Limp ReRaised spot with QQ

OMG HeOMG He Red Chipper Posts: 52 ✭✭
The 3rd hand I played last night. Just sat down 1/2NL bought in for Table Max $300
Hero is in the SB dealt :QC: :QD:
UTG+1 Limps $2 ($400) folds around to Hero, I raise to $12, BB folds, UTG+1 reraises to $30
My thought:
(Villian looks to me like standard OMC, as soon as he limp reraised, my Alarm bells went off, This being the 3rd hand I played I resorted to my standard open range/reraise range for OMC which is KK, AA, and maybe AK? Not 100% sure OMC would reraise or limp raise with AK or QQ, I highly doubt OMC would do this with QQ)
I call, Pot is now $65
Flop :5H: :3D: :8S: , I check, Villan bets $30, I call Pot is now $125
Turn :9H: I check, Villain bets $50
Hero???
I check raised to $100. ( My thought was if at the time if Villain has AK, he can't call.
Thinking about it the day after, I think AK wasn't really in his range, I think I should have just called the $50, see if the river helped me out. If not check fold.)
as played tho
Villain went All in.
Hero???

Comments

• Zero CoolZero Cool Red Chipper Posts: 233 ✭✭✭
    I don't even need one hand to count the number of times I've seen a 1/2 player back-raise with less then AA or KK. Still your hand is too good to fold pre.
    OMG H wrote: »
    ( My thought was if at the time if Villain has AK, he can't call.

I really don't like this statement. Why are you trying to get him to fold worse hands? Your raise basically allows him to play perfectly against you he can fold his bluffs and call with his over-pairs. On the turn I don't mind a call or a fold but I see no reason to raise.
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually he only needs to make about another $50 on the river if his A or K are good in that scenario, which you'll pay off if he bets that small, so even that min-raise, min-protection thinking isn't very strong as he should still call with AK.
  • bigburge10bigburge10 Red Chipper Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭✭
    If this player is indeed an OMC and is doing this with the usual hands (AA & KK), then calling a reasonable sizing and set mining is an okay option. If the sizing is too much, folding is not out of the question. Couple of things to consider:

1.) You're set mining. If you catch the 538r board, then you don't want to be calling bets with QQ. If V chooses poor sizing, then you can certainly make some calls assuming you have some implied odds. I know it's tempting to think "Wow, QQ looks pretty good here!" It does, but not against this type of player.

2.) Make sure you actually have the implied odds. If OMC isn't going to go broke with AA, then folding preflop is okay. A true OMC player rarely goes broke on any given hand, even when holding AA. They simply don't like to pile chips into the pot, so implied odds usually don't exist against them.

I actually witnessed a very similar situation last night. An OMC limped UTG, a Bad Reg type player raised with QQ from late position, OMC back raises to a significant amount and Bad Reg jams for 200bbs, OMC calls. Guess what? OMC has AA. Bad Reg is in disbelief. He starts asking the table "What could I have done? I can't get away from QQ. What a cooler!". The reality is that this isn't a cooler at all. If this player was paying attention to the game, he would know that he can, and should, get away from this hand preflop to this particular player. They don't have AK. They don't have QQ. They don't have JJ. They have KK or AA. That's it. OMC will never exploit this player.
  • AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 5,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reads are useless if you don't use them.

AK can still be in his range but heavily discounted.

Because of the stationy games i play in i started to have a more balanced limp 3 bet range where they dont always attack my limps. Ill let him some suited broadways which play well in mW pots but if i feel someone is using exploitive bet sizing, saying i limp $5 and 2 others limp behind, co raises to $20 (small), sb calls $20 here i would raise to around $90 with some Axs, QTs, AA, KK, AK hands which is pretty balanced given i only do it at a small frequency. Just using this as an example to show they don't always have AA and KK.

As played i am flatting the 3 bet pre, calling flop, and likely folding the turn. You can can again and see what happens on the river, but raising turn doesn't make much sense. AK is unlikely to barrel and you cant rep 76s or sets very well on this board given preflop action.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file