Having the nuts on the river.

Adrian RactliffeAdrian Ractliffe Red Chipper Posts: 19 ✭✭
If you have the nuts on the river and call a shove, is it wrong to wait to see your opponents hand?
Villian Jammed on the turn, over betting the $100 pot and putting me all in for an extra $175. The turn put the third diamond on the board, but I wasn’t folding trip aces. The river paired the board and I was so excited I turned over my cards announcing full house to scoop the pot that had me wondering if I should have waiting to see what cards Villian was holding.

Is it wrong knowing you most always have the best hand? The Villian was by far the chip leader on the table with a stack of over $1000 on a 1/2 table with a $100 max buy in.

Comments

• AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭✭
    Information helps, but its not wrong to turn your hand up if you know he had a flush. He could have quads though, then your giving away free info of stacking off with a set or trips on a 3 flush board.

Trip or set aces?

If he holds 55 on A35A board and you hold AK. You only have 7 outs instead of 10 so your roughly 15%. Are you not folding because you have trips or you don't care your losing money long run?
  • Adrian RactliffeAdrian Ractliffe Red Chipper Posts: 19 ✭✭
    Hey Austin, thanks for the feed back.
    I just wanted to know should you wait to see villains hand even if you know you most likely have the winning hand because you’ve paid to see?

I’ve been at the table for about 2 orbits and won a race to double me up. No info on any players as I am an amateur and intoxicated. Haha.
    I had pocket aces in middle position. 1/2 table. I raise to $25 with $225 odd left behind, button calls (chip leader) and the rest fold.
    Flop comes
    3c Ad Kd
    I bet $40, Villian calls (pot 133)
    Turn
    8d
    I check and Villian moves all his black chips in to put me all in.
    I conside myself an amateur player, my thought process is that I have a very strong hand that can’t fold in this spot.
    Is there a chance I should be folding here?
    With the Ace and king of diamonds on the board this blocks a lot of combos to a flush.
    I announce that I can’t fold, scared of the flush or diamond on the river.
    River comes another king and I turn over my hand instantly.
    He mucks and I asked him what he had with no reply.
    @Austin

• tripletiretripletire Red Chipper Posts: 229 ✭✭✭
    @Adrian Ractliffe It really depends on how you feel/how you want to use that information. You totally have the right to wait to see his hand as he was the last aggressor, yet he might see it as an attack on his ego like some players do. With the way he responded after you showed the nuts after the river paired, I'd be fine waiting to see his hand if I were a recreational. If he were instead a kind older gentleman who seemed embarrassed to have gotten called, and I were a pro and he was a recreational, the script changes quite a bit. It's all your interpretation of etiquette.
  • dnoyeBdnoyeB Red Chipper Posts: 48 ✭✭
    If I get raised strong I want to see that hand. If it's just a routine ending I don't care too much. I always show in order though so it's not a concern for me.
  • Faustovaldez123Faustovaldez123 Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    If you have the nuts on the river and call a shove, is it wrong to wait to see your opponents hand?
    Villian Jammed on the turn, over betting the $100 pot and putting me all in for an extra $175. The turn put the third diamond on the board, but I wasn’t folding trip aces. The river paired the board and I was so excited I turned over my cards announcing full house to scoop the pot that had me wondering if I should have waiting to see what cards Villian was holding.

Is it wrong knowing you most always have the best hand? The Villian was by far the chip leader on the table with a stack of over $1000 on a 1/2 table with a $100 max buy in.

No it's not wrong, part of the game.

Just show if its a weaker player that obviously doesn't want to show his hand, then yes just show, keep them happy and move on.
    COACHING NOW AVAILABLE HERE
  • Jonathan KJonathan K Red Chipper Posts: 5 ✭✭
    Does it change if the player says "you win" and essentially concedes the pot? What is the consensus around waiting to see their hand, what they played, how they played it, etc... if they are telling you they cannot win or you know you have the best hand. I did this once and the guy went off on me simply because I wanted to see how he played the hand. He bet flop, checked turn and bet river on a QTJ4K board (no flushes possible) and I called with KQ. Told me it was bad etiquette because I was slow-rolling. Thoughts?
  • AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭✭
    I had pocket aces in middle position. 1/2 table. I raise to $25 with $225 odd left behind, button calls (chip leader) and the rest fold.
    Flop comes
    3c Ad Kd
    I bet $40, Villian calls (pot 133)
    Turn
    8d
    I check and Villian moves all his black chips in to put me all in.

Is there a chance I should be folding here?

With the Ace and king of diamonds on the board this blocks a lot of combos to a flush.

no chance your folding. Strong raise preflop and as you stated AdKd on the board blocks a lot of flushes. He may be turning a hand like KQs into a bluff that floated the flop or has the case ace with a diamond and turning it into a bluff for a 1.5x pot bet. SPR was only 4.5 going to the flop, so there is very little chance I fold top set or any set unless its a 4 flush board where less combos of flushes are not blocked.

You started AdKd block a lot of flushes, so what was your plan with checking the turn? Seems like you had the info you needed but defaulted to a conservative line of checking the turn when a scare card comes.