for some, 5 minutes from home.
    2) I am very new to logging my poker experiences. Sorry if I am making mistakes as I get more experienced at it. My bad. I will work on improving.
    3) Thanks for the feed back on the Hand History.
    As far as the $40 goes, I thought I had put V1 all in on the turn. I could not see his stack very well from the angle where I was sitting. I took a quick glance over and I was off by $40. I dealt with that error on the river. "Fishcakes" as you called him, was on the nut flush draw on the turn. Agreed, I did not give him good pot odds to make the call but he would have won the hand if one of his 9 outs would have come on the river. Once the river call came he couldn't fold for $40 more with a pot for $1,100+.
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    (Legendary as in the action is great, as evidenced by your hand histories.)

It's a more interesting question, as to whether he can fold. The straight math says no, but the handreading says yes. Not a big deal.

Nice going.
  • SammwiggSammwigg Red Chipper Posts: 102 ✭✭
    edited September 24 Accepted Answer
    persuadeo wrote: »
    (Legendary as in the action is great, as evidenced by your hand histories.)

It's a more interesting question, as to whether he can fold. The straight math says no, but the handreading says yes. Not a big deal.

Nice going.

Thanks for the clarification on legendary.

The villain did seem a bit too sticky once he decided to play a hand. He was someone I would not try to bluff past the flop.
  • SullySully Red Chipper Posts: 583 ✭✭✭
    edited September 25 Accepted Answer
    I would work really hard on understanding the difference between 100bb play 200bb+ play. They are very different and it looks like you will be able to play a lot of it.

Some thoughts:
    Value of hands with playabiity goes way up
    3 betting more
    Merged ranges for 3 betting
    Intelligently getting in there and mixing it up. Know your ranges and what you want to do with them.

For action games thin value is the name of the game. Determining how thin for each player is essential. Some players will go to the mat with a pair, others can't resist draws, others etc. You have to watch them all.

Finally I would say continue to study and work really hard on your game. Off table work is the key to never having to write "prey on the weaker players like myself" again.

Mindset is one of the most important things in poker. You have to believe in yourself

Your room just opened. You don't really know that this was 5-5 guys or whatever. This might be it. The Post-Oak might remain legendary.

Be prepared

Answers

• persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 23
    Sammwigg wrote: »

1) The Post-Oak room is clearly legendary.
    2) We need a review of poker terms in the RC Tools page. We've got BU vs. CO squeezes, opens from the BB, lead raises, and god knows what else going on these days. (Is this what happens when they burn the books?)
    3. You played these hands fine enough for this game. Reisoing 99 against these maniacs is going to be thin but probably profitable. Don't leave the $40 to bet on the end, that's just silly. Somehow fishcake called river though, when he could have saved it and bought Sammy some cigarettes. Guess he put you on the nut flush draw, lol!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file