Tried out a donk and got bonked

Manny HManny H Red Chipper Posts: 14 ✭✭
Good people!
Please let me know what you think of this hand:

10NL6max ignition

Hero 10.68 BB :Kd :Td Prolly appear tighter and a little passive as I have had more CC hands than raise hands (small PPs) but fairly agro post (been betting those PP).

MP 17.53 43/19/6.7 (49hands) has become much more agro since building his stack.

BTN 9.47 31/13/0 (16hands) looking a little passive fishy so far (has already reloaded)

PRE: EP F, MP Limp, CO .30, BTN C, SB F, Hero C, MP Flat

Flop: pot 1.25 :Kc :Qd :Ts
Hero .85 MP C, CO(PFR) F, BTN C

So, I NEVER donk, but this flop looked like the correct spot. I figured I am ahead of so many hands here that either have good value or a strong draw that I should bet here for value and equity denial.
I figure I am ahead of 110 combos of PFR/CC (that continue) and behind to 45 (I cannot yet do this calc in the moment, but I figure it is a lot compared to half as many)
Ahead of: AK, AQ, AT, A9, KJ, K9, QJ, QT, Q9, JJ, JT, and the PFR could have AA
Behind to: AJ, J9, KQ, TT and the PFR could have KK, QQ
So this is why I donked here. I think I can value bet three streets of clean cards with 3 players behind me as well as make it pricy for gut shots to continue.

***Am I far enough ahead to donk for value here?
***Is this even in the grey zone or is this a check all day?

Turn: pot 3.8 :4S:
Hero 2.75, MP F, BTN C

So the PFR folded on the flop making me pretty confident in my hand here. I give weight to the draw hands as MP is playing lots of hands and I still see BTN as passive fishy.

I think in hindsight I should have X/C (depending on the bet size- passive fish bets big I should fold) and X/C a clean river. But I bet to deny all the Ax, Jx hands that equity.

River: pot 9.30 :2s
Hero X, BTN AI 5.57, Hero call

Cant fold this River, MAYBE fold on a J, but my intention OTT was to X/C any river.
BTN shows up with :Th :Tc

I'm obviously still learning and I haven't tried donking much at all. Please let me know what you think about my thought process.
Tagged:

Comments

• bigburge10bigburge10 Red Chipper Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 8
    Manny H wrote: »
    So, I NEVER donk, but this flop looked like the correct spot. I figured I am ahead of so many hands here that either have good value or a strong draw that I should bet here for value and equity denial.
    What equity are you denying when you donk this flop at this sizing? If you're donking to induce a raise or donking because you don't think V's will bet, then ok. However, given the texture, it's very likely that V's will bet this board. So, attempting a check raise might be a better option. Lastly, think about your range from the BB here. How often would you be betting this board?

Make a note about BTN here. He isn't raising with bottom set on a scary board. So, it's likely that when this player does raise, they have the nuts.

• Manny HManny H Red Chipper Posts: 14 ✭✭
    thank you for your answer bigburge10