Flop decision facing donk bet in multi-way pot

theClubbertheClubber Red Chipper Posts: 167 ✭✭
edited May 2015 in Live Poker Hands
This hand is from a very loose 1/2 cash game. The three villains in this hand are each in at last 33% of all hands no matter the raiser or their position. Most will call one barrel if they have any piece. Not surprisingly, all three of them are stuck, which has generally made them more reluctant to give up on hands chasing losses. Stacks are deep at the table due to multiple re-buys. Hero has all the villains covered with the largest stack about 250.

Pre flop 3 people limp. Hero raises to 12 with :Ac:Kd . The small blind calls and the two loosest villains.

Flop (50) :Jd:Th:9c Villain in the SB donk bets for 25 and both players call.

Do I have enough equity to call the flop getting 5:1? If you do call, how would you proceed on a turn A or K?

Note, I realize that at this table, my pre-flop raise size was too small. I would definitely get action from 16-20.

Comments

• SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 4,069 -
    2 things:

1. 100% agreed with you that PF should be MUCH larger than just $12 =)
    2. You mentioned that you covered with about $250...but are these guys playing $100 stacks, $175, $200, etc.? Assuming they aren't extremely short, I call closing action here.
    📑 Grab my custom poker spreadsheet pack right now.
    📘 Start the Preflop & Math Poker Workbook today.
  • theClubbertheClubber Red Chipper Posts: 167 ✭✭
    SB that led out had about 175. First caller around 200 second caller closer to 250
  • Christian SotoChristian Soto RCP Coach Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭✭
  • Stu PidassoStu Pidasso Red Chipper Posts: 50
    SNAP

You snap call because there are enough implied odds if hero spikes a queen on the turn correct? Suppose the turn is a King and one of the villains shoves...Suppose it is an Ace and one of them shoves?
  • theClubbertheClubber Red Chipper Posts: 167 ✭✭
    My main concern is improving but still being second best. K gives any Qx a straight and A could give someone two pair, or SB could already have 2 pair beat.
    Does your opinion change if the board has a flush draw?
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The queen or the eight are out there; they are calling with something. You only need 8:1 to make the call, meaning capturing one more bet on the turn of at least $75 will make this a breakeven call. A naked eight will rarely raise, meaning one of the callers likely has it; a queen in the field may have raised or be in the leader's hand. You can balance the fact that one queen is probably dead, worsening your odds, against the hope of stacking a straight.

Has to be call if you can have the restraint to not go broke on a K, the most poisonous card for you. An ace is slightly different, as it will not necessarily improve the hands of a bunch of loose players.
  • jimbo123jimbo123 Red Chipper Posts: 107 ✭✭
    Id probably let this one go unless its a particularly decent table, theres a good chance somebody has one of your king outs as well although its a minor thing. If we bink our gutter i dont think were making a ton of money here unless the queen hits and the guy has a lone king. I think if we were say 50bb deeper we can peel off one, i just dont see this makimg much money though based on the available info.
  • starling81starling81 Red Chipper Posts: 88
    SNAP

SNAP++ >< >< ><
  • ivandurstivandurst Red Chipper Posts: 124 ✭✭
    Absolutely call and play poker. You're not going to get yourself in too much trouble, just have a plan: you're folding if you spike a K and get any significant action, you're bet/folding an A on turn if checked to/calling if led into, and probably folding river if led into again (or calling a smaller sized bet). Easy :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file