Poker Plays You Can Use, Volume 2 released

Doug HullDoug Hull RCP Coach Posts: 1,876 -
edited November 2018 in Coaching & Commercial
You can buy it direct here
or on
Amazon here

w75nf974idse.png

This book is in the same style as the first. There are 50 hand histories and new missions. The hand histories are broken down into tactics, strategy and unforced errors. The missions all focus on off table study without computers where we work on better understanding how to play against specific opponents.
Co-founder Red Chip Poker,
Author Poker Plays You Can Use
Author Poker Workbook for Math Geeks

Comments

• tfaziotfazio Red Chipper Posts: 819 ✭✭✭
    Hope @kagey doesn't mind me saying, congratulations and much success with your latest book, Poker Plays you can use part 2. We were just discussing it in our weekly group and all agreed how important part 1 was in our poker evolution and how practical it has been, +ev. Part 2 is sure to be well received. Thanks for taking the time to write it.
  • MonadMonad Red Chipper Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭✭
    PPYCUV1 was a great book that still fills a unique niche. Best of luck w/ this one.
  • Doug HullDoug Hull RCP Coach Posts: 1,876 -
    Thank you both. I am pretty excited to see this one to market. I really think I captured the spirit of the first and have a lot more to say in this one. I think the Missions are particularly actionable and are the inspiration for a new project I am outlining for later.
  • MaxPowerJuniorMaxPowerJunior Red Chipper Posts: 41 ✭✭
    Has this been proofread better than poker workbook for math geeks? I bought that as soon as it came out and was disappointed with the mistakes.
  • kageykagey Red Chipper, KINGOFTAGS Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has this been proofread better than poker workbook for math geeks? I bought that as soon as it came out and was disappointed with the mistakes.

yeah, those mistakes really hurt your winrate!
    Two totally different kinds of proofreading, lol. Without reworking a problem, an answer key error is invisible. The text part of Geeks was spot on. The answer key suffered from spots where automation gone awry got some mistakes in early printings.

In a hand history book, typos are grammar. Much easier to find and fix. We got them. If we did not, they should not matter for instructional purposes.
  • Chris SChris S Red Chipper Posts: 60 ✭✭
    Is there a kindle version? I only see a hard copy on amazon.
  • tfaziotfazio Red Chipper Posts: 819 ✭✭✭
    Yes there is scroll further down
    @MaxPowerJunior I have the book and it is pretty tight well written and edited
  • HalHal Red Chipper Posts: 14 ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Does buying via the direct link only ship to US?

And I don't see a hard copy version on Amazon-Canada...
    Will ship anywhere. If it gives you problem on my threeBarrelBluff.com e-mail me your address, we will arrange.

Doug
    Thanks Doug, sent a PM.
    It's Gumroad that is insisting on a US address.
  • MidnightFoxMidnightFox Red Chipper Posts: 321 ✭✭✭
    Just got the book on kindle. My Kindle Paperwhite says the book is incompatible with the device, so I’m reading it on my phone for now.
    I’m only a few hands in and already finding many confirming and helpful thoughts for my personal game. Very readable with lucid poker thinking.
    edited November 2017
    @Doug Hull
    The first plays you can use book is a normal kindle file that can be read on a tradition Kinlde E-reader. Your math book is in the form of an “E-Textbook”, which can’t be read by E-readers, but rather tablets/phones/kindle fire-only(would probably be totally unreadable on a Ereader).

I noticed there are a few pages imported from the math book in this book, as well as a decent number of other graphs(most noteably the player bios and their hands at the end). Was it too difficult to adapt these 30ish graphs to the format to the rest of the book, that would otherwise have been compatible with E-readers? I wonder if this subject is going to be covered by Ed’s upcoming book on self-publishing via Amazon... looking forward to that book if it’s still on the way...

Also, it’s exciting to see the book impliment Flop Falcon; is there more of this on the way? I would love to see a few hundred pages(or much more ^_^) of scenarios, with variations effecting their profitability one way or the other.
    :Jd:Tc
    Because my book is so heavy in tables, there were problems. As a regular e-book. Kindle munges tables badly. I could make all tables images, this makes the book very, very heavy. I could use the "textbook" option. The textbook essentially loses the flowing text, but keeps tables and pagination looking right.

Neither solution is ideal and a decision had to be made.
    I am curious to hear more about what you would like for a flop Falcon book.
    edited November 2017
    Doug Hull wrote: »
    I am curious to hear more about what you would like for a flop Falcon book.
    Oh, boy; so exciting.
    Okay, so let's divide the book up into types of postflop plans based on opponents.

Part 1. Solid Sal--The 2-5ish player who looks to get max value and hates to get drawn-out on, but is unbalanced, so when he chooses not to put in action, he can be barreled the way Ed talks about in the 2-5 section of The Course.
    Part 2. Sneaky Sam--Sneaky(not really) postflop nut-peddling 1-2 player who limp-calls way too many hands preflop that he folds mostly on the flop but sometimes on the turn if he is has an 8+out draw, and slowplays nutted hands on all streets, value cutting himself because he has no other option since he knows he would scare everyone away with his bets and we are the one betting for him with our barreling anyway. We barrel him until we hit his strong hand/slowplay threshold.
    Part 3. Vegas Val--Likes calling big preflop raises and sometimes puts the preflop raises in himself--though typically not as large as he is willing to call. He will call one time on the flop with most any hand to float/improve, so he can't be 1-barreled the way Sam who folds a ton on the flop and Sal who has a stronger preflop range but still folds plenty of flops. Val will call a second bet with many top and second pair hands as long as the bet isn't too big (unless he isn't overly suspicious in which he could call light). He can fold some on rivers but stacks-off lite in an opinionated way if he thinks he's being pushed around, allowing for value and bluff opportunities on the River. In general he thinks any top pair is worth calling two or three streets with, as long as he thinks we are a player who is capable of bluffing. He folds preflop to Nits except to stack them with implied odds with a PP or with any hand if he's feeling lucky, calling small/med bets post to try to catch a small hand to bust em with. If we have been card-dead we can use this pattern as the nit ourselves if he doesn't know us. If he knows we can barrel, this is primarly an oppontent for value, though we can still find turn and river barrels.
    Part 4. Mopey Matt--He has passed out with his head resting on the call button, so to speak. This might seems like an easy opponent because we know not to bluff; But most of us are missing out, on just how super-thin we should be going for value.
    Part 5. Crazy Calvin--Though still not a great player, you might think calling a huge bet with any top pair in any spot might be a good idea, but this player isn't quite as crazy as he seems. We need to find his strategy against us. How often is he floating when we are repping top pair+, and bluffing every scare card, and how much is he giving up upright, or giving up after floating? How much is he 1-barreling? This will help us form a bluffing/floating/bluff-catching strategy of our own against him.

Player/Plan Synopsis Section: We discuss the aforementioned aspects of the given player, and our general plan against them.

Falcon Section: In each Part we take a variety of starting hands to Flop Falcon. Then after we have run many individual hands against his pre and continuance range, we will discuss a range and why we are leavinig certain hands out based on our assumptions about the player and findings in flop falcon. Showing flop falcon reject us playing certain hands would perhaps be most helpful.

Flopzilla/Hold EQ Section: Then we move on to Fopzilla, using the Turn and River card window on the far right, to show us which potential cards are best for his range. We should then talk about if we just give up on those cards, or if we can find a way for our opponent to let us know that he has one of the hands we fear. For example, clearly against Sneaky Sam we have to just give up and let him value-cut himself as he tries to get us to bet when he has the hand we are repping, whereas Solid Sal doesn't want to miss value and doesn't want a river card to kill his action or allow for a cheap redraw, giving us info with which to slay him even though the card was good for his flop coninuance range. Or perhaps there is some cheap manipulation that can give us info with a small bet, or maybe the card is borderline bad for us so a live tell can help us decide. We should explore a tree of Turn and River cards if our oppontent requires it; some players play such that if we see a certain turn card, the hand is over and can give up unless we have hands X/Y/Z, in which only cards D/E/F are bad on the river because they kill our action, etc.
    In this section we are using Hold EQ and two flopzilla windows to match our range against his, discussing what we are doing with each section of our range exploitatively, and how we can play against different portions of that range through range manipulation and what our equity is against those cross-sections of his range, unless we are up against Mopey Matt for example who is calling no matter what; in which case we are actually up against the range as a whole and need to value according to that edge, as insanely thin as it might seem.

Variations Section: What, about everything we just went through with the scenario would be different, if we had to tweak our assumptions about how many offsuit broadways he would call OOP and then continue with when he is potentially dominated, for example? What changes in this opponent's range when he is getting suspicious of us, and how does that affect the assumptions and profitability in the scenario we just ran? What differences would there be if we were OOP for the same hand? How do these discoveries about a loss in postflop profitability bleed back into preflop. Is there a specific leak our opponent has of C-betting way too many hands and folding to C/R thus allowing us to play more junky suited hands OOP? During this section we revisit Flop Falcon also.

:Jd:Tc
    Thank you for this. Taking discussion off-line. I just sent you a sample of something I have been working on.
  • Alexis WAlexis W Red Chipper Posts: 28 ✭✭
    Just got the book yesterday; looks great so far!

One question: Based on the running head at the top of each page, I only see the Tactics, Unforced Errors, and Missions sections (starting on pages 11, 137, and 185, respectively).

I am unable to find the Strategy section. Is it there, but labeled differently?
    Oh damn it.... The headings reverted. MS Word tries to be "helpful" and apparently reverted the headings on the Strategy section. Will go on list of fixes.

Thanks!
    Doug
  • Alexis WAlexis W Red Chipper Posts: 28 ✭✭
    Doug Hull wrote: »
    Oh damn it.... The headings reverted. MS Word tries to be "helpful" and apparently reverted the headings on the Strategy section. Will go on list of fixes.

Thanks!
    Doug

So which hand should I consider to be the start of the Strategy section?
  • grindngrindn Red Chipper Posts: 74 ✭✭
    Doug, I just started reading the book. Will you be posting a list of fixes/errata somewhere in this forum?
    Grindn,

If there were any of any consequence, I would. There have not been, I don't expect any.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file