Good spot for a flop X/R?

Martin DMartin D Red Chipper Posts: 79 ✭✭
I'm trying to develop my flop X/R range at medium stacks,sorry if this is a bit basic.

Live low stakes tournament, a few hours in. I have circa 46BB, villain covers. Villain seems to be a solid player, but haven't spent that much time together. I remember him from a game 6 months ago when he tilted of the face of the earth, until that point he seemed solid. He saw me bust out and rebuy set under set early on (as it so happens I X/Red there too) and has only recently joined my current table.

There's a 1BB button ante. Villain opens for 2.6BB, I call with QJo (too loose? Price seemed too good.).

Pot is 6.7BB, flop is T87r. V bets 4.5BB. I don't think I have the odds to call but attempt a X/r to 12BB. I don't think I have the chips to float or the odds to chase, but I have plenty of outs against TP if called. I do think I have fold equity but difficult to assess exactly how much. Decent spot?
Tagged:

Comments

• AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 5,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Board is better for a callers range.

I'm lost on positions here... How many players? What position did villain raise from? What position are you in? Will he fold an over pair?

He will likely call or shove with an over pair. If he has AQ or AK he will likely fold. 77-TT are also shoving.

Helps to know positions..deeper stacks i like a x\r and apply turn pressure but with these stacks most hope is lost.
  • Martin DMartin D Red Chipper Posts: 79 ✭✭
    Sorry, forgot the positions. Villan opened from HJ, I called from BB.

8 including myself on the table at that point, 4 of whom had been proving quite fit or fold post flop, 3 recent joiners including V. Flop cbets and delayed cbets had been proving very profitable on this table.

I guesstimated villains opening range to be something like all suited Broadways, good unsuited Broadways, most PPs, suited aces (not sure how many) good unsuited aces, probably some high suited connectors. He definitely has some monsters available,
  • bigburge10bigburge10 Red Chipper Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭✭
    Im still thinking about the check raise option, I’m kind of on the fence, but probably fall on the call side with this particular hand. Anyway, regarding the outs against TP, be careful to consider V’s likely combos of T’s. Specifically T9, JT, and QT—not all of your pairs are clean outs. Just something to consider.
    That's very true @bigburge10 but doesn't that make a call even worse? I'd expect villain to Cbet his overs a lot of of the time so my QJ could be dominated even if he doesn't have value.

I'm not X/raising for value here, I don't think I have enough equity to X/c. I think QJ is my best possible candidate for this this move, as I would call my open enders, and I have plenty of hands I'm X/raising for value to the point I'm probably imbalanced to value on this move (not that V can know this).

I think if I'm not checkraising, I'm folding. Which brings me back to considering folding pre.
  • AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 5,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Calling 1.6bb more is fine to call bb with QJ here. One of the only positions i would do it from. You can also consider 3 betting to like 8bb since you block his calling range some preflop and he can likely 4 bet or fold.

As played i don't want to check raise flop cause his range is still too wide and stacks are not deep enough where your not putting your tourney life at risk. If you raise to 12bb you are already committing like 25% of your stack followed by a turn shove seeing how most of his cbet range should coninue for 1 more bet at least.

Im siding on calling once on the flop and evaluate the turn. If a scare card comes and he checks back you can donk bet a healthy size on the river. If he bets small you can x\r jam turn and rep slow played set or two pair. If he makes decent size bet you can easily get away.
    That's reasonable - I'm probably overusing my 100BB zoom logic (my previous game, trying to swap over).

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file