Too Eager with AK?

John KJohn K Red Chipper Posts: 61 ✭✭
I was playing 1c/2c NL 6max. Only been playing about 15mins so not many reads on opponents, although most players were limping most pots and my folding to nearly all my button raises. I had taken my stack from £2 to £3.06 so maybe feeling a little over confident. I had seen V1 call off and lose half his stack with middle pair.
So:
V 1 cut off (stack £1.86) limps 2c
V 2 Button(stack £1.69)limps 2c
Hero SB (stack £3.06) :Ac :Kd raises 10c
BB Folds
Flop :As :Jc :2c
Hero Checks? Maybe I should of bet here. My plan was not to scare the limpers off but your thoughts would be appreciated.
V1 bets 12c
V2 calls
Hero raised all in.
I decided either V would call any A or a Flush draw so I shoved
V1 called £1.64
V2 folded
Turn :8s
River :Qs
Villian shows :2h :2d

Obviously I was a bit premature but how should I have played this?

Comments

• Yanming ZYanming Z Red Chipper Posts: 105 ✭✭
    The SPR is 5-6 here, so we shouldn't be on auto stack off mode once we flop top pair.

The flop should be a clear bet, there are plenty of second bests that can call you, such as flush draws or worse Ax type of hands.

Once you check shove the flop, you are representing a very strong range, and now much less likely to get called by worse. Flush draws are no longer getting the right odds to call, especially you hold the blocker to the nut flush. Even AQ will have a hard time calling you.

Always be aware of what you are representing, if you represent a strong hand then you'll only get called by other strong hands.
  • AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭✭
    Holding the Ac blocker i do not mind check raising, cbetting, or check calling. All are viable options. I wouldn't shove though as you are shoving effective 1.76 into 30c or (54c) once they bet and call. I would prefer check raising to around 60c which is 5x their bet and shove all turns. Because you hold Ac the flush coming in on the turn won't matter much.

Usually low stakes you just want to keep betting with your range advantage.
  • John KJohn K Red Chipper Posts: 61 ✭✭
    Originally I thought I played badly because I didn't consider the set. Looking back I guess I played badly because I if the villain had have a weaker hand he may have folded.
    Do you you think I should of bet say half pot. If villain raises should I then fold.
  • Jónas SJónas S Red Chipper Posts: 202 ✭✭✭
    edited October 30
    If villain is ever only re-raising with sets or two pairs or better then you need to let it go but if he's capable of making the move with flush-draws and worse Ax then you need to call or raise. It all depends on the villain, but you give yourself no chance of finding out where villain is at if you just shove all in and he either folds all worse hands or calls with better.

You can't just fold top pair top kicker every time you get raised but against a nit I could do it without thinking about it.
    "My plan was not to scare the limpers off".

At these low stakes you should absolutely not be slow-playing. Go for value at these stakes. Fishes will be calling you with a lot of garbage and draws. People call with medium pocket pairs, Jx, all sort of naked flush-draws when playing up to ~10NL and even then you'll see some.

Don't let them get there for free but there's no need to push them out of the pot by over-betting either unless villain has given you a good reason to think he's not leaving.
  • John KJohn K Red Chipper Posts: 61 ✭✭
    Jónas S wrote: »
    "My plan was not to scare the limpers off".

At these low stakes you should absolutely not be slow-playing. Go for value at these stakes. Fishes will be calling you with a lot of garbage and draws. People call with medium pocket pairs, Jx, all sort of naked flush-draws when playing up to ~10NL and even then you'll see some.

Don't let them get there for free but there's no need to push them out of the pot by over-betting either unless villain has given you a good reason to think he's not leaving.

Thanks @Jonas. I'm struggling with this a bit. But getting there slowly. I think my problem is because even I can see that people these stakes play anything that hits the board it is quite difficult to put them on sets etc. But of course if they do have sets I lose more money.

Advice here has been great though so I guess it's just a matter of experience
    edited October 30
    I recommend getting a tool like FlopZilla so you can visualize the range of hands your villain can have depending on the amount of hands they play. If villain has 30% VPIP and you can visualize a 30% range of hands, then it's much easier to understand which kind of hands are out there that can call your bet, which kind of hands have to fold and which kind of hands are likely to raise you so you can get an idea on when you can go for value, when you can afford to let villain catch up (for example when he's drawing dead and you can get it all in by the river anyway) and when to give it up.

Yes, it's experience, but it's much more studying than plain playing experience. It's important to study hand-reading but at these micros you should essentially be going for value and avoid players who show up with insane aggression, especially if they have a history of being passive.
  • Martin DMartin D Red Chipper Posts: 10 ✭✭
    edited October 30
    As a general rule people who don't top up and limp pre in a cash game are fish. Don't slowplay fish, let them call you with their wide, thin value and shitty draws. Sometimes they are slowplaying a strong hand and beat you, but most of the time they just give you money when you bet for value.

Conversely, if you decide to slow play and they bet, just call with TPTK. A lot of the stuff you beat will fold to your X/R but will keep betting the turn even though you are still ahead, whereas none of the 2pairs/sets will fold if you are shovelling money at them. Sometimes Nut Flush Draws will call a shove there, especially if they have a pair or other draw on top, but because you have the Ac he can't have the NFD.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file