Hand #4

zampana1970zampana1970 Red Chipper Posts: 549 ✭✭✭
I am 3betting vs a speedy LAG (think about what a 3bet is going to do - likely he’s going to call all his raises, so there is no folding here, so I want to create a pot with premium hands. If he never folds here is there no point in balancing with any bluffs? But there is a point in being unclear as to where my best hands are. Plus if I 3bet I want to call a lot of 4bets as it’s not going to be clear he isn’t playing into me lose, re the spew. But a 3bet does get me heads up)

3bet: 99+, AQs+, A5s-A2s, KQs, AQo+, call with pretty well everything the 4bet - maybe not the lower Ax or the AQo - 6.6%/88 combos
Call the raise: 88-22, AJs-A6s, KJs-K9s, QTs+, J9s+, T8s+, 97s+, 86s+, 76s, 65s, AJo-ATo, KJo+, QJo, JTo, T9o - 15.8%/210 combos

Again would be good to balance a little premium into the calling range…

So full range: 22+, A2s+, K9s+, QTs+, J9s+, T8s+, 97s+, 86s+, 76s, 65s, ATo+, KJo+, QJo, JTo, T9o - 22.5%, 300 combos

Calling with:

ATs is a call
77 is a call
KQo is a call

Flop 9s 6s 7d

On the flop with our calling range we are 50/50 against V’s full range. Him betting on the flop I don’t think means much. If he’s truly spewy he’s likely betting a major portion of his range. This flop hits our calling range better than his raising range (although is that true if he is truly LAG?)

Lets say this is his range to bet on the flop: 22+, AQs+, A9s, A7s-A6s, AsJs-AsTs, As8s, As5s-As2s, AdJd-AdTd, Ad8d, Ad5d-Ad2d, K9s, KsTs+, KdTd+, Q9s, QsTs+, QdTd+, J9s, JsTs, JdTd, T8s+, 97s+, 86s+, 76s, 65s, AKo, A9o-A6o, KTo+, QTo+, JTo - lets assume no slow playing because he’s thinks he needs to protect his sets and 2p against the FD

So what do I do with my range on this flop?
200 combos down to around 160
Let’s raise: 66, ATs, AsJs, As8s, As5s-As4s, KTs-K9s, KsJs, QTs, QsJs, J9s+, T9s, 97s, 76s, JTo - 4%/52 combos
Let’s call: 99-77, 55-22, A9s, A7s-A6s, As3s-As2s, T8s, 98s, 86s+, 65s, KJo+, QJo, T9o - 9%/108 combos

55 I’m calling
76 Im raising
FD mostly raising except for a couple of the smaller Ax that I’m gonna call - does it make any difference which of those I raise or call?

TURN: 9s 6s 7d Js

Ok so all my flushes came in and so did his. I feel like I want to bet my smaller flushes, check my bigger ones to induce a bluff on the river that you have to know is there, and I’m also going to check pretty well everything else. Maybe bet the Ks hands…

Bet: 99, 77-66, As2s, T8s, KsQh, KsQc, KsQd, KsJh, KsJc, KsJd, QsJh, QsJc, QsJd

Check: Monsters and smaller hands, 88, 55-22, A9s, A7s-A6s, As3s, 98s, 86s+, 65s, T9o - I feel like the T8ss for sure wants to be here too. Maybe one more Ax - not sure. A lot of my FD I bet so they’re not in this calling range, so pulling together anything interesting is a little tricky

Flushes - betting a couple and checking the bigger ones
87 checking
55 checking

And then if he check/raises me: I’m ALL IN with my monsters, my straight flush and any flush. Am I ever all in with a bluff? Will he fold here ever? If so then I need bluffs, but if not then no. And if so what would that bluff be? Those K FDs? What about the sets? Would I go all in with those looking for the house draw? Not as likely as the FD but still there are outs - with 99 the house is 9 outs, assuming he doesn’t have a better set. He could easily c/r lesser flushes, a fD, etc, so I really have to be really to push most everything - MAYBE I could see a 66 or 77 fold, def T8 straight fold (as there’s no redraw). What about a bet/call with those sets and a push with the made hands and the FD to the K?

Comments

• Ben HaylesBen Hayles RCP Coach Posts: 16 ✭✭
    Hey nice job again @zampana1970 . I like keeping our aggressive ranges very sparse with just premium hands at all stages against this opponent (and also because we are 52BB deep). I doubt this opponent will x/r bluff the turn, so I think you can respond more straightforwardly.
  • zampana1970zampana1970 Red Chipper Posts: 549 ✭✭✭
    Ok cool thanks @Ben Hayles - that makes sense. I guess in my mind it's a good part of the exercise to work through all the options, but youre right, keep eye on V and think through what he/she will do.

When you say just premium hands at stages against this V - does that mean you're dropping out your bluffs, or do you mean a more polarized range? Very little middle/thin value?
  • Ben HaylesBen Hayles RCP Coach Posts: 16 ✭✭
    More straightforward @zampana1970 . The opponent is not thinking on a deep enough level for you to warrant polarizing your ranges. How successful do you think bluffs are going to be against him? You can repeat the same exercise though with a smarter villain and see how that changes your ranges - I think there's a lot to be gained from doing this frequently throughout the workbook. It takes time, but you'll become more and more efficient as you progress.
  • zampana1970zampana1970 Red Chipper Posts: 549 ✭✭✭
    Ok @Ben Hayles this makes sense. Maybe I will go back and do a pass on this one with a "smarter" villain. Seems like that's the heart of this work, hey? Approach the exact same hand with multiple V types in mind and see how that radically adjusts the kinds of combos and hands we're playing and how we're playing them. Kind of an alternative world scenario for each hand. I definitely will do this once I've taken one pass through the book!
  • Mark FlemingMark Fleming Red Chipper Posts: 76 ✭✭
    Hand 4
    Preflop: I am heads up, on the button, with a Spewy Lag who opened for 3BB. Spewy has a slightly bigger stack than me. The chip leader has folded. I have a strong TAg table image. I would have 3B with AA-JJ,AKo,AKs-AQs. I call with a range that includes ATs, 77, and KQo, 17% (226) TT-22,AQo-ATo,KQo-KTo,QJo-QTo,JTo,AJs-ATs,KQs-KTs,QJs-QTs,JTs-J9s,T9s-T8s,98s,87s,76s,65s,54s.

Spewy is on 47% (272) AA-22,AKo-A2o,KQo-K7o,QJo-Q8o,JTo-J8o,T9o-T8o,98o,87o,76o,65o,AKs-A2s,KQs-K7s,QJs-Q8s,JTs-J8s,T9s-T7s,98s-97s,87s-86s,76s-75s,65s-64s,54s-53s,43s.

Flop :9s:7d:6s
    Spewy CBets 5.4 BB. With Spewy on 50% of previous range (272) my range equity leads 55/45. I can count on Spewy to build the pot for me. I will pot control by calling with a range of 29% of previous (60) TT-55,J9s,T9s-T8s,98s,87s,76s,65s,54s,AsJs,AsTs,KsQs,KsJs,KsTs,QsJs,QsTs,JsTs. I’ve got a fair number of gutshots and OESD and a modicum of FD left to go. My range covers every possible hand. This will be my second call so Spewy will continue trying to push me off my hand.

Turn :Js
    Surprise, Spewy checks. He fears my flush draws. I bet with 68% of previous (38) which includes made flushes and 87 but not 55; I'm on 99-66,J9s,T8s,98s,87s,76s,54s,AsTs,KsQs,KsTs,QsTs. My FDs are predominately weak, but so are his. He is ahead on OESD.
  • PeanutBoyPeanutBoy CanadaRed Chipper Posts: 7 ✭✭

Villain opens from MP1 to 3BB, it folds to us we are on the Button

While building your calling range here, be sure to remove any hands that you would 3bet with. Consider the advantages and disadvantages of each play within the context of the final table.

Are you more likely to call or 3bet with:
    ATs call
    77 call
    KQo call

There are a lot of implications to consider for this particular spot. The fact that villain is a spewy LAG, the fact that he covers us and ICM implications. We do have a sizable stack that allows us some leeway and our image is of a TAG. I think that we could 3 bet with very value oriented range expecting our opponent to call a lot.

call: 99-22,AQo-AJo,KQo,AJs-A2s,KQs-KTs,QJs-QTs,JTs,T9s-T8s,98s,87s,76s
    3bet: AA-TT,AKo,ATo,KJo,QJo,AKs-AQs,K9s,Q9s,J9s,97s,65s

we call
    Flop: 9s7d6s

Consider all of the combinations in your range and how many you wish to continue with. Think about the mutual danger of getting involved in a large pot with this opponent.

Would you raise, call, or fold with:
    5♥5♠ : call
    76: raise
    Flush Draws: call

Villain bets 5.4BB

We want to win chips not put our tournament life at risk, unless we have villain dominated. I think a careful approach and pot control would be the best strategy. We need to continue with at least 71.6% of our range when facing this bet size on the flop. I think a polarized re-raise strategy would be good considering that there is a lot of possibility for this board texture for premium hands to become garbage from flop to turn to river. I would elect to re-raise with all my sets, and 2 pairs cause those type of hands are the one that require the most protection from straights and flush draws. To balance my re-raise range I would include all my gut shots with a 10. I would fold the bottom end of my range that have no draws and missed the flop entirely.

fold (28): 44-22,KQo,Ah4h,Ac4c,Ah3h,Ac3c,Ah2h,Ac2c,KhQh,KcQc,KhJh,KcJc,QhJh,QcJc
    call(54%):88,55,AQo-AJo,AJs,A9s-A5s,T9s-T8s,98s,87s,Ad4d,As4s,Ad3d,As3s,Ad2d,As2s,KdQd,KsQs,KdJd,KsJs,QdJd,QsJs
    raise(18%):99,77-66,ATs,KTs,QTs,JTs,76s

we call
    Turn:9s7d6sJs

villain checks

Your opponent seems to have slowed down and this looks like a good spot to take over the betting. Would you bet with your entire range here? Would you bet or check behind with:

Made Flushes : bet
    87 :bet
    5♥5♠: bet

Villain checking here makes him super polarized, either he as the nuts or he doesn't have anything. I think we can bet with our best hands and hands that have missed entirely, or are drawing to the nuts. The logic here is that if he does have a premium hand and plays back at us is easy with all those types of hands to see where we are at. The hands we can check are marginal hands that can stand a bet on the river and our backdoor diamond draws that didn't get there that we can easily check/fold.

bet:88,55,A8s,A5s,T9s-T8s,98s,87s,As7s,As4s,As3s,As2s,KdQd,KsQs,AsQh,AsQc,AsQd,AsJh,AsJc,AsJd
    check:AJs,A9s,A6s,Ah7h,Ac7c,Ad4d,Ad3d,Ad2d,KdJd,AcQh,AdQh,AhQc,AdQc,AhQd,AcQd,AhQs,AcQs,AdQs,QdJd,AcJh,AdJh,AhJc,AdJc,AhJd,AcJd

Mp1 folds.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file